• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Check your oil reminder

I can get 20litre for £38 on ebay which seems really cheap. Anyone used this?

20L Mannol ENERGY 5w30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil SL/CF ACEA A3/B4 WSS-M2C913-B​

I bought the 20L drum of 10w40, which as I mention above, I change at 5000km.

I was pleased that Carousel Car Parts accidentally sent 25l lol.

While the oil is cheap, it supercedes the oil that was recommended by Nissan in 1997, which was formulated for caterpillar machinery in 1955.

I personally would not use it I cannot find the full specification for the oil I think it will be too thin try and see if your engine rattles change it straight away.

I have always used Exol OPTIMA C2 C3 LSGM 5W-30 (M490) for the last 10 years the companies got bigger and bigger over that time you can buy it on eBay but you can directly go from this company and get a discount

https://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/prod...-fully-synthetic-low-saps-engine-oil-5-litre/

no it’s not the cheapest oil but it works perfectly for me.
Here's a question: Why would the 5w-30 fully synthetic oil, suggested by the person you quoted, possibly be too thin...whereas the one you use is also a 5w-30? Isn't all 5w-30 the same 'thinness'?

They're different. Also it gets thinner with use, some faster than others.
HOw could you tell picking up a bottle that one is thinner than the other?

I'm giving my own oil when it's serviced later in the summer. Would you do 5w-30 fully, or 5w-40?
I use 5W30 in mine. The people using 5W40 are doing so because of high oil consumption with 5W30.

The key to oil changes is to do it frequently and not overthink it - well worth getting the equipment to do your own changes.

There's a video on YouTube where Takumi Kurosawa, former head of Nissan GT-R engine production, stated to change the oil every 3000 miles if you're wanting to keep a car for 250,000+ miles (though he probably drives his cars harder than I do..)

While he recommended Castro oils, he stressed that changing more often was more important than using expensive/top quality oil.

Filter-wise, he was happy for people to use cheap filters and recommended a new filter every second oil change.

Regarding oil types, he recommended using a thinner winter (W) oil during colder months e.g. for the E51 that'd be 5W30 when it's warm, 0W30 in winter.

Hope that helps

Back