• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Leaking

yep me too, never liked sunroofs

The moon roof is great when its not leaking especially with a rear camper conversion looking at the stars whilst lying in bed! lol
Mine has not leaked since I bought mine in 2016 so it has done pretty well without any regular maintenance, just bl**dy annoying to fix! lol

Bit sad to discover that my new (to me) e51 leaks πŸ˜’
Now taking bets on whether it's the sunroof or the window seal πŸ˜‚
if you'll excuse me I'm off to sulk πŸ™„
Where is it leaking?

Where did you get it from, as if it's new-to-you, might have been given a warranty?

Where is it leaking?

Where did you get it from, as if it's new-to-you, might have been given a warranty?
Private sale sadly. It's leaking down the side into the little compartment in the o/s floor of the boot. The headlining is damp too so I'm pretty confident that it's the sunroof

Private sale sadly. It's leaking down the side into the little compartment in the o/s floor of the boot. The headlining is damp too so I'm pretty confident that it's the sunroof
Sorry to hear that. Makes you wonder if the seller knew this exactly and palmed it off to get rid.

How did you suss out it was leaking into the little compartment? Did you see a water trail on plastic or something, as it's maybe not something you'd open 'just like that'? Maybe you saw the damp headliner first, so then had a fish about?

Sorry to hear that. Makes you wonder if the seller knew this exactly and palmed it off to get rid.

How did you suss out it was leaking into the little compartment? Did you see a water trail on plastic or something, as it's maybe not something you'd open 'just like that'? Maybe you saw the damp headliner first, so then had a fish about?
It's crossed my mind that he knew but I guess it doesn't matter now πŸ™„
In answer to your question, the carpet on the lid of the compartment was wet when I went to put something in the boot earlier

It's crossed my mind that he knew but I guess it doesn't matter now πŸ™„
In answer to your question, the carpet on the lid of the compartment was wet when I went to put something in the boot earlier
Whilst the weather is sh17e - just gaffer tape the sun roof/s from the outside and take the connectors out of the switch/s.
Tape comes in many colours so wont look too shabby on the roof.

Better still clear tape.
IMG_2012.jpeg

Then when the weather bucks up fix it properly.

Last edited:
I have gone down the duct tape route, after a couple of damp patches and some more liberal application of tape, it seems to be pretty dry! For the first time in 2 years I didn't need the bucket this week, so pretty happy!!

Whilst the weather is sh17e - just gaffer tape the sun roof/s from the outside and take the connectors out of the switch/s.

Total nightmare though when he only bought it on Monday.

Thing is, and not meaning to sound negative, if it isn't a 'simple' thing like a quick air line blast or other method which clears the drains and sorts it, by many accounts on this forum, it's then a total rabbit hole to trace, with varying amounts of success or otherwise.

Thing is, and not meaning to sound negative, if it isn't a 'simple' thing like a quick air line blast or other method which clears the drains and sorts it, by many accounts on this forum, it's then a total rabbit hole to trace, with varying amounts of success or otherwise.
My way is a definite fix.

Currently got the same problem buddy. Heres my thread if it helps, just taken some new pictures to help me and others on the forum:

https://elgrandoc.uk/forum/threads/jez-silver-and-may-white-2003-2002-e51-rider-autech.6642/page-23

Better still clear tape.
View attachment 99279

Good tip thanks 😊

πŸ™„
Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks for pinpointing the location and symptoms.
I'd never checked there myself and with a pounding heart (seriously!) I just went out and checked in there, and the vertical side compartment right by it, and thankfully mine were bone dry. Still, I'd never have thought of checking there if it wasn't for your info. Cheers and best wishes.

Back