• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Campervan - if you were doing it all again, what would you do differently?

SuzieP

Premium Member
Midlands
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Suzie
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Hi all - sometimes we realise it after the event..."if only I'd done this", "I should have done that"....

For those with camper conversions (whether bought as conversions or added it yourself) what are the things you'd do differently if you did it again?
What would you definitely add?
What was a complete waste of time /effort?
X company was complete garbage

Suspect this will be massively subjective - but for context, we are a family of 3.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks @JohnK - I can't view that thread just yet.. but I will do -- but guess where we're off to tomorrow!!?? Yup - JAL :joy: :p

We're really just taking the opportunity to have a good look around - and a lot of the people we've found are MILES away.

I think if we can see some vehicles in the flesh, we'd be more confident about potentially 'distance-buying' (if that makes sense!)

I've also had 2 kind offers from owners in Shropshire to go and view their vehicles, which I may be taking them up on!

Two chunky adults and two medium sized dogs. Would probably go for a rear conversion rather than a side one as a 3/4 width rock and roll bed is a bit cosy for She Who Must Be Obeyed - dogs sleep on the front seats when camping.

Thanks @JohnK - I can't view that thread just yet.. but I will do -- but guess where we're off to tomorrow!!?? Yup - JAL :joy: :p

We're really just taking the opportunity to have a good look around - and a lot of the people we've found are MILES away.

I think if we can see some vehicles in the flesh, we'd be more confident about potentially 'distance-buying' (if that makes sense!)

I've also had 2 kind offers from owners in Shropshire to go and view their vehicles, which I may be taking them up on!
You're on 11 posts now so will be able to view whole forum. Might need to log out then back in again. When you visit ask if you can take a good look at one that's been converted.
Good luck tomorrow!!

You're on 11 posts now so will be able to view whole forum. Might need to log out then back in again. When you visit ask if you can take a good look at one that's been converted.
Good luck tomorrow!!
I've had a look now (after signing out and in - good tip!) - it looks like the issues were mainly his running down of other places and stubbornness of what can and can't be done? Would that be about right?
I've spoken to him on the phone already and he is very direct in his approach, which isn't an issue for me... but it'll be an interesting visit!
I'll keep you posted!!

Nice drive out to Inkberrow if nothing else!

(FWIW finding someone local-ish that was OPEN at the weekend has been harder than I imagined!!! It's like people don;t want to sell you anything - looking at you, New Dawn Conversions!!

every owner will have a different answer to this one, so much depends on your own requirements and what you find comfortable… for what it’s worth here’s my experience :

I had a van with a rear conversion first, and a pop top roof with bed boards. We soon found this gave so little floor space (the middle seats remain) and the bed wasn’t comfortable really. For one night stops with just me it was fine, but I soon realised a side conversion would suit us better. The current van has a side conversion, 41” RnR bed, pull down roof bed etc etc … and it is SO much better as a camper, for such a small van there is plenty of room for two (Swivel passenger seat is a must here) and the bed is super comfy. It’s quite small, but we find it fine for our short duration stays (usually 2 nights) better than you’d think, but a wider bed would be nice for longer stays I have to say (check the slimline conversion on offer) …. For longer stays we put up a nice drive away awning and this makes your base camp really spacious, but with benefit of the facilities of the van, comfy seats, fridge, hobs, lights etc etc … oh and if you can get a blown air heater fitted, game changer for early/late season stopovers.

bit of a long winded reply, soz, but we love the Elgrand as a camper, if it’s converted nicely it makes a great base vehicle… and it’s still small enough to fit on the drive and isn’t stressful to drive down the narrow country lanes we have in the UK … I’ve seen owners of larger vans have near breakdowns trying to navigate busy lanes in their Crafters 😃

I've had a look now (after signing out and in - good tip!) - it looks like the issues were mainly his running down of other places and stubbornness of what can and can't be done? Would that be about right?
I've spoken to him on the phone already and he is very direct in his approach, which isn't an issue for me... but it'll be an interesting visit!
I'll keep you posted!!

Nice drive out to Inkberrow if nothing else!

(FWIW finding someone local-ish that was OPEN at the weekend has been harder than I imagined!!! It's like people don;t want to sell you anything - looking at you, New Dawn Conversions!!
Another thread to read through with some pics of my conversion
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/advice-for-a-conversion-rookie.13620/post-158780
And this one
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/jal-imports.27296/
There are others but think they've been archived as can't find them now.

Oh and this is what happened to my JAL pop top after a couple of years...
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-Elgrand-today.28/post-466535

Another thread to read through with some pics of my conversion
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/advice-for-a-conversion-rookie.13620/post-158780
And this one
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/jal-imports.27296/
There are others but think they've been archived as can't find them now.

Oh and this is what happened to my JAL pop top after a couple of years...
https://forum.elgrandoc.uk/threads/what-have-you-done-to-your-Elgrand-today.28/post-466535
Should be able to open that last link in repost above.

Should be able to open that last link in repost above.
Thanks a lot @JohnK - I've been searching and found one of these posts but not all of them - useful to have in one place!

every owner will have a different answer to this one, so much depends on your own requirements and what you find comfortable… for what it’s worth here’s my experience :

I had a van with a rear conversion first, and a pop top roof with bed boards. We soon found this gave so little floor space (the middle seats remain) and the bed wasn’t comfortable really. For one night stops with just me it was fine, but I soon realised a side conversion would suit us better. The current van has a side conversion, 41” RnR bed, pull down roof bed etc etc … and it is SO much better as a camper, for such a small van there is plenty of room for two (Swivel passenger seat is a must here) and the bed is super comfy. It’s quite small, but we find it fine for our short duration stays (usually 2 nights) better than you’d think, but a wider bed would be nice for longer stays I have to say (check the slimline conversion on offer) …. For longer stays we put up a nice drive away awning and this makes your base camp really spacious, but with benefit of the facilities of the van, comfy seats, fridge, hobs, lights etc etc … oh and if you can get a blown air heater fitted, game changer for early/late season stopovers.

bit of a long winded reply, soz, but we love the Elgrand as a camper, if it’s converted nicely it makes a great base vehicle… and it’s still small enough to fit on the drive and isn’t stressful to drive down the narrow country lanes we have in the UK … I’ve seen owners of larger vans have near breakdowns trying to navigate busy lanes in their Crafters 😃
I love a long reply - thanks!

Totally agree with @Redmeg regarding the pop top roof and swivel front passenger seat both these add to space inside our side conversion.
Be aware that the pop top will add about 3 inches to the height of the vehicle, the swivel seat mechanism in our van reduces headroom by a couple of inches.

Did you survive?...Are you still recovering from the experience?

I’ve been very happy with the layout and material choices.

Minor things but I’d have upgraded the speakers in the side doors before conversion. Also I’d put the electric hookup under the back bumper rather than in the rear wing, but that’s only because I’m changing the rear bumper for a non-standard one and it clashes.

Details of my side conversion here:

I’ve been very happy with the layout and material choices.

Minor things but I’d have upgraded the speakers in the side doors before conversion. Also I’d put the electric hookup under the back bumper rather than in the rear wing, but that’s only because I’m changing the rear bumper for a non-standard one and it clashes.

Details of my side conversion here:
Lize- thanks so much for that link - it's an excellent read! I may send a message directly - if you'd rather not, just ignore it!!

Lize- thanks so much for that link - it's an excellent read! I may send a message directly - if you'd rather not, just ignore it!
Happy to help if I can.

Did you survive?...Are you still recovering from the experience?
Ho @JohnK - after reading all your information and many other comments on many other forums/outlet it all felt wrong in the gut. Would we buying from him? Probably not... so decided to save the hour drive each way and called it off!!

We went over to Worcester Rd cars in Stourport instead to have a good look at their many Elgrands and have a chat with them. Got a good vibe from them.

The cars are so nice we started thinking...do we really want to rip this out to make a camper!!! But we will, as that's the whole point for us.

We have decided though to get the car first, drive it for a while to check we're happy with it as a vehicle and THEN get a conversion done. In the meantime we could "campervan-lite" by folding all the seats down and using our tent/camping equipment alongside.

I really appreciate your time in highlighting your issues - it helps ENORMOUSLY!

I just had another thought, I opted for the Propex heater which for me was important. However I got a gas and mains hookup one, on reflection I’d look at gas only as it’s a much cheaper unit. It really depends on whether you’ll have hookup often mid/cold season. Also I might be inclined to make the gas bottle cupboard a bit bigger to accommodate bottles other than the campingaz (907?) ones.

Ours was already converted to a side camper with pop-top and R&R bed, leisure battery and swivel passenger seat when we bought it six years ago.
We are a couple of oldies who like to get out and about a bit and our son lived in the Highlands when we bought it. We also have a daughter who lives in the Lake District. The idea was that we would be able to take our time going wherever we wanted to go.
I had quite serious heart problems at the time so we needed to be able to stop and rest if needed.

I soon found out that a R&R is not wide enough for two and isn't very comfortable (for oldies) unless you use a memory foam topper.
The fridge was a waste of space and weight. Looks good and sounds good - but doesn't hold much and soon drains the battery if you are not connected to the mains. The Pop-top looks good from the outside but doesn't provide a lot of room to move about in. I'm 6'4" so need headroom if I'm cooking, washing up etc, but even with a pop top the room to move about in is very limiting. We used the pop top just to stash things in to make room for sleeping below as there isn't much room for anything else once the bed is pulled out and we couldn't fit everything onto the front seats.
There is supposed to be room for two kids to sleep in the boarded out pop top but they would have to be under six years old I think.

My solution was to buy a blow up awning and some blow up beds but this obviously needs more room to set up camp on but isn't much effort to do. I also bought a quiet Honda generator which seemed like a good idea at the time but hasn't been used because my health improved so we didn't need it and we have mainly used the camper for days out rather than for somewhere to sleep.

So....
I'd buy a good blow up awning and do without the R&R bed, pop top and fridge etc, and I'd remove the rear seats and buy a camping unit and a good freezer box and some foam matresses to go over the seats. A lot cheaper, and the Ellie is still the versataile means of transport that it can be.

Ho @JohnK - after reading all your information and many other comments on many other forums/outlet it all felt wrong in the gut. Would we buying from him? Probably not... so decided to save the hour drive each way and called it off!!

We went over to Worcester Rd cars in Stourport instead to have a good look at their many Elgrands and have a chat with them. Got a good vibe from them.

The cars are so nice we started thinking...do we really want to rip this out to make a camper!!! But we will, as that's the whole point for us.

We have decided though to get the car first, drive it for a while to check we're happy with it as a vehicle and THEN get a conversion done. In the meantime we could "campervan-lite" by folding all the seats down and using our tent/camping equipment alongside.

I really appreciate your time in highlighting your issues - it helps ENORMOUSLY!
Good decision!

Back