• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Campervan - if you were doing it all again, what would you do differently?

It was said at the start of this thread that everyone would have a different view on this, George has come his Conclusion based on his needs, yet we came to the exact opposite decision, and went from a basic ‘folded seat’ arrangement to a full on conversion with RnR bed, and we love it! …. So what’s the answer? There isn’t one, it’s what YOU want and need … it’s a good plan to drive it as it comes for a while , try your camping-lite and it will soon become apparent what suits you guys …. One thing is for sure, you’ll love the van as they are ace, no argument about that 😃

The cars are so nice we started thinking...do we really want to rip this out to make a camper!!! [...]

We have decided though to get the car first, drive it for a while to check we're happy with it as a vehicle and THEN get a conversion done. In the meantime we could "campervan-lite" by folding all the seats down and using our tent/camping equipment alongside.
Good - that the best way to do it 👍 When you do come to convert, you'll know exactly what you need.

It was said at the start of this thread that everyone would have a different view on this, George has come his Conclusion based on his needs, yet we came to the exact opposite decision, and went from a basic ‘folded seat’ arrangement to a full on conversion with RnR bed, and we love it! …. So what’s the answer? There isn’t one, it’s what YOU want and need … it’s a good plan to drive it as it comes for a while , try your camping-lite and it will soon become apparent what suits you guys …. One thing is for sure, you’ll love the van as they are ace, no argument about that 😃
haha - I know!! There are SO many options but I really appreciate the responses - there are some where I've thought....'oooo, I'd not thought about that'.... so any and all opinions are welcomed!

re JAL... i placed an order with them in January and am still waiting for the van (silver 2007 2.5l). communication is absolutely terrible, lucky to get a one line response by email. i hope and prey that the van will be as expected and in perfect condition very soon. i will keep you updated.

I’m yet to use my Porta Potty, and that’s with 39 nights slept in the van so far. It just takes up space that would be better served as a cupboard or whatever. Pop top only for storage when parked - again, didn’t necessarily need it.

Fridge is well worth it, as is the Webasto petrol heater.

What fridge did you fit please? I’m struggling to find a small enough one!

I’m yet to use my Porta Potty, and that’s with 39 nights slept in the van so far. It just takes up space that would be better served as a cupboard or whatever. Pop top only for storage when parked - again, didn’t necessarily need it.

Fridge is well worth it, as is the Webasto petrol heater.
Is that 39 nights all in one go?

Relative newbie question here. I'm not an Elgrand owner yet but seriously considering one.

I know that the middle seats and rear seats fold to make a bed. But is it possible to make a bed using the front seats reclined and the middle seats? Or do the heights not work out?

I'm thinking that this method would still leave lots of space at the rear for stuff. Since I have not seen a picture of this arrangement I'm guessing that it doesn't work!

is it possible to make a bed using the front seats reclined and the middle seats? .... Since I have not seen a picture of this arrangement I'm guessing that it doesn't work!
Your guess is correct - it's not possible in an E51 as the front seats don't recline flat.

Your guess is correct - it's not possible in an E51 as the front seats don't recline flat.
Do they not , sure they do in a e50 , or as flat as middle ones do

Hi all - sometimes we realise it after the event..."if only I'd done this", "I should have done that"....

For those with camper conversions (whether bought as conversions or added it yourself) what are the things you'd do differently if you did it again?
What would you definitely add?
What was a complete waste of time /effort?
X company was complete garbage

Suspect this will be massively subjective - but for context, we are a family of 3.

Thanks in advance!.
I fitted a side conversion with r+r bed, no hob or fridge - just a small sink to freshen up in the morning.
We use our van for camping pub stopovers where we stay in their car park and have a meal.
An awning in the car park is not feasible, a pop top would be advantageous for standing up when getting dressed, I am toying with the idea of having one.
Swivel passenger seat sometimes gets used, depends on what they are serving in the pub / whether i can be bothered to spin it around.
We have a porta-potti as once again it depends on what they are serving in the pub whether it is used. After 30 years together there are no secrets in the van between me and my wife.
We have used it for longer stays on a proper site and we used a blow up awning.
I found the seats were very uncomfortable for sleeping on before the conversion, the only good night I had was with a full size double mattress and copious amounts of alcohol at Santa pod a few years back.

Couple of points:

If you are considering a side conversion carefully think about the driver seat position - how far can you go back? If you are 6ft - or over 5'10" - this needs careful attention.

Additionally, carefully consider the rock n roll bed width? Many are at 41" (3'5") - would you be happy with that?

Additional Point

Before proceeding with a side conversion add some tails to the "Aux" connections (offside rear - bottom of pillar) and leave the tails somewhere accessible - as when side conversion is in place you cannot access them.

Old post, but this has made an interesting read for a newbie - thanks. Nice food for thought 🤔

I've got a rear conversion with the side seats over the wheel arches and factory fitted middle seats still in situ, but found its too cramped to actually sit on the side seats so we just sit on the middle seats using the side seats as foot rests and very small cupboards!

Back