• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Bike Racks

Katman 59

E50 Owner
Midlands
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
E50
Region
Midlands
Hi all, after a bike rack for my E50, what have people fitted ? Is there any difference between the models asto which rack will fit ? Cheers.

Hi all, after a bike rack for my E50, what have people fitted ? Is there any difference between the models asto which rack will fit ? Cheers.
I can't answer you but was wondering the same for an E51 ... presuming it would have to be a tow bar fitting one but would be good to know if anyone has got one for either model they recommend!

I can't answer you but was wondering the same for an E51 ... presuming it would have to be a tow bar fitting one but would be good to know if anyone has got one for either model they recommend!
PS just realised this is in the 'social' section so maybe try in the 'technical' section too? I have tried to search but can't find anything conclusive! :)

@AlanM is your man for bike racks.
I have the Thule 973 with fitting kit 18 on my E51 S1 with the standard rear spoiler.

This rack doesn't fit some E51 that have extended spoilers and some boot bottom lips can get in the way of the rack's bottom fixing clips.

I have a towbar and a two bike carrier a very good secure set up, pricey (towbar+carrier), only drawback is that carrier does not tilt enough to open the back while fitted, but this is not an issue for me.

Thule 925001, Velo Compact 925, 2 Bike, Towball Carrier, 7 pin​

I'Ve been looking at tow ball mounting bike racks, RoofBox.co.uk do a good range of racks, I was thinking of Atera genio pro gives enough tilt to allow tailgate to open, Buzz Rack E-Hornet is cheaper, it tilts but might not give enough clearance for tail gate to lift, check them out.

I have an e-bike, it's a step through so does'nt have a cross bar and needs a sturdy rack coz it's heavy !

Many companies do a crossbar adptor for step through bikes, I have a Thurle 982 bike adaptor for my wife's step through.

I have the Thule 973 with fitting kit 18 on my E51 S1 with the standard rear spoiler.

This rack doesn't fit some E51 that have extended spoilers and some boot bottom lips can get in the way of the rack's bottom fixing clips.
Thanks, Alan - i don't think the one I've got a deposit on has these extensions so hopefully will work - I'll look into weight restrictions as we both have an electric bike and they're about 25kg each. My bike is a step through so I see there's another mention below about an adapter needed.

I had thought I'd get a tow bar one to take their weight but will be a pain if can't open the 'boot' easily I presume but maybe I need to live with it a while before deciding how often I'd need the back access rather than the side.

I have an e-bike, it's a step through so does'nt have a cross bar and needs a sturdy rack coz it's heavy !
Me too - a step through Moustache 28.3 - my other half has a Trek e bike so at least 50kg between us - I won't get my camper conversion until early Feb so I'd be really grateful if you'd update me if you go for the Atera genio pro or Buzz Rack if they work with the tailgate :blush:

Hi @erichmond - a few points for your consideration regarding the Thule 973 (Thule also refer to this model as the BackPac):
  • you can find an instruction manual for this rack here
  • in these instructions you will see that the rack alone weighs 15Kg
  • although the Nissan Elgrand isn't specifically listed, other Nissans are and the instructions indicate each bike carried should be no more than 15kg with a maximum of 3 bikes allowed at a total bike weight of 45Kg.
  • I have personally carried my wife's eBike at 21Kg on the innermost position plus my 12Kg steel framed bike in position two without any apparent damage to the rack or Elgrand, but there again I haven't dropped down any large pot holes whilst so loaded either, and it is in such situations that any overloading might make itsself known!
  • Removing the ebike batteries before loading is the obvious thing to do here and makes the lifting of the bikes into position easier anyway
Bike Frame Adapter (for step-thru frames) - Thule item# 982 - typically priced around £25 plus p&p
  • this adapter connects between the handlebar stem and seat post on a step-through bike frame to allow the rack's securing arms to hold the frame securely
  • as indicated in the pics below, the rack's securing arm head swivels and I have used the arm, without the frame adapater, to hold the wife's bike directly on the handlebar stem (indicated by red 'X' in the pic). To be able to do this is going to be bike layout dependant.
1604892937849.png

1604893056532.png

1604893287194.png

Hi @erichmond - a few points for your consideration regarding the Thule 973 (Thule also refer to this model as the BackPac):
  • you can find an instruction manual for this rack here
  • in these instructions you will see that the rack alone weighs 15Kg
  • although the Nissan Elgrand isn't specifically listed, other Nissans are and the instructions indicate each bike carried should be no more than 15kg with a maximum of 3 bikes allowed at a total bike weight of 45Kg.
  • I have personally carried my wife's eBike at 21Kg on the innermost position plus my 12Kg steel framed bike in position two without any apparent damage to the rack or Elgrand, but there again I haven't dropped down any large pot holes whilst so loaded either, and it is in such situations that any overloading might make itsself known!
  • Removing the ebike batteries before loading is the obvious thing to do here and makes the lifting of the bikes into position easier anyway
Bike Frame Adapter (for step-thru frames) - Thule item# 982 - typically priced around £25 plus p&p
  • this adapter connects between the handlebar stem and seat post on a step-through bike frame to allow the rack's securing arms to hold the frame securely
  • as indicated in the pics below, the rack's securing arm head swivels and I have used the arm, without the frame adapater, to hold the wife's bike directly on the handlebar stem (indicated by red 'X' in the pic). To be able to do this is going to be bike layout dependant.
View attachment 43912

View attachment 43914

View attachment 43916
Thank you soooo much - that’s really helpful indeed - much appreciated!!!

I'Ve been looking at tow ball mounting bike racks, RoofBox.co.uk do a good range of racks, I was thinking of Atera genio pro gives enough tilt to allow tailgate to open, Buzz Rack E-Hornet is cheaper, it tilts but might not give enough clearance for tail gate to lift, check them out.
I'm now looking at the same, did you ever work out whether the tailgate could lift with the different buzz rack carriers?

Back