• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 E51 Aircon Pipe Corrosion (Rear)

They are often an absolute pig to get off in one piece. So much so we often end up just cutting em off to retrieve the rear Air con/heater unit as it much less time consuming.

I think there's a thread somewhere where a member had repaired theirs. May have been @Mr G ?

To check your rear air con pipes there's a small flap just behind the rear wheel, passenger side.

Thanks guys as usual. Its flipping freezing out there at moment and not planning any long journeys till end of March so will revisit this problem
In a bit.😫😫😫😫😫

Don't be tempted to put any stop leaking of any kind because I think it ends up giving you more problems than it's worth in the long term

No flap on mine.
NE51 late 2007
So this maybe a factory mod.
Left open with a deflector plate.
My pipes look ok so I'd say this mod would be good to copy.

Attachments

• 20181113_150145.jpg
    20181113_150145.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 139
No flap on mine.
NE51 late 2007
So this maybe a factory mod.
Left open with a deflector plate.
My pipes look ok so I'd say this mod would be good to copy.

Mines a 2002 NE51 so they may have changed over time ? :)

I have a green liquid that seems to be coming from where the aircon pipe joins into the heat exchanger unit. How do I know if its coolant or refridgerant?

I know there are two O ring seals in there for the feed and return pipes of the refrigerant so might be worth having them replaced, it's just a bit of a fag having to have the system depressurised to do it. Especially if it doesn't fix the leak.

Exactly my problem @Stempy.
Your pics are of the heater hose, mine leaks from the refridgerant union under the flap. Trouble is both are green liquid so dont know if its refridgerant from the union joint or coolant escaping from the heater and dribbling through the refridgerant union area.

@kev mulqueen Mine is early 2003 S1. That was my original thought also. Then looking on forum thought it might be Aircon, now back to thinking its heating hose. Not going to have a chance to look at it till weekend.

I have a green liquid that seems to be coming from where the aircon pipe joins into the heat exchanger unit. How do I know if its coolant or refridgerant?
Taste test? Antifreeze in coolant used to taste sweet...

No idea if this still works though, you would think they would have done something to make it less palatable by now!

I take no responsibility if you try this and end up blind or dead :D

Your pics are of the heater hose, mine leaks from the refridgerant union under the flap. Trouble is both are green liquid so dont know if its refridgerant from the union joint or coolant escaping from the heater and dribbling through the refridgerant union area.
If yours is leaking from under the opening flap it will most probably be Aircon refrigerant it is bright green air conditioning would be getting less effective as fluid leaks out

@kev mulqueen Mine is early 2003 S1. That was my original thought also. Then looking on forum thought it might be Aircon, now back to thinking its heating hose. Not going to have a chance to look at it till weekend.
I actually repaired my leaking air con pipes couldn't afford £1000 did put a description on here somewhere .

Taste test? Antifreeze in coolant used to taste sweet...

No idea if this still works though, you would think they would have done something to make it less palatable by now!

I take no responsibility if you try this and end up blind or dead :D
Yes, they add bittering agents. I won't be tasting either coolant or refridgerant.

Hope it works ,I fixed my pipe regassed air con still working

I can confirm, my bodge didn't work, unsuprisingly.

Didn't realise it's such a big job getting the pipe out (dropping the subframe working on my drive sounds like a world of pain). My plan is to get the rear pipe blanked off. At least then I can get he heater matrix out and get that swapped over. That's joyful experience as well, need to take half the fekin interior out!!

I can confirm, my bodge didn't work, unsuprisingly.

Didn't realise it's such a big job getting the pipe out (dropping the subframe working on my drive sounds like a world of pain). My plan is to get the rear pipe blanked off. At least then I can get he heater matrix out and get that swapped over. That's joyful experience as well, need to take half the fekin interior out!!
I don't know if you've had a look here shows you how to do it https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/ac-not-working.7750/#post-73091 I was going to use something to try and fix it but I've just found out that WD weld can hold back 3000+ psi it might've done the job with a jubilee clip to reinforce it but I've cut my now so I can't do that mine is working perfectly on the front only

Back