• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Leaking

Quick update, cleaning the drain channel hasn't solved the problem.
Tomorrow I'm going to take the trim off and the head lining down and open the can of worms, I'll post some pics as I go along.
 
Well I'm getting there, took the headlining down today and found two rear drain tubes attached to little trays at the end of the sunroof rails. They run along the headlining and down the back pillars to exit under the rear bumper. There's a joint in the tube at the top of the pillars which I split, allowing me to clean both sections, the downpipe was clear but the horizontal section in the roof was pretty clogged. Got some pictures but I can't figure out how to post them at the moment. 🙄
 
Thank your uploading the pictures for all, I checked them out and by the looks of things yours was leaking quite bad.
Ive also done the same cleaned out the pipes etc but mine is leaking still leaking through the sponge surrounds.
Im wondering whether yours is going to do the sam, as in the pictures they looked pretty wet from what I could see. I have made some new sponge surrounds which I thought would solve the issue but I am still have a few teething problems which I am still trying to solve.
Good luck I hope you've solved yours. 🤞
 
Well I'm getting there, took the headlining down today and found two rear drain tubes attached to little trays at the end of the sunroof rails. They run along the headlining and down the back pillars to exit under the rear bumper. There's a joint in the tube at the top of the pillars which I split, allowing me to clean both sections, the downpipe was clear but the horizontal section in the roof was pretty clogged. Got some pictures but I can't figure out how to post them at the moment. 🙄
Congratulations on your progress. Looks like you were getting more water in than me.
 
I cannot seem to find the drain holes in the sunroof on my 2011 e52 Elgrand and help would be welcome
There are four, two each front and rear. The front two are little holes at the end of the track, I used a pipe cleaner to clean them. I accessed the rear ones by taking the headlining down by the boot lid there is a joint as the tube goes down the back pillars I split the tube and cleaned each piece.
There are several pics and a couple of threads from other members if you look back through this thread.
Hope this helps.
 
There is no sunroof on my Elgrand, when i opened the compartment where the jack is kept i noticed that the step well was full of water, anybody had any similar problem?
 
Yes and @mr james solved it for me.

Pulled inner door seal off frame and bedded it back on with black gutter sealant. Just gun it into the seal groove, put back on with heel of hand and wipe off excess with white spirit. Dry as a bone now.
 
Last edited:
I get a bit of water in the jack compartment too, I'll get some gutter sealant, thanks for that, but I can't see how it gets in there, there is no sign of any water down the inside of the door so it doesn't drip into it, I assume it runs down and around the inner door seal and comes out at the bottom and finds its way into the compartment somehow.
 
Well I have taken the step cover off and dried the well and the wiring, I,m leaving it off to try and find how the water is getting in.
 
If you find out let me know, the problem is you can't see into the compartment with the door shut if you sit inside and let someone hose the car down, mine is only damp but had a bit more in the first time I found water in it.
 
Ok no problem.
 
Ok no problem.
did you find where the water was coming in from we got the same problem water in passenger side where jack is kept we have no sunroofs
 
did you find where the water was coming in from we got the same problem water in passenger side where jack is kept we have no sunroofs
I had that issue there is a rubber stopper in the floor closed to the edge which I removed so that it acts as a drain, but I did not find out where the water was coming from maybe the windscreen area by wipes as that water needs to go somewhere
 
I had water in the driver's side box. Thanks to another member which may be Mr James but I can't remember, I fixed it. It was the door seal fixed to the frame.
Took it off, nipped it up a bit and gunned black gutter sealant into it where it pushes intyo frame. Cleaned off excess with white spirit. Solved.
 
Hello arthurian, the water leak was coming from the inner door seal joint at the bottom under the stepwell, i took the seal off checked it for splits or cracks cleaned the frame and inside of the seal with hot soapy water let it dry put the seal back on with a rubber mallet and seems to have worked i keep checking it (especially when it,s been raining) i have left the step clips off so it,s easier access, i have also put a dry folded up towel underneath next to the door seal joint to stop any water getting into the step well, this is where the water was seeping in so far so good it,s just a pain having to keep checking it.
 
forgot to tell you i put some silicone sealant in the seal channel from the end of the dash to just before the seal joint.
 
Back
Top