• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Check your oil reminder

MrChops

Premium Member
Midlands
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
James
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
I've not been on top of my winter maintenance game and hadn't checked my oil in a while so had a look last week, partly because PIT had been showing for a while and I'd kept meaning to get some oil and change it. There was about 2mm on the end of the dipstick. Quick off to the shed and I'd got about 1/2l left. Put it in and quickly ordered 5l thinking that should do until I change it.

A week and a couple hundred miles later today I got time to change the oil and dropped 3.5l out of it.

I know the cam covers are both weeping but I think it's burning a bit like they tend to do.

I know the cam covers are both weeping but I think it's burning a bit like they tend to do.
This is the first car I've had where I've had to regularly check the oil. I know the engine is designed to burn a little but I'm unsure what use is normal.

The feeling I get from mine is that fast driving gets through it much more quickly - I really should keep a log and find out.

Anyone already done this?

Only topped ours up two or three times in two years ,its does seem to drop suddenly though as in yours just a slight bit showing on the end of the dipstick , takes around 2 ltrs to get it back to where it should be .

I think its a bit of a lottery as to if yours burns oil or not, Ive had two now, first one I never even had to top it up once in 18 months (beside the 12month change obvs) but my current one I have to check as it does burn some. It doesn't leak or noticeably burn, runs sweet as and no noises or rattles, just uses a bit of oil. If I forget to check after several long trips the oil can drop!!

I took it back to the dealer to have it checked, PCV valve changes etc, and there are no issues at all ... he says that some Elgrands just use oil and that's to be accepted, but he also said they are stopping importing them now as he is having more and more warranty claims for failing engines and issues caused by oil losses. They are concentrating on Alphards as he's never had an issue with those engine.

A couple of 100mL of oil every few months Im not worried about, but it did make me think ..

Edit .. this came across as bit negative about the Elgrand, wasn't meant to be!!! I love mine and the engine is a peach, but as the OP says, regular oil checks are an important part of ownership .. still wouldn't swop for an Alphard, no way :)

Last edited:
I dont want to talk too soon, but Ive never had to top up the oil in my E51?

I guess if you do regular oil changes, instead of topping up, you can drain the old and add more/fresh. I think Id consider that if I had to regularly top up

I think its a bit of a lottery as to if yours burns oil or not, Ive had two now, first one I never even had to top it up once in 18 months (beside the 12month change obvs) but my current one I have to check as it does burn some. It doesn't leak or noticeably burn, runs sweet as and no noises or rattles, just uses a bit of oil. If I forget to check after several long trips the oil can drop!!

I took it back to the dealer to have it checked, PCV valve changes etc, and there are no issues at all ... he says that some Elgrands just use oil and that's to be accepted, but he also said they are stopping importing them now as he is having more and more warranty claims for failing engines and issues caused by oil losses. They are concentrating on Alphards as he's never had an issue with those engine.

A couple of 100mL of oil every few months Im not worried about, but it did make me think ..

Edit .. this came across as bit negative about the Elgrand, wasn't meant to be!!! I love mine and the engine is a peach, but as the OP says, regular oil checks are an important part of ownership .. still wouldn't swop for an Alphard, no way :)
I'd have an Alphard.

If it looked like an Elgrand and had a VQ35DE engine and the interior was swapped for an Elgrand interior
😁

Only topped ours up two or three times in two years ,its does seem to drop suddenly though as in yours just a slight bit showing on the end of the dipstick , takes around 2 ltrs to get it back to where it should be .
Likewise, sudden drop on dipstick to nothing, 2.5 litres brought it back in line. No sign of leaks and no blue smoke. Weekly checks are a must....

Looking for reassurance or stuff to check please…

Had the van a year, never used a drop of oil.

We’ve just come back from a road trip, likely did 800 to 1000 miles and I checked the oil on return and there was only a couple of millimetres on the dip stick. Checked before we started the trip and all was as it should be…

The van has burned probably 1/2 litre of oil.

I’ve topped it back up and there are no leaks, no funny smells and the van runs fine.

Is this ‘normal’ usage, the internet seems to say yes but I’ve never had a car that’s burned oil before!

In the USA Nissan 350z (basically same engine) many had replacement engines due to excessive oil consumption. Main dealership would top of the dipstick and record the mileage. Customer would return the car after a 1000 miles and if it consumes more than 1 litre with no oil leaks a replacement engine was fitted. Some owners had theses from new and had less than 30k miles and serviced regularly.
Having said that mine was burning around 1 litre every 500 miles, a sufficient amount to cause emissions issues. Obviously replaced PCV, made no difference. Replaced valve stem seals, oil consumption dropped considerably, still regulating but so far added around quarter litre in 750 miles and now passes emissions with secondary catalytic converters only.
So if you are consuming more than 1 litre in 1000 miles you may have an issue.

Last edited:
In the USA Nissan 350z (basically same engine) many had replacement engines due to excessive oil consumption. Main dealership would top of the dipstick and record the mileage. Customer would return the car after a 1000 miles and if it consumes more than 1 litre with no oil leaks a replacement engine was fitted. Some owners had theses from new and had less than 30k miles and serviced regularly.
Having said that mine was burning around 1 litre every 500 miles, a sufficient amount to cause emissions issues. Obviously replaced PCV, made no difference. Replaced valve stem seals, oil consumption dropped considerably, still regulating but so far added around quarter litre in 750 miles and now passes emissions with secondary catalytic converters only.
So if you are consuming more than 1 litre in 1000 miles you may have an issue.
Thanks for responding. I’ll keep an eye on it and it’s in for an MOT in a couple of months so that should flag any emissions problems.

I’m going to give it a proper Italian tune up over the weekend and then check the oil.

Hopefully this is a blip.

Mine would burn maybe 500ml every 1000kms if I drove hard. Recently though, with new plugs and driving more "calmly" it's not using any oil that I can tell...
I really think driving style can affect oil consumption too.

Mine would burn maybe 500ml every 1000kms if I drove hard. Recently though, with new plugs and driving more "calmly" it's not using any oil that I can tell...
I think it must be, I spent 12 days going up and down hills in Wales and before that never lost any oil. I’m going to change the plugs and the PCV and keep a very close eye on it using the plan outlined in the PDF above.

I’m just hoping for no blue smoke 🙏

I think it must be, I spent 12 days going up and down hills in Wales and before that never lost any oil. I’m going to change the plugs and the PCV and keep a very close eye on it using the plan outlined in the PDF above.

I’m just hoping for no blue smoke 🙏
To be honest I didn’t notice any smoke apart from the odd occasion coasting down hill over a long period. (High engine vacuum) than a puff of blue and than nothing. But than i never had a tail gaiter behind telling me any different.

I feel mine is around your consumption now and definitely varies depending on driving style.

I suppose I'm fortunate that my Ellie doesn't use a drop of oil.. checked it before my run up to Wales, the Scotland and back down South... 1300 miles clocked up in a week... not a drop used 😁 wish it was the same for the fuel 🫣🫣

As I have never had to top up the oil at the moment, and probably a question asked somwhere on here what is the recomented oil type for E51 4WD 2.5 Ltr

As I have never had to top up the oil at the moment, and probably a question asked somwhere on here what is the recomented oil type for E51 4WD 2.5 Ltr
5W30 API SM or better (eg API SN, API SP).

Many members that do frequent changes with an API SL (as that's generally a fair bit cheaper). SM and later ones protect better against sludge, which is why I use & recommend that to people.

Th
5W30 API SM or better (eg API SN, API SP).

Many members that do frequent changes with an API SL (as that's generally a fair bit cheaper). SM and later ones protect better against sludge, which is why I use & recommend that to people.
Cool, Thank you

Back