• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Cruise control

V6Grandad

North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
When searching for an Elgrand I noticed that cruise control, which I wanted is not a popular option. The XL I finally bought has radar cruise which I believe is rare, it just seemed strange with Elgr@nds coming with,twin sunroof,twin power doors etc.

When searching for an Elgrand I noticed that cruise control, which I wanted is not a popular option. The XL I finally bought has radar cruise which I believe is rare, it just seemed strange with Elgr@nds coming with,twin sunroof,twin power doors etc.
I have an XL and it dosnt have cruise.

Not sure if i ve got one:( will check in the morning!!

It was never standard equipment, even on an XL. Only fitted as an option. It will only let you set it to a max of 110km/h because the speed limit is 100km/h in Japan, which means that due to mandated speedo error you get about 65mph max. I expect it is more likely to be on an XL, as they would perhaps be bought by someone who wants all the extras.

Several members (not me!) have successfully fisted after market cruise controls. I'm sure there'll be a project thread on here somewhere. Just put cruise control in the search or someone may be along soon to give more info.

Last edited:
I have fitted a cam8 cruise control. Works well. There are other makes available. Fairly simple to fit.

Thanks the replies, as regards the speed limiter, I didnt know about that so thanks for that one, I’ll try it above 110kmh and see what happens. Regards Alan

Bannings in Guildford fitted my cruise control a couple of years ago, it's a stalk type postioned left of the steering wheel, works fine and was'nt that expensive. I looked at getting the OEM version fitted into the steering wheel, only place I could find one was on Ebay from Australia and the price then was about A$600 not including postage!!! not for me.

Thanks the replies, as regards the speed limiter, I didnt know about that so thanks for that one, I’ll try it above 110kmh and see what happens. Regards Alan
As Ian and maybe others have said, the factory fitted cruise won't let you set a speed above around 110kph.

One of my Elgrands (I own 2) has the factory cruise. I need to look at it because it tends to work for a few minutes then beeps and shuts off with a Japanese warning message on screen, if memory serves the warning message points to something about the sun affecting the radar but it happens at any time (even when it's dull etc).

I've bought the canm8 one, but haven't had a chance to fit it yet.
Very helpful folk too.

Really really miss having it as I've had it on every car I've had for about the past 20 years and used it all the time.
Even more useful these days with all the smart M'ways & long stretches of average cam works etc.

Quite useful info for me here as i was looking to fit after market cruise control for quite some time but wern't sure. Thanks all

Does anyone know if the e50 had a cruise control option. Looking at buying one and never seem to see it listed

It was never standard equipment, even on an XL. Only fitted as an option. It will only let you set it to a max of 110km/h because the speed limit is 100km/h in Japan, which means that due to mandated speedo error you get about 65mph max. I expect it is more likely to be on an XL, as they would perhaps be bought by someone who wants all the extras.
Hi Ian,
Spent a bit of time trawling around, and you gave me the answer that the cruise control on my E52 is limited to 110kph. Can I ask, if you know whether that can be overridden somehow ?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Martin.

Hi Ian,
Spent a bit of time trawling around, and you gave me the answer that the cruise control on my E52 is limited to 110kph. Can I ask, if you know whether that can be overridden somehow ?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Martin.

Unfortunately I don't. I was wondering if using a chip to convert the speedo to mph would result mean that the cruise control would be limited to 110 mph, but I am not sure it uses the same feed.

Unfortunately I don't. I was wondering if using a chip to convert the speedo to mph would result mean that the cruise control would be limited to 110 mph, but I am not sure it uses the same feed.
oooo, I like your thought process there. haha Anyway, thanks very much. I'll keep digging, maybe my local Nissan garage would know. cheers

oooo, I like your thought process there. haha Anyway, thanks very much. I'll keep digging, maybe my local Nissan garage would know. cheers
I definitely would not fit a chip to it there was a guy on here had problems cost him a fortune and over a month to get it sorted found out that it was the speedo chip which was causing all the problems

I definitely would not fit a chip to it there was a guy on here had problems cost him a fortune and over a month to get it sorted found out that it was the speedo chip which was causing all the problems

Quite possible, there could be several things on the car that need to know the speed in kph - might through the gearbox out if it thinks the car is going more slowly than it is.

Back