• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Heaters

Caz n Ste

North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
Anyone fitted a gas or diesel heater in their campervan, which one is best for a warm van in winter ? any reviews are welcome

Some have for sure, a forum search will reveal a few examples.

Some of those that use gas run from the 93L tank that I fit on Elgrands as part of LPG conversion, this tank holds almost as much gas as the biggest red portable gas bottles that you see alongside e.g. static caravans and catering trailers except the gas costs much less than gas in bottles.

As always, make sure there's adequate venting or that combustion takes place external of the vehicle if using any type of gas or fossil fuelled heater. I have turned down work (of installing gas take-offs for cookers / heaters / etc) and therefore also lost work of converting vehicles to LPG because owners said they intended on running internal cookers or heaters that were not emissions externally vented to keep warm all night.

I'm interested in this too ... have just joined - how do you do a forum search please?

Sorry - just noticed the search button up on top right hand side!!! :)

I have been to see my van today..in the flesh for the first time and I'm really pleased with it ! in very good condition inside and out.
Discussed fit out, chose the furniture and heating..going for Eberspacher diesel blown air , after seeing one working in another Elgrand and they were more than pleased with it. A combi Mwo and a 2 ring ceramic hob and no sink, for the kitchen, probably get a portable 2Kw generator for when we are off grid, a 100w semi flexi solar panel to keep the leisure battery topped up. Can't wait to take delivery, hopefully December if this Covid lock down does'nt go on for longer !
Has anyone else had these units in their vans, recommend or not ? what have you found that works well and what does'nt ?

Have you got a diesel E50 or will you be fitting a separate tank?
Interested to know size and location if the latter and I guess you could then use red diesel?

No it's petrol E51 3.5 V6, yes a seperate 5Ltr tank will be fitted in the rear cupboard where the gas bottle would have been, and the heater goes under the bed ? and yes red diesel, will probably run on central heating oil also ?

Diesel and heating oil are pretty similar but you'd have to check the heater instructions to be sure. I wouldn't think they'd be much price difference as pump heating oil is expensive in small quantities.

My Propex HS2000 is 2Kw - to save space in the bed locker I instlled it behind the driver's seat - this didn't turn out the best idea as the warm air outlet is on the noisey side due to the proximity of the heater's fan to the living space. If the heater unit were in the bed locker then this wouldn't be such an issue.

I will when the mood takes me, relocate it to the back of the bed locker and feed the warm air forward through acouticly damped ducting (sold by Propex here). The Propex models do include one with a built in electric heater - my budget didn't stretch to one of those but on reflection I think it would have been a worthwhile expense. @Lize has this option I think?

So do bear in mind the heater's noise which ever type/model is used. Whether 2kw is enough to keep you warm by depends on many things of course, so not easy to give an answer on that one.

I have been to see my van today..in the flesh for the first time and I'm really pleased with it ! in very good condition inside and out.
Discussed fit out, chose the furniture and heating..going for Eberspacher diesel blown air , after seeing one working in another Elgrand and they were more than pleased with it. A combi Mwo and a 2 ring ceramic hob and no sink, for the kitchen, probably get a portable 2Kw generator for when we are off grid, a 100w semi flexi solar panel to keep the leisure battery topped up. Can't wait to take delivery, hopefully December if this Covid lock down does'nt go on for longer !
Has anyone else had these units in their vans, recommend or not ? what have you found that works well and what does'nt ?
Hi Caz, I like the idea of no sink.
And the rest of the stuff is baggage you will eventually find anyway.
Only my opinion.

Yes, I've got the gas/230V electric Propex HS2000E. When on EHU I always use on electric but if you aren't going to visit campsites often then it wouldn't be so useful.

I find it plenty warm enough on a cold day but if very cold and at night I put my bed boards in the pop top to give lower volume to heat and avoid it disappearing out of the canvas.

If I were to be planning another camper conversion then I would look at other brands like Truma which combine air and water heating.

Welcome Caz and hope it all goes well

My Propex HS2000 is 2Kw - to save space in the bed locker I instlled it behind the driver's seat - this didn't turn out the best idea as the warm air outlet is on the noisey side due to the proximity of the heater's fan to the living space. If the heater unit were in the bed locker then this wouldn't be such an issue.

I will when the mood takes me, relocate it to the back of the bed locker and feed the warm air forward through acouticly damped ducting (sold by Propex here). The Propex models do include one with a built in electric heater - my budget didn't stretch to one of those but on reflection I think it would have been a worthwhile expense. @Lize has this option I think?

So do bear in mind the heater's noise which ever type/model is used. Whether 2kw is enough to keep you warm by depends on many things of course, so not easy to give an answer on that one.
Hi Alan, just saw this thread. Quick question: is the heater connected to a campinggaz propane/ butane bottle? If so, how often have you needed to refill the bottle in winter? I am trying to decide whether to have the LPG heater connected to my LPG tank (it's LPG converted) or to a separate gas bottle..

I think you get about 20 odd hours out of a CampingGaz 907 .. not really that much, and that doesn't include cooking use!. I am hoping to get the HS200 installed in my upcoming conversion, and am getting LPG done (hopefully) with a vapour take off to run the heater ... the 75Ltr LPG should be able to run the heater without worry, as its always going to be topped up. And, of course, its much cheaper than re-fillable bottles ... this is the plan anyway, but not all LPG installs allow for the take-off (or so im told) so might be worth checking yours.

Hi Alan, just saw this thread. Quick question: is the heater connected to a campinggaz propane/ butane bottle? If so, how often have you needed to refill the bottle in winter? I am trying to decide whether to have the LPG heater connected to my LPG tank (it's LPG converted) or to a separate gas bottle..
@Lpgc , you'll have views on the viability of a vapour take off being fitted after the conversion has already been done..?

Anyone fitted a gas or diesel heater in their campervan, which one is best for a warm van in winter ? any reviews are welcome
We are looking at the same thing :)!

We are looking at the same thing :)

@Lpgc , you'll have views on the viability of a vapour take off being fitted after the conversion has already been done..?

I'm the only LPG installer to offer a vapour take-off to allow appliances to run from the same LPG tank as the engine,

Normally LPG tanks have either a liquid take-off to fuel an engine or a vapour take-off to connect a regulator to to run appliances from, you can't have both on the same tank. When I do them I modify the tank to have an extra fitting on it's top which is the vapour take-off, this includes literally drilling a small 2.5mm hole in the top of the tank and welding a fitting to the tank. This connects to an external manual shut-off tap then on to an inline regulator, all of which I supply and fit.

Best done on a new install. When I fit them I have the vapour take off tank prepared ready before the vehicle arrives for LPG conversion. To retro-fit would involve first removing the tank, then removing the tank valve, then thoroughly flushing the tank to remove all gas, then the work of fitting the vapour take-off could be started (square one if this were a new install), then refit the tank. In contrast on a new install with a new unused tank none of the tank removal, valve removal or flushing work has to be done.

I normally charge £250 to fit a vapour take-off at time of fitting a new LPG conversion, it will be a lot more to fit to an existing install due to the additional work and more still to fit to an existing install on a camper converted Elgrand (more work again). I won't fit the vapour take-off to an install (or at least to a tank) I didn't originally fit, not a case of not wanting to help people with conversions fitted elsewhere but for technical reasons... I don't know how the other installer fitted the tank, what tank it will be, etc, all of which could interfere with fitting a vapour take-off. Mind you if anyone has an install fitted elsewhere and want a vapour take-off fitting they'll probably want me to fit the bigger tank at same time as fitting a vapour take-off... But then it's going to be more expensive still because I still have to remove the old tank and then supply a new tank.

Last edited:
Back