• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

BREAKDOWN COVER ?

JKD

Premium Member
South East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
'ello chaps, ANY ADVICE/RECOMMENDATIONS re BREAKDOWN COMPANIES in England? always used greenflag in the past, wont take it to europe

Just organised a new insurance via greenlight which is recommended thro' this forum (renewal company refused to re-insure!!) over the phone, and the guy rattling off all the details so fast i failed to hear [because he didnt mention it!!] that BREAKDOWN COVER wasn't mentioned as not part of the quote. So i immediately rang back up to query if it was included? to find I've paid for a new policy to start in 20days time WITHOUT breakdown cover so now i need to hunt around for a separate BREAKDOWN COVER. Apparently there's a £95 cooling off charge if i want to cancel the policy. ANY ADVICE re BREAKDOWN COMPANIES?
BACKGROUND: so up for renewal, current provider didnt want to re-quote! never had that before but then again never owned an import before. spoke to greenlight and knowledgeable chap said 'surprised they even quoted last yr as they probably wont have Elgrand on their system & have it down as Nissan 'blank' so in the event of a claim they wouldn't insure & have a get-out-of-jail because its YOUR job as the owner to check the policy over, the fact that an insurance company have taken your money upfront is irrelevant. There was pressure on the call that the cost of £518 is reduced to £469.50 if i pay today BUT he was Elgrand knowledgeable that the quotes i had so far via comparison sites might be cheaper [which they were] BUT that doesn't mean Elgrand are covered!? PLUS, and here's the bit about breakdown, that lots of b/down companies wont come out for modified/import/cars over 10yrs old so actually I could get caught out with that too! (I did have a call out about 8mths ago where greenflag came out no problem...problem was minor and didnt require being taken away)

So this thread isn't about feeling like i've been pressurised into buying insurance, though maybe i should feel aggrieved...as at least greenlight seem knowledgeable + are recommended here, and its maybe part n parcel of owning a 20yr old import....all I'm after is advice on breakdown companies before I start contacting greenflag etc etc.

DATA: So greenlight quote was £518 reduced to ~£470 if i buy NOW. £250 excess with windscreen cover but no breakdown.
Best Other quotes so far via comparison sites, i havent been direct to insurers other than greenlight to this point, was with breakdown £425 but oddily no windscreen cover and total excess of £950! & possibly not truely covered which is the biggest thing I've learnt today. If you said breakdown cover could cost a further £70 then as a comparison i have £425 versus £540 = £115 more expensive albeit possibly a proper policy+proper peace-of-mind breakdown assistance.

Warm Regards J

I have RAC breakdown coverage through my Elgrand insurance and AA via my wife's car. AA have been responsive (turned up in less than an hour. Twice). RAC were slower. Not much data there but thought I'd share

If you want to compare just on price Go Compare will let you
https://www.gocompare.com/breakdown-cover/

And thanks for sharing your experience about insurance - difficult topic for lots of us.

I know you say this post isn't about being pressured but they have fed you some bs in order to get you to pay! The person you spoke with will be paid commission on any sales they make which encourages them to spout any old rubbish to encourage you to sign up.
£95 cancellation charge in the cooling off period is extortionate. The cooling off period is enshrined in law. Most companies would not charge a fee even though they are legally allowed to do so but any fee charged should be reasonable and only enough to cover any admin costs.
Their comment about not paying out in the event of a claim is bollix. The fact the V5c only shows Nissan with no model is irrelevant. If you've told them it's an Elgrand and the insurers have accepted the cover this would not give them reason to refuse the claim.
As for breakdown cover Green Flag will cover older vehicles on a specified vehicle basis. There is only an age limit if you opt for personal cover which covers you when travelling in any vehicle. AA and RAC do not have age limits.

Thanks JohnK, I'm glad I put all the background, more than just the basic question I have re B/down in my post to stimulate this kinda reply. Agreed £95is extortionate! I had to get him (adam) to repeat himself to hear IF i heard it right (had phone on loud speaker which is never the clearest) as £95 prohibits really any savings I would find elsewhere albeit i might waste time to continue to shop around & actually ring up to double check any 'smallprint' with age/imports & if I can save £100 just swop as a protest. he said £95 was to cover admin with the underwriters (as I was obviously shocked at it). I have now received Greenlights email so will read thro' it once I've assessed b/down costs. Thank again on the age limit re personal cover (something else I didnt realise).

I think with Hindsight next year greenlight will be my Last port of call not first, so if they want to try that buy-it-now bollix I'll be in a better position rip them off. I rang them back again [though only an adam who picks up the one) to ask about b/dwn cover which he was unable to offer albeit he did log onto i think this forum to do a word search on b/down and suggested looking on here...which is what i'm doing now & what I alas did afew hours ago for insurance lol. He'll probaby read this once day.

Just as FYI my 1st ever Elgrand insurance which i took out last year, March'23 was (with breakdown)
Total price paid: £512.65...which i reckon will be £27 cheaper, maybe not too bad given Insurance generally got hugely more expensive last year for every car >>>
£512.65 March 2023 (Premium includes Insurance Premium Tax at current rate)
Car Insurance Premium: £386.68
(Including No Claims Discount Protection at a cost of £21.88)
Motor Legal Protection: £26.99
Guaranteed Hire Car Plus: £24.99
Green Flag Recovery Plus: £73.99

I have RAC breakdown coverage through my Elgrand insurance and AA via my wife's car. AA have been responsive (turned up in less than an hour. Twice). RAC were slower. Not much data there but thought I'd share

If you want to compare just on price Go Compare will let you
https://www.gocompare.com/breakdown-cover/

And thanks for sharing your experience about insurance - difficult topic for lots of us.
thanks for the link matey will check it out now

well a bit of a (GOOD) shock! though i'll need to call to ensure there's no 'issues' with an Elgrand. but only ~£20/yr for breakdown with home start/nationwide recovery! jes** you add that on a comparison site oftens costs £70! £20! costs me £20 to drive 50miles in an Elgrand
1709824480581.png

I paid £222 for my Elgrands fully comp insurance with LV in June last year as part of a multi car policy, (this was more than I paid for my 2 other cars both with V8's and 360 and 580 bhp and 18 and 20 years old), strangely the most powerful of the 2 was the cheapest at only £167.
Breakdown cover is not included and I have this as a separate policy with Covermy as personal cover and includes my wife and grandaughter and includes key cover and no excess. This costs £110 per year so all three of us covered in any car. Not used it yet but at the time I took it out they had good reviews on trustpilot so hopefully if needed will all be ok.

well a bit of a (GOOD) shock! though i'll need to call to ensure there's no 'issues' with an Elgrand. but only ~£20/yr for breakdown with home start/nationwide recovery! jes** you add that on a comparison site oftens costs £70! £20! costs me £20 to drive 50miles in an Elgrand
View attachment 99039
WHo are those with?

I paid £222 for my Elgrands fully comp insurance with LV in June last year as part of a multi car policy, (this was more than I paid for my 2 other cars both with V8's and 360 and 580 bhp and 18 and 20 years old), strangely the most powerful of the 2 was the cheapest at only £167.
Breakdown cover is not included and I have this as a separate policy with Covermy as personal cover and includes my wife and grandaughter and includes key cover and no excess. This costs £110 per year so all three of us covered in any car. Not used it yet but at the time I took it out they had good reviews on trustpilot so hopefully if needed will all be ok.
Covermy have a car age limit of 21 so not suitable for older models. Other than that they do look reasonably priced.

That must have been a renew with LV, as they no longer take on imports for new policies, only continual existing ones.

Covermy have a car age limit of 21 so not suitable for older models. Other than that they do look reasonably priced.
Yes I did know this, all three of my cars just about fall into this at present but will have to think again at renewal as 2 including my Elgrand were first registered in Feb 2004 so will be over 21 by the renewal due in 2025

That must have been a renew with LV, as they no longer take on imports for new policies, only continual existing ones.
I was not aware they will not take on new imports but yes it was a renewal. I have been with LV since I imported my Elgrand back in 2019 when I was with Admiral on a Multi car policy but they ether wanted a stupid amount to insure it or wont insure it, (I can't remember which).
LV have been really good and paid out on a total loss on my wife's car back in 2021 fairly and promptly so will most likely stay with them.
Interesting that they no longer cover imports as thinking about it I am certain that at one time my Elgrand was the cheapest of the 3 for insurance and is now the most expensive probably due to there claims experience hence why they will no longer insure them.

I was not aware they will not take on new imports but yes it was a renewal. I have been with LV since I imported my Elgrand back in 2019 when I was with Admiral on a Multi car policy but they ether wanted a stupid amount to insure it or wont insure it, (I can't remember which).
LV have been really good and paid out on a total loss on my wife's car back in 2021 fairly and promptly so will most likely stay with them.
Interesting that they no longer cover imports as thinking about it I am certain that at one time my Elgrand was the cheapest of the 3 for insurance and is now the most expensive probably due to there claims experience hence why they will no longer insure them.
Yes, I tried when I got mine at the start of October. I also got an LV multi policy and thought I'd just add that one. But they said they aren't doing them anymore for newbies. Like yourself, I also found LV great...and this was when me and the Mrs weren't even insured with them, but the other person at fault was. Went with them ourselves after that.
I ended up going with Admiral for just over £500 inc breakdown over. I have also read about their often silly renewal quotes.

Read the small print on breakdown cover because they don't all do the same. For example some will recover a vehicle and the trailer its towing, some will just recover the vehicle. Some will ask where you'd like to be recovered to, others will just recover to a garage. Sometimes breakdown cover that's included with having a certain bank account or insurance policy is different from the normal cover offered by the same breakdown service.

i presume the excess on car b/dwon cover is everytime you call them, so £20.42 looks the better deal. if it goes up by tomorrow I'll devote time tomorrow to shop around and secure a b/down cover asap

'ello chaps, ANY ADVICE/RECOMMENDATIONS re BREAKDOWN COMPANIES in England? always used greenflag in the past, wont take it to europe

Just organised a new insurance via greenlight which is recommended thro' this forum (renewal company refused to re-insure!!) over the phone, and the guy rattling off all the details so fast i failed to hear [because he didnt mention it!!] that BREAKDOWN COVER wasn't mentioned as not part of the quote. So i immediately rang back up to query if it was included? to find I've paid for a new policy to start in 20days time WITHOUT breakdown cover so now i need to hunt around for a separate BREAKDOWN COVER. Apparently there's a £95 cooling off charge if i want to cancel the policy. ANY ADVICE re BREAKDOWN COMPANIES?
BACKGROUND: so up for renewal, current provider didnt want to re-quote! never had that before but then again never owned an import before. spoke to greenlight and knowledgeable chap said 'surprised they even quoted last yr as they probably wont have Elgrand on their system & have it down as Nissan 'blank' so in the event of a claim they wouldn't insure & have a get-out-of-jail because its YOUR job as the owner to check the policy over, the fact that an insurance company have taken your money upfront is irrelevant. There was pressure on the call that the cost of £518 is reduced to £469.50 if i pay today BUT he was Elgrand knowledgeable that the quotes i had so far via comparison sites might be cheaper [which they were] BUT that doesn't mean Elgrand are covered!? PLUS, and here's the bit about breakdown, that lots of b/down companies wont come out for modified/import/cars over 10yrs old so actually I could get caught out with that too! (I did have a call out about 8mths ago where greenflag came out no problem...problem was minor and didnt require being taken away)

So this thread isn't about feeling like i've been pressurised into buying insurance, though maybe i should feel aggrieved...as at least greenlight seem knowledgeable + are recommended here, and its maybe part n parcel of owning a 20yr old import....all I'm after is advice on breakdown companies before I start contacting greenflag etc etc.

DATA: So greenlight quote was £518 reduced to ~£470 if i buy NOW. £250 excess with windscreen cover but no breakdown.
Best Other quotes so far via comparison sites, i havent been direct to insurers other than greenlight to this point, was with breakdown £425 but oddily no windscreen cover and total excess of £950! & possibly not truely covered which is the biggest thing I've learnt today. If you said breakdown cover could cost a further £70 then as a comparison i have £425 versus £540 = £115 more expensive albeit possibly a proper policy+proper peace-of-mind breakdown assistance.

Warm Regards J
As far as I know you have a right to cancel within 14 days by law, and they shouldn't be able to charge you for it! If they've provided no cover for you yet, they cannot charge you within the 14 day cooling off period.

Just as a footnote to this thread/post, i rang up the breakdown people to check they had 'Elgrand' etc etc as ~£20.42 & she came up with the same amount BUTseemed too cheap & found out they had the car details BUT as a 2018 not 2004. 2018 rings a bell, I think import date. That made a difference as 'older' costs £53.58. Still good value either way.

Mine was insured through LV on a multi car policy with my EV. When they wrote if off last month, I rang them to insure the new S3 that I was planning to buy and they said that they no longer cover Elgrands - it would have been a new policy as the old one was still on the multi car policy. It will be interesting to see if they will still insure the old one (I bought it back and may repair it) when it comes up for renewal. LV have been good in the past but am a little miffed they won't cover the new one. Went with Admiral in the end - £773 !!!!

Just as a footnote to this thread/post, i rang up the breakdown people to check they had 'Elgrand' etc etc as ~£20.42 & she came up with the same amount BUTseemed too cheap & found out they had the car details BUT as a 2018 not 2004. 2018 rings a bell, I think import date. That made a difference as 'older' costs £53.58. Still good value either way.
Good value that. I had a similar experience with AA breakdown cover. Private reg plate was still showing as the old car it came off on their system and not my Elgrand.

Back