• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Let's go there. A balanced discussion: The Elgrand v the T5/6 Transporter?

You're lucky to do labour yourself, it would be rather costly otherwise.
I've had in mind older transporters with more powerful motor and definitely higher mileage but maybe just spreading rumours.
Happy motoring
Yes, to replace the Mechatronics unit for new and labour would be over £3k 😬
Fortunately mine was repairable and as such didn't need 'coding' to the car.
I've not tried the DSG in a van.

It’s always nice to pull up to a couple of VW,s.

They see you coming, then hear the rumble of the 3.5 V6…. On this occasion you could almost lip read the VW owner saying to his Mrs, “ Don’t look, don’t look,”

Then pull up and open two electric sliding doors at the same time and retract the roof monitor.

Get out and stretch your legs then walk over and ask if he does free quotes for plastering work you need doing.

View attachment 99737
View attachment 99739
View attachment 99738

You know what the first question is going to be……how much££££ was that?
Nice pics down New Brighton is it? 👍😉

Nice pics down New Brighton is it? 👍😉
It is newbrighton, Perch Rock, my pooch loves the sand and then takes great pleasure in leaving it all in the van.

We have a static caravan at Thurstaston on the cliff top, so our doggie drive is, WestKirby, Hoylake and newbrighton.

👍🏻

I've skipped the middle bit of the thread for now, if your going to compare, surly it has to be on either the same price point or age, how can you compare a 2009 with a 2017.

It is newbrighton, Perch Rock, my pooch loves the sand and then takes great pleasure in leaving it all in the van.

We have a static caravan at Thurstaston on the cliff top, so our doggie drive is, WestKirby, Hoylake and newbrighton.

👍🏻
Nice down there. Used to live in Wallasey Village when was a kid so loved going down "Newbo” 😆 Still venture down there as have happy memories around there. 👍 Sounds like a similar drive around the Wirral I do sometimes, like going around the country roads. 😉

I had a Mercedes V230 which was the 2.3 v6 petrol engine (I have never owned a diesel vehicle), and although they are van based it was good. I only got rid of it when the transmission started to leak and was told it would cost £3000 to fix. I did consider getting it done as it was a great bus and gave us no trouble, and did not use any oil. But it was getting old and not worth spending that sort of money on. So when I was looking to replace it, my first thought was another Merc, until I saw the Elgrand, and I was hooked. We all know the fanastic points about the Elgrand, but two things I miss that the Merc had was, the third row of seats centre armrest was a fold out table, and the fact that the seat belts in all the rear seats are full belts even when the middle row are facing the rear. Unlike the Elgrand that only have lap belts when facing the rear. Other than that the Elgrand is miles better, and I can live without those two features. The Elgrand is more comfortable and quieter than the Merc. I can't comment on the Volkswagen as I have never had one.

For once something I've got experience on
I've had loads of elgrands. E50,e51s
A transporter t5.1 shuttle dsg with 200k and currently a t6 dsg ex rac
Ride wise my t6 is on sport line springs . And I think it handles as well as a stock e51.
Power wise mine is a 150 bhp and with the torque I don't think it'll be far behind a 3.5 on pull away at least.
The dsg is far better than the auto in the Nissan.
Reliability wise the VW does has common occuring issues, driveshafts,top mounts fail .
Price wise I don't think there's much in it a late S3 is roughly the same a a late T5 on equal years.
Mods are so much cheaper on the VW due to the competition.
My dsg averages 35mpg .
I'm selling mine because I've gone back to using a 3.2d e50 .only to free up some cash. I've used the e50 a week and I'm seriously missing the VW.
E51 and transporter is only comparable in kombi , shuttle or carravelle versions

Attachments

• IMG20240330114750.jpg
    IMG20240330114750.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 7
For once something I've got experience on
I've had loads of elgrands. E50,e51s
A transporter t5.1 shuttle dsg with 200k and currently a t6 dsg ex rac
Ride wise my t6 is on sport line springs . And I think it handles as well as a stock e51.
Power wise mine is a 150 bhp and with the torque I don't think it'll be far behind a 3.5 on pull away at least.
The dsg is far better than the auto in the Nissan.
Reliability wise the VW does has common occuring issues, driveshafts,top mounts fail .
Price wise I don't think there's much in it a late S3 is roughly the same a a late T5 on equal years.
Mods are so much cheaper on the VW due to the competition.
My dsg averages 35mpg .
I'm selling mine because I've gone back to using a 3.2d e50 .only to free up some cash. I've used the e50 a week and I'm seriously missing the VW.
E51 and transporter is only comparable in kombi , shuttle or carravelle versions
Similar to what a neighbour/mate of mine says. He's also got the manual, 150p (diesel), ex RAC, and said it shifts a bit. He's into cars too, so I'd trust his word.
He's had a few issues, but he did get on 97K miles.
I think the biggest one of the lot is the availability of parts, and ease of finding people to service/repair (but then that goes for any non-import).
Still though, I went for a spin in my Elgrand today and between driving and walking the dog, I saw 10-15 Transporters, but no Elgrands. So exclusivity is great. But that's negated by other irritants, such as mentioned above.

Similar to what a neighbour/mate of mine says. He's also got the 150p (diesel), ex RAC, and said it shifts a bit. He's into cars too, so I'd trust his word.
He's had a few issues, but he did get on 97K miles.
I think the biggest one of the lot is the availability of parts, and ease of finding people to service/repair (but then that goes for any non-import).
Still though, I went for a spin in my Elgrand today and between driving and walking the dog, I saw 10-15 Transporters, but no Elgrands. So exclusivity is great. But that's negated by other irritants, such as mentioned above.
Exactly .one of the reasons I don't like the transporterer is how common they are and the owners.
But when you can pick up a brand new set of delivery miles alloys and continental tyres from the top spec high line for 450 quid . And low mileage sportline suspension for 250 including fitting it helps to be common

My dsg averages 35mpg .
That's another good point. So ~ a 75% increase in mpg compared to an E51, giving say 20mpg.
Saying that, the mate I mentioned had a few issues with his Transporter in his first year, after getting it at 97K miles. Off the top of my head, the EGR valve (which I think they did under the warrenty they gave him); his flywheel (manual trans); the heater got stuck on hot; and a door lock mechanism regulator or something. Still though, horses for courses, I'm sure there's an Elgrand owner out there who bought their bus on 97K and unfortunately had a few £grand issues to fork out for pretty soon after. That of course goes for zillions of used car purchases.

IMG_4655.jpeg
Nice looking thing, sits nice, Bentley wheels suit, all round nice van, but 12years old and 150,000 miles for £27,000 I don’t get it at all.

I know full well it will sell, but I don’t get it.😵‍💫

Last edited:
View attachment 100016
Nice looking thing, sits nice, Bentley wheels suit, all round nice van, but 22years old and 150,000 miles for £27,000 I don’t get it at all.

I don't either, but it's a Transporter, trendy, a camper, and a decent looking one

But then I don't get this either, and this is an Elgrand:
3 years older than that Transporter, albeit with 78.5K miles
But still, £28K!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorh...=Nissan&model=Elgrand&postcode=bs11ad&fromsra

(sorry, can't work out links on this site. Sometimes they're fine pasted, other not?)

I'd be surprised if that sold faster than that Transporter if both were on the same forecourt

Last edited:
I don't either, but it's a Transporter, trendy, a camper, and a decent looking one

But then I don't get this either, and this is an Elgrand:
5 years older than that Transporter, albeit with 78.5K miles
But still, £28K!

(sorry, can't work out links on this site. Sometimes they're fine pasted, other not?)

I'd be surprised if that sold faster than that Transporter if both were on the same forecourt

View attachment 100016
Nice looking thing, sits nice, Bentley wheels suit, all round nice van, but 22years old and 150,000 miles for £27,000 I don’t get it at all.

I know nothing about the Volkswagen, but I saw the advert says 12 years old, and you say 22 years old, so I just Googled the T5 & T6 to see which was which and this certainly has a T6 front end on it. I read that the T6 was first made in 2015 which would make it only 9 years old, maybe it's a T5 with a T6 front who knows how old it is. Still way too expensive and it's got 100bhp less than my Rider. :)

I know nothing about the Volkswagen, but I saw the advert says 12 years old, and you say 22 years old, so I just Googled the T5 & T6 to see which was which and this certainly has a T6 front end on it. I read that the T6 was first made in 2015 which would make it only 9 years old, maybe it's a T5 with a T6 front who knows how old it is. Still way too expensive and it's got 100bhp less than my Rider. :)
It's 12 years old. He probably just did a typo

Mind you, if this link works:
That £27K Transporter now looks a bargain

But then this for the same price...with 3K miles!!
:eek:

Last edited:
Fat fingers typed 22 instead of 12..... in his advert he says he has added a T6 front end.

I can't see why someone would spend 25k plus on an e51 camper.
I'd much prefer the transporter

Back