• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

My Elgrand drove perfect today!!!

Reverend RobP

Admin
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Elgrand
E50
Region
Yorkshire
Following on from comments about only seeing negative posts or threads about problems on forums. Here's a thread to post your happy motoring days ๐Ÿ˜
A quick 'driven x amount of miles with no problems' will do ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Let's combat the negativity and get a sense of the amount of trouble free motoring that many enjoy ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Mines snuggled up for winter but still starts first time and settles straight into a silky V6 purr, everything works as it should and is lovely and clean with water beading off nicely (thanks @Karl / kumo detailing)

I picked up my Elgrand on the 24th March 2017.
I have covered 40,980kms in that time (25,464 miles).

In all that time, I have had ONE mechanical issue which cost me all of about ยฃ100 to resolve and it was off the road for 3 days whilst I waited for various parts to arrive and was fixed on my drive by a monkey with a spanner. I also had some help from @dognero in diagnosing issues, and he was much more confident than me.

I have had it serviced, changed discs and pads and a couple of drop links. That's about it.

There's my history caught up... this morning I drove to work flawlessly. Music on, nice cruise in :D

Yeah it's all too common to see the negative. Owners who aren't "car people" will join a forum when they have an issue and post about it. Most of the time those people then don't join in with the community after they have fixed the problem.

You don't get many people doing exactly this, just posting about the good things :)

Paid ยฃ9500
Reptuable dealer
Grade 4.b
60273 miles on the clock

I have done
10000 miles in 19 months
ยฃ600 in total spent on.........
Front and rear pads
2 services (1 the plugs were changed.)
Undersealed.

ยฃ350 rear cat replacement pipes.
Run mainly on Tesco 99ron
Always drive like I have stole it. (apart when following @Mark (Madfish) ) ;)
Cheap tax
Cheap insurance
Mods not included.
Never failed emissions or test

I had a 2008 Range Rover 3.5 Petrol Vouge SE before the Elgrand.
Bought it for ยฃ21000
Had it 18 month
Cost me
ยฃ650 a year road tax
ยฃ700 for 2 services
Over ยฃ6000 in parts
And sold it for ยฃ10500

The Elgrand is not as comfy as the Range Rover was but I know it will get me where I want to go with a good degree of comfort.
I can get loads in the boot.
Carry 8 people and luggage.
Can sleep in it.
Goes like shit off a stick and never complains.
Turns heads better than 10 naked supermodels.
And I will not loose a fortune owning it.
Over the moon I found this place and seen sense.
Big thanks to the forum.

Remember that all cars have problems.

Last edited:
I love mine, Iโ€™ve had it on the road just over a year now and have had all the things changed replaced that usually go wrong. Iโ€™ve got straight through rear cats, ruthenium plugs, cleaned and reseated swirl flaps, new disks and pads etc etc and service it regularly :)

I just wish I had a job that got me out in it more often, lol

Paid ยฃ4750 for a fresh self imported van direct from Japan, 4B, 117,000kms, on the road 28th Aug 2018, no major problems, just lots of replacements and upgrades by choice :)

If anything happened to mine, I'd just go and import another one (through a dealer next time though) :)

Last edited:
Bushes, drop links ,wheel bearings, brake discs and one caliper, daisey is 15 years old and you would expect to have to do this on any car of that age.. engine wise not a single problem in 3 years of ownership, have regular services but I will shorten the time between now as she is approaching 200,000 klm..

Full back story.
Owned 8 years. Done over 90,000 miles. Including 7 road trips to the south of france without a niggle. Everything works as it should, and love getting in it everyday to go to work or out and about.

Only repair cost issues ive had in that time,
Rocker cover gaskets change.
Back box snapped.
3 sets of brake pads.
Ball joints and drop links both sides.
Wheel bearing.
Rubber gators.
New battery.
Service costs. Including timing belt change (vg33 engine)
Wheel Tracking.
Tyres.
Bulbs.
Rust bubble repair to rear arch and tailgate.
New front wing (due to accident damage) front and rear bumper repairs and paint.

Nothing major expense wise and spread out over the years of ownership, works out at very little every year.

Long live happy motoring!!

On the other hand I've spent an absolute fortune buying bits to go on it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚

Full back story.
Owned 8 years. Done over 90,000 miles. Including 7 road trips to the south of france without a niggle. Everything works as it should, and love getting in it everyday to go to work or out and about.

Only repair cost issues ive had in that time,
Rocker cover gaskets change.
Back box snapped.
3 sets of brake pads.
Ball joints and drop links both sides.
Wheel bearing.
Rubber gators.
New battery.
Service costs. Including timing belt change (vg33 engine)
Wheel Tracking.
Tyres.
Bulbs.
Rust bubble repair to rear arch and tailgate.
New front wing (due to accident damage) front and rear bumper repairs and paint.

Nothing major expense wise and spread out over the years of ownership, works out at very little every year.

Long live happy motoring!!

On the other hand I've spent an absolute fortune buying bits to go on it ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚
The good old mods to repair ratio ... donโ€™t bear thinking about ..

I'm never gonna add up what all the bits/mods have cost!!! I'd probably scare myself ๐Ÿ˜‚
The good old mods to repair ratio ... donโ€™t bear thinking about ..

Even with all the costs of mods/parts for your/our Elgrands, it would still be a better financial option than owning another manufacturers van :)

Even with all the costs of mods/parts for your/our Elgrands, it would still be a better financial option than owning another manufacturers van :)
That's probably very true! The fact that I've owned it so long, compared to having to buy a new car every few years, far out ways what ive spent on it ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Paid ยฃ8500 19 months ago. Pop top fitted but nothing else. Approx 45000 miles equivalent on clock. Now approaching 30000 miles travelled since then. Another ยฃ2700 paid for lpg conversion, underseal, rear cars removed and towbar fitted. Minor prob with brake caliper only real issue...other than a leaking roof that defies any attempt to repair!!!! Love driving it but still have squeaky bum moments when I see some probs that others have. Didn't know about the forum before purchase. Definitely dodged a bullet as didn't do any checks before purchase as knew nothing about imports and dealer didn't offer any info. Fully intend to keep it as long as I can although wouldn't buy again from that dealer.

Back