• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Ensuring the Future of EOC - 10 Post Rule

I thought the forum was long since dead, now I know it's here I'll regularly check in. What's everyone using to upload pics? Used to use photobucket years ago until they sacked free hosting off.

Karl / other full members
As one of those new 'members' ( registered earlier this month ) and now in receipt of a Restricted Access e-mail (until I place 10 posts in the Social area or pay an annual fee) . Ransomware was my first thought...then I read it properly!

Now - It just feels like I am just the kind of member you do not want!

I do not eat, sleep or dream about my old 1996 E50 ( owned her for the past 12 years) - I just try to keep her running reliably and doing what she does best - transporting the family everywhere for everything. It is true to say that we would be completely sunk without her..
From this you can conclude that I am NOT an Elgrand 'Top-Table Socialite'- there will be no Elgrand Club Rallies, Elgrand pictures, Elgrand picnics, Elgrand parades or car shows for my old girl. She is a 22 year old work-horse...is that so bad?

As an Engineer I do not even consider using garages when I am perfectly capable of investigating and doing the work. As there are no workshop manuals / wiring diagrams readily available, I do have to use the internet when I have a problem that I can not solve readily myself ( usually with my MK1 eyeballs and experience). True, I have used other older Elgrand Technical forums in the historical past but have also contributed to their knowledge-base with my own experiences and researched technical findings when I have something really useful to pass on.

Fee for full membership ( = access to Technical) - It is highly unlikely that I will ever naturally make 10 Social posts - let alone 10 every year - what a complete waste of time and energy - that is just not what I do with my time. So its the paid membership option then...but then why pay AND contribute information due to my lack of a social life / event calendar to boast about?

That I should even contemplate writing ten meaningless "hurrah Henry", "Pat on the back", "What a lovely drive...", "nice pub/resaurant...," "great garage service..." , "well done you.." typical posts with more Elgrand related images just in order to freely use (and contribute) to the Club Technical information 'treasure chest' is absurd. I thought you were concerned about excess traffic and lack of bandwidth!

If its the Technical Information that you feel is being "used and abused" why encourage Social posting as a qualification? Why not make the qualification 10 Technical posts and let the Social 'posters' + Technical info 'dippers' pay?

Better still have no 'Top-Table' 'Socialite' get outs - no exceptions - just ask everyone to pay a £1 across the board.
ahh you will be like one of those engineers like whot i am short hands and very deep pockets and im tight northener as well so im doubley dammed but i do agree with a lot of what you say and i like you am willing to share technical info with other owners as and where i can especially if it hits the stealers pockets

I thought the forum was long since dead, now I know it's here I'll regularly check in. What's everyone using to upload pics? Used to use photobucket years ago until they sacked free hosting off.
Try www.tinypic.com. Works well.

Don't see the point in it myself, but hey ho, my opinion wont count anyway. yet again another reason why ive come off a lot of forums... its a shame as itll put off a lot of new members. Looks like ill remain locked out once the restrictions are in place. Thanks

I just need to highlight that for me this isn’t about the fee, more the process of access and the effects that has on possible new members.

Don't see the point in it myself, but hey ho, my opinion wont count anyway. yet again another reason why ive come off a lot of forums... its a shame as itll put off a lot of new members. Looks like ill remain locked out once the restrictions are in place. Thanks
That's one of your ten posts! Only another nine to go!

The problem being is, from the point of view of the people who pay to run the site, is "putting off" members who don't really post anything a bad thing? Forums are communities, if everyone is taking and no one giving it dies.

That's all this is going to do is restrict those who have fewer than 10 posts, nothing else. No one is being forced in to paying for anything, they're just being asked to take part in the forum.

Jeez. Is this so hard? 6 more posts and you'll be able to carry on as normal.

I just need to highlight that for me this isn’t about the fee, more the process of access and the effects that has on possible new members.
It took me only a few hours to get ten posts in when I first joined, maybe less! All the admin are asking is that people participate as that is fundamentally what any forum is for. People from different backgrounds but with a shared interest talking to each other and solving queries if they have the know how or just having a chat cos they feel like it!

the problem is, I, along with many others, do not live online, my life is not online, I have a very busy lifestyle with work, after hours work, and a family to support, I drop on the forums maybe once or twice a month to see whats what, when I have the time to get on my laptop, I'm only on now because I got the email and couldn't open it on my phone, thatll be me now till next month as I'm off to build cool shit in my shed. laters

the problem is, I, along with many others, do not live online, my life is not online, I have a very busy lifestyle with work, after hours work, and a family to support, I drop on the forums maybe once or twice a month to see whats what, when I have the time to get on my laptop, I'm only on now because I got the email and couldn't open it on my phone, thatll be me now till next month as I'm off to build cool shit in my shed. laters

Then I don't see how it has any effect on how you use the forum, the once or twice you pop in you may make a post or reply to something and eventually you will make 10 posts, I'm not sure I can see the complaint to be honest dude.

Its just a stupid fuckin rule, it pisses me off, so many forums started doing it which led to a decline in new members joining up. That's why I'm no longer admin on any forums or use any forums beside this one..... anyways, like I said, my opinion don't count anyway. Carry on as U were

I unlike a lot of you normal people on here found and joined this club AFTER I had bought my Elgrand. I have rebuilt a few engines and gearboxes during my rallying years and I would like to say I know when an engine sounds right and feels right when putting it through it's paces albeit this isn't a rally car ;)
Electrics!... Nothing to say except I'm absolutely pants at it :expressionless:
I bought my motor and came across this site while I was waiting for the registration docs to come through and one of the first posts I read was about the Quad cats.
That alone made me want to join and become a premium member, the social side of it also appeals to me although I have not met any of you yet but the chat on here is very good so meeting up ever now and then can't do any harm.

After all that dribble what I'm trying to say is that I agree with Karl that everyone needs to register and make the posts. It's still free for you guys who don't want to pay :) you like I have just done could post a load of dribble and the 10 post will be up in no time :rolleyes:

Its just a stupid fuckin rule, it pisses me off, so many forums started doing it which led to a decline in new members joining up. That's why I'm no longer admin on any forums or use any forums beside this one..... anyways, like I said, my opinion don't count anyway. Carry on as U were

But do you understand why forums have to do it? Bandwidth isn't free, nor is it infinite, a user using a forum to take the information they require doesn't add anything, they don't add to the forum/community. I see these new rules as trying to encourage people to be active members, you see it as trying to lock people out.

But surely as a club you need to attract members, this will restrict that. People won’t know how knowledgable it is, they will just think it is another cliquey club.

But surely as a club you need to attract members, this will restrict that. People won’t know how knowledgable it is, they will just think it is another cliquey club.

I could understand this is if say to had to make 100 posts before posting anywhere outside of the newbie section, but reality is if you posted an introduce yourself thread you'd be past 10 posts within an hour or two, even quicker if your introduction included a question or 2 you had.

Back