• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Here we go again πŸ˜‚ e51 on the way....

We were hoping to pickup over Xmas but it is what it is 😁
The one's I was talking about above, those which has just arrived as I was picking up mine (3rd Oct), are starting to peel off the site, meaning they are probably now registered and are getting collected as the new owners find time to pick them up. So that's about 7 weeks for them. Mine, like I said was 4 weeks. Gives you some kind of estimate.

Well knock me over with a feather, log book back in just over 2 weeks😱

Ready to collect after next week.

Still think we are flying down to Bristol but probably just bite the bullet and get a taxi/Uber estimate is between 80 to 120, will be screwed if we don't like it πŸ˜‚

If we hire a car which is cheaper it's a drive back to airport or pay more and drop it of at Cardiff either way not much in it πŸ€”

I'm based in Bristol! How long will you be around?

I'm based in Bristol! How long will you be around?
As short as possible πŸ˜‚ still trying to work out best way, because it's Xmas the hotels have gone up so trying to avoid a stop over.

Plan at mo is train from up here at 6am on Fri, we have to swap at Bristol parkway 10.30 ish then either carry on into Cardiff and another train or jump ship at parkway and taxi from there.

Last edited:
Thought I had better start the dreaded insurance dance.

Reasonably pleased 380 fully comp.

Reactions: guf
Hastings direct won't give me a quote 😭

Go compare have come back with 290 😱

Well knock me over with a feather, log book back in just over 2 weeks😱

Ready to collect after next week.

Still think we are flying down to Bristol but probably just bite the bullet and get a taxi/Uber estimate is between 80 to 120, will be screwed if we don't like it πŸ˜‚

If we hire a car which is cheaper it's a drive back to airport or pay more and drop it of at Cardiff either way not much in it πŸ€”
Awesome news. He's probably doing the prep now, over the next week, as I doubt even he would have though the log book would be that quick.
The weather has been minging, and I could have gone and had a butchers for you after hours, on a Sunday say. But newly arrived Elgrands typically are inside the garage when getting prepared, or sometimes down behind a gate thing at the back of the lot and it's shut on Sundays.

As short as possible πŸ˜‚ still trying to work out best way, because it's Xmas the hotels have gone up so trying to avoid a stop over.

Plan at mo is train from up here at 6am on Fri, we have to swap at Bristol parkway 10.30 ish then either carry on into Cardiff and another train or jump ship at parkway and taxi from there.
In Cardiff, you can get a train to HENGOED (costs Β£5 one way). Platform 6 in Cardiff (usually). Takes about 30 mins Cardiff -> Hengoed. There's about 3 an hour. Colin would pick you up from there. It's only 5 mins away max.

If you were still considering flying: Could you get a National Express from Bristol airport to Cardiff (Sophia Gardens). There are always shed loads of taxis then at Sophia Gardens, the National Express stop off in Cardiff to get you to Cardiff train station. It's only 10 mins in a taxi away. You can walk from Sophia gardens to Cardiff Central in 15 or so mins, asking a few people directions, or using a 'sat nav' on your phone.

If you were doing a stop over, your best bet would probably be the Premier Inn, Corbett lane, Caerphilly. About Β£51 next Thursday, standard booking. The Friday night is Β£10 cheaper. Colin's open Sat mornings too. I'd guess the Caerphilly hotel (link below) would be far cheaper than a Cardiff city centre hotel. Plus if you do the stop over in Caerphilly, it'll only be 10 mins away from Colin's place the next day.
https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/ho...&ADULT1=1&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&BRAND=PI You'd have to get a taxi from Caerphilly train station to get there though (what you'd do, is when you've got to Cardiff train station from Bristol, you'd get that same platform 6 train as I mentioned above, but you'd get off at Caerphilly, not Hengoed. Caerphilly is about 3-4 stops before Hengoed. And get a taxi from Caerphilly station to the Premier Inn). A taxi from Caerphilly Station to the Premier wouldn't cost 'much'. It's about 2 miles away.
I'm sure Colin would pick you up from the Premier Inn, too, the next morning, it's only about 4 miles on a straight open road to there from his yard. Takes 10 mins max.

Last edited:
Which company is it with? 290 is fantastic
Churchill

Thanks for all the info.

Train is booked, we leave at 6am ish, going to be a long long day, we've had to go on a train with another change as on one of the original ones we were not seated together πŸ€” πŸ˜‚, I'm ok with that I actually like the wife 😁

Colin said he's never known a logbook come back so quick, they doing the work this week, I've added the language and radio expander, I could have done it cheaper but on the scale of the costs so far it's an irrelevance, I think.

Any one need a disco 2, rotten chassis low mileage πŸ˜‚, must get that sorted.

Last edited:
Churchill

Thanks for all the info.

Train is booked, we leave at 6am ish, going to be a long long day, we've had to go on a train with another change as on one of the original ones we were not seated together πŸ€” πŸ˜‚, I'm ok with that I actually like the wife 😁

Colin said he's never known a logbook come back so quick, they doing the work this week, I've added the language and radio expander, I could have done it cheaper but on the scale of the costs so far it's an irrelevance, I think.

Any one need a disco 2, rotten chassis low mileage πŸ˜‚, must get that sorted.
It is a long day. You'll probably get there about 2ish? Whatever time your train arrives in Cardiff (if that's where your initial destination is), you won't have too long to wait for the train which takes you to Hengoed. The train itself will have either Rhymney or Bargoed on its front (and the tannoy will say that too). Hengoed will be a stop off, about 1/2 hour into that journey.

The 'hand over' paying for the Elgrand didn't take long. 1/2 hour or so and I'm a chatter.

It is a long day. You'll probably get there about 2ish? Whatever time your train arrives in Cardiff (if that's where your initial destination is), you won't have too long to wait for the train which takes you to Hengoed. The train itself will have either Rhymney or Bargoed on its front (and the tannoy will say that too). Hengoed will be a stop off, about 1/2 hour into that journey.

The 'hand over' paying for the Elgrand didn't take long. 1/2 hour or so and I'm a chatter.
Colin gave me the name of 2 stations he can pick me up from either, will save it on Google and maps will tell me where to get off, hopefully πŸ˜‚

Yes Cardiff is our destination on the trains, we looked at first class, it was over Β£800 quid, I would sooner sit on the roof than pay that.

Back