• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Let's go there. A balanced discussion: The Elgrand v the T5/6 Transporter?

Caravelle seats don't become a bed or swivel

Reactions: Bal
Tbh I've found parts a lot easier to find than on my old 8th generation Honda Accord. Just text Brian and parts have come perfect every time, I know there are others on Facebook. Like my mechanic said when I took it in 1st time most things are the same on every car. Big jobs like engine rebuilds etc most mechanics aren't interested doesn't matter what car.
back in the day as a car/bike mechanic i loved doing engine rebuilds, best part on the job imo. i did a full rebuild on a Toyota corolla 1200 in my second year of my apprenticeship all on my own, i was buzzing. had to tell everyone :rolleyes:

back in the day as a car/bike mechanic i loved doing engine rebuilds, best part on the job imo. i did a full rebuild on a Toyota corolla 1200 in my second year of my apprenticeship all on my own, i was buzzing. had to tell everyone :rolleyes:
I've always wanted to rebuild an engine. I've just never had the facilities. I'd love to rebuild my bus engine one day

Forgot to mention shitty DSG autobox if you were to opt for automatic version

I've always wanted to rebuild an engine. I've just never had the facilities. I'd love to rebuild my bus engine one day
its defo the best part of being a mechanic for me, but its been a very long time since ive done a car engine, the last time i did a bike engine must be 10 years !!!!!

its defo the best part of being a mechanic for me, but its been a very long time since ive done a car engine, the last time i did a bike engine must be 10 years !!!!!
Bike engines are relatively straight forward. And, can be done indoors with an approving spouse(or just do it anyway).

I've rebuilt and tuned loads of engines over the years, have enjoyed doing some of them but I don't enjoy rebuilding the modern stuff with VVT, cam chains / guides, etc. Still on with the boat engine but it's coming together now.. https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/boat-pics.37711/

Great write up.
However, regarding the last remark, I think one would have more 'fun' compared to an Elgrand owner if each of their vans started getting issues, each of the owners were not mechanically minded, but the Transporter owner having 11,628 garages to look at it, and parts coming out of their ears, compared to the Elgrand owner hunting high and low for someone to even work on it with some skill, and get parts for it. Again, though, that's goes for any import.
Good point but for me a major part of the fun has been in doing as much of the work myself as far as possible and even for jobs that I did either not want to do myself or that I thought were beyond my skills I have had no problems getting work done and parts either through this forum or through mates even down to when I first imported my Elgrand when I had it delivered straight from the port to my local garage who fitted fog lights, changed the plugs, filters. oil change. service. double din plus other bits and pieces etc and got it through its 1st mot (only needed CV boots) when I provided the parts and they fitted them at a hourly rate.
Part of the advantage of this is that you then get the chance to upgrade rather than just replace like for like and is something that I do with all my cars.
Whilst I can accept that this might not be a way that would work for everyone as some would just want to take into a garage and have the work done and in that case maybe a transporter would be a better option. :)

I've rebuilt and tuned loads of engines over the years, have enjoyed doing some of them but I don't enjoy rebuilding the modern stuff with VVT, cam chains / guides, etc. Still on with the boat engine but it's coming together now.. https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/boat-pics.37711/
yeah they are getting way to complicated now !!!! at least bikes are much easier. going back to my early days at the Datsun dealer them engines where painfully easy and basic.

Forgot to mention shitty DSG autobox if you were to opt for automatic version
I am very anti VAG, but I must admit my Leon DSG (dry clutch) is a fantastic gearbox, even after I had to repair if from a common fault (lifetime guarantee now though). It's so much better than traditional autos with a torque converter, instant gear changes and better economy.

I am very anti VAG, but I must admit my Leon DSG (dry clutch) is a fantastic gearbox, even after I had to repair if from a common fault (lifetime guarantee now though). It's so much better than traditional autos with a torque converter, instant gear changes and better economy.
It might be, depends how old it is and how many miles it has been through.
T5's are usually higher mileage

Did you have to pay for the repair? Was it costly if I may ask out of curiosity?

It might be, depends how old it is and how many miles it has been through.
T5's are usually higher mileage

Did you have to pay for the repair? Was it costly if I may ask out of curiosity?
£550 for the Mechatronics unit to be overhauled, some oil & I did the removal/refit work myself.
1.6 TDI, 65k miles, 14 plate.

£550 for the Mechatronics unit to be overhauled, some oil & I did the removal/refit work myself.
1.6 TDI, 65k miles, 14 plate.
You're lucky to do labour yourself, it would be rather costly otherwise.
I've had in mind older transporters with more powerful motor and definitely higher mileage but maybe just spreading rumours.
Happy motoring

Back