• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Check your oil reminder

I suppose I'm fortunate that my Ellie doesn't use a drop of oil.. checked it before my run up to Wales, the Scotland and back down South... 1300 miles clocked up in a week... not a drop used 😁 wish it was the same for the fuel 🫣🫣
I've had my 3.5 Rider S Autech about 6 weeks now and been dipping every week but nothings changed.

We've done nearly 3000 km in that time and it still looks golden, a little darker at the edges now.

I did a 1000 mile trip and it didn't use a drop, over a year I do notice a little and have had some smoking on startup if its been sitting so I expected more from that trip

As we said it’s a pure lottery, my van doesn’t smoke, leak or smell but it does use a bit .. just need to check regularly, no big deal … I’m old enough to remember when all cars did this, checking and topping up was a weekly job!! We’re just spoilt these days 😀

Do you check when the car is 'cold', as in after overnight standing? I find this is better with other cars as it's easy to see on the dipstick when not hot and smeared every where, and compare to previous- you're comparing it cold to how it was before, cold. Is this method okay on the E51?

Do you check when the car is 'cold', as in after overnight standing? I find this is better with other cars as it's easy to see on the dipstick when not hot and smeared every where, and compare to previous- you're comparing it cold to how it was before, cold. Is this method okay on the E51?

Cold for the oil dipstick but hot for the automatic transmission fluid dipstick 👍

It's fine checking cold - basically as long as the oil has drained down from the engine, you're fine. The manual states to leave it at least 10 minutes after switching off.

I find it easier checking from cold too.

There’s not much in it from hot to cold but ideally you should run the engine to get the oil to temp then let it drain for ten minutes and check the level
The reason for this is simply that oil expands with heat similar to automatic transmission fluid just not as much, if I check it hot I have the level at just under max, if I check it from dead cold I have the level between max and minimum
If it’s set to max when dead cold then it will go above max as it heats up

Hello everyone,
I’ve started driving my Elgrand daily instead of the odd drive on weekends & i’ve noticed its using alot of engine oil. Had a full service around 8 months ago (done around 5000 km since) and thought I’d just check oil level before a long journey. It wasn’t showing anything on dip stick. I topped up with one litre.
Checked again after around a couple of months (1500 km) and it wasn’t showing anything on dipstick. I topped up with around 3 litres and it was showing towards high level on stick. Checked after driving 600km and it’s showing towards low level on stick.
Everything runs fine and its not smoking or making noise. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Surely this isn’t normal!

Hello everyone,
I’ve started driving my Elgrand daily instead of the odd drive on weekends & i’ve noticed its using alot of engine oil. Had a full service around 8 months ago (done around 5000 km since) and thought I’d just check oil level before a long journey. It wasn’t showing anything on dip stick. I topped up with one litre.
Checked again after around a couple of months (1500 km) and it wasn’t showing anything on dipstick. I topped up with around 3 litres and it was showing towards high level on stick. Checked after driving 600km and it’s showing towards low level on stick.
Everything runs fine and its not smoking or making noise. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Surely this isn’t normal!
These are fussy, sometimes unique engines but as long as the cats aren't scouring the engine and the oil is changed regularly, they are very reliable. Mine will use about half a litre every 1000km used daily, more if driven hard, less if I'm gentle.
Another thing to consider is that the level is strange anyway. It can show from nothing to full in what seems less than a litre of oil.
Others will advise better than me though...
It's recommended to check more than every two months. Try every week instead.
Does yours smoke on start-up?

These are fussy, sometimes unique engines but as long as the cats aren't scouring the engine and the oil is changed regularly, they are very reliable. Mine will use about half a litre every 1000km used daily, more if driven hard, less if I'm gentle.
Another thing to consider is that the level is strange anyway. It can show from nothing to full in what seems less than a litre of oil.
Others will advise better than me though...
It's recommended to check more than every two months. Try every week instead.
Does yours smoke on start-up?
Its not smoking and everything seems to be running well. Your right about the level, i’ve just checked again after around 400km and it doesn’t seem to have moved from the last time I check when it was showing on low level.
I was thinking its used most of the 5litres of oil it holds as its on low now, but it must have used less than a litre over the 1000km. Hopefully all is fine. Will keep checking more often.
Thanks for your response 😊

Just an update on my Elgrand engine oil consumption.
Its using around 1 litre of oil every 1000km
Would be nice to know what others use?

Any oil someone could recommend please? Ive been using; Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL Engine Oil Fully Synthetic with Hyspec Standard, 4 Litre

Any oil someone could recommend please? Ive been using; Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL Engine Oil Fully Synthetic with Hyspec Standard, 4 Litre
And this oil is pretty expensive. But don’t want to damage engine with cheaper oil, that will be expensive to repair!!

when i worked for a Suzuki dealer (motorcycles) i had a few customers complain about some bikes using oil, I spoke to Suzuki technical UK and they said if it uses 1L or less in a 1000 miles then its acceptable and no warranty given !!!!! :confused:

I probably change my oil before it's burned any, ive bever had to top up in between changes every 5000km, (thanks for the tip @ELSib ) although it was 4000km last time ... which is around every 3 months.

QD32 devil's fuel for the win 🏆

What about other QD32 owners, what's your consumption?

I can get 20litre for £38 on ebay which seems really cheap. Anyone used this?

20L Mannol ENERGY 5w30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil SL/CF ACEA A3/B4 WSS-M2C913-B​

I can get 20litre for £38 on ebay which seems really cheap. Anyone used this?

20L Mannol ENERGY 5w30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil SL/CF ACEA A3/B4 WSS-M2C913-B​

I think @Londonglide did

I personally would not use it I cannot find the full specification for the oil I think it will be too thin try and see if your engine rattles change it straight away.

I have always used Exol OPTIMA C2 C3 LSGM 5W-30 (M490) for the last 10 years the companies got bigger and bigger over that time you can buy it on eBay but you can directly go from this company and get a discount

https://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/prod...-fully-synthetic-low-saps-engine-oil-5-litre/

no it’s not the cheapest oil but it works perfectly for me.

For every 5,000 km I add 100 grams.I use any 10w40 semi-synthetic oil. Previously, I used Nesti Oil for heavily loaded trucks and equipment, but due to sanctions - any 10w40. currently Rosneft.

Back