• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Bike Racks

Hi @erichmond - a few points for your consideration regarding the Thule 973 (Thule also refer to this model as the BackPac):
  • you can find an instruction manual for this rack here
  • in these instructions you will see that the rack alone weighs 15Kg
  • although the Nissan Elgrand isn't specifically listed, other Nissans are and the instructions indicate each bike carried should be no more than 15kg with a maximum of 3 bikes allowed at a total bike weight of 45Kg.
  • I have personally carried my wife's eBike at 21Kg on the innermost position plus my 12Kg steel framed bike in position two without any apparent damage to the rack or Elgrand, but there again I haven't dropped down any large pot holes whilst so loaded either, and it is in such situations that any overloading might make itsself known!
  • Removing the ebike batteries before loading is the obvious thing to do here and makes the lifting of the bikes into position easier anyway
Bike Frame Adapter (for step-thru frames) - Thule item# 982 - typically priced around £25 plus p&p
  • this adapter connects between the handlebar stem and seat post on a step-through bike frame to allow the rack's securing arms to hold the frame securely
  • as indicated in the pics below, the rack's securing arm head swivels and I have used the arm, without the frame adapater, to hold the wife's bike directly on the handlebar stem (indicated by red 'X' in the pic). To be able to do this is going to be bike layout dependant.
View attachment 43912

View attachment 43914

View attachment 43916
hi, do you know how far you extend the arms on the 18 fitting kit and the hook that clips on the top of the boot? there's a choice of A or B then 1,2,3,4 for the arms and then 12 options on the strap that reaches back to where the hooks connect at the top. and is it the 04 or 06 feet for the Elgrand? thanks

hi, do you know how far you extend the arms on the 18 fitting kit and the hook that clips on the top of the boot? there's a choice of A or B then 1,2,3,4 for the arms and then 12 options on the strap that reaches back to where the hooks connect at the top. and is it the 04 or 06 feet for the Elgrand? thanks
I don't know the specific answer to your question and I know that some Elgrands have bigger air deflectors than others. Below is a pic of mine I took a couple of minutes ago with the tape measure to give you an idea of dimensions - my vehicle is an E51 S1 XL - I think it it the Highway Star that has a bigger air deflector.

hope that helps?
Thule top strap.jpg

Thanks for that. How far extended are the extended sets from metal curved arms do you know? Guess it’s a bit of trial and error! Do you know if that’s the 04 or 06 feet pads?

Do you know if that’s the 04 or 06 feet pads?
I'm afraid I do not know the answer to that - I bought the rack 2nd hand off ebay and it came without paperwork so I've no idea what the purchased spec was.

Cheers, AlanM

Hi @erichmond - a few points for your consideration regarding the Thule 973 (Thule also refer to this model as the BackPac):
  • you can find an instruction manual for this rack here
  • in these instructions you will see that the rack alone weighs 15Kg
  • although the Nissan Elgrand isn't specifically listed, other Nissans are and the instructions indicate each bike carried should be no more than 15kg with a maximum of 3 bikes allowed at a total bike weight of 45Kg.
  • I have personally carried my wife's eBike at 21Kg on the innermost position plus my 12Kg steel framed bike in position two without any apparent damage to the rack or Elgrand, but there again I haven't dropped down any large pot holes whilst so loaded either, and it is in such situations that any overloading might make itsself known!
  • Removing the ebike batteries before loading is the obvious thing to do here and makes the lifting of the bikes into position easier anyway
Bike Frame Adapter (for step-thru frames) - Thule item# 982 - typically priced around £25 plus p&p
  • this adapter connects between the handlebar stem and seat post on a step-through bike frame to allow the rack's securing arms to hold the frame securely
  • as indicated in the pics below, the rack's securing arm head swivels and I have used the arm, without the frame adapater, to hold the wife's bike directly on the handlebar stem (indicated by red 'X' in the pic). To be able to do this is going to be bike layout dependant.
View attachment 43912

View attachment 43914

View attachment 43916
Thanks Alan great informative post.

I'm in Australia and the 973-18 fitting doesn't seem hard to come by, so looking at taking the plunge. I have s big heavy ebike though so might need to find out its weight before making. purchase.

Thanks Alan great informative post.

I'm in Australia and the 973-18 fitting doesn't seem hard to come by, so looking at taking the plunge. I have s big heavy ebike though so might need to find out its weight before making. purchase.
Once you know the weight of your ebike then maybe an email to the manufacturer but given that the rack can take up to 4 bikes, and let's be on the conservative side and say each bike is 12Kg, then 48Kg is a reasonable total weight I'd have thought?

On some ebikes you can remove the battery easily - that'll save a bit of weight.

Last edited:
Back