• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

BA light appeared in dash twice, and went off. Can't find what it is in the manual

Elgraman

Here for life
Premium Member
Wales
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Jas
Elgrand
E51
Region
Wales
Hiya,
I searched a bit but can't find nothing. In hammering rain earlier, not too far from home and I noticed a BA 'light' between the two dials in the dash. It went out, only to come back on again very shortly afterwards, to go off again slightly later. It was chucking it down. I wasn't braking. Do you now know what this light is as I can't find anything in the manual?
(I didn't have cruise on, never turned it on in this or any car)

Last edited:
It is on here, I put stuff on about a year and a half ago and it's in the handbook! If you have the cruise control option you also have a 'brake assist' system that pre-loads the brakes if it thinks you will hit something. In the rain when your wipers are on it can't use the radar to detect this so it turns Brake assist off, and tells you by lighting the BA lamp. It also deactivates the cruise control. Therefore the BA means it's raining!

If the BA system had a fault you will get the BA light but also a noise alert and warning on the main screen.
Here’s an interesting old post
It is on here, I put stuff on about a year and a half ago and it's in the handbook! If you have the cruise control option you also have a 'brake assist' system that pre-loads the brakes if it thinks you will hit something. In the rain when your wipers are on it can't use the radar to detect this so it turns Brake assist off, and tells you by lighting the BA lamp. It also deactivates the cruise control. Therefore the BA means it's raining!

If the BA system had a fault you will get the BA light but also a noise alert and warning on the main screen.

Thanks. Yeah, I think it was due to hammering rain. It's in the online manual, but bizarre, not in the manual I bought the other day!
The sensor is right at the bottom of the grill, so probably got loads of rain on it (I was doing 40moh ish). It also says something about it coming on if wipers are on low or high speed(!!). I'm sure I actually put it to low speed, as when I have wipers on, 99% of the time I have them on that intermittent setting, but as it was raining heavy, I put them to on.
There was no buzzer sound, and if went off soon enough, back on again, and off again. Touch wood never came back on in the mile or so then to home.

Brake Assist working as it should if it can't see it can't work.

Just a thought, but could be well off.
BA brake assist!!
If it was lashing down, and a wheel lifted, the abs wheel sensor would think something wrong, one wheel spinning quicker than the other, so the light would flash and return to normal.

Just a thought, but could be well off.
BA brake assist!!
If it was lashing down, and a wheel lifted, the abs wheel sensor would think something wrong, one wheel spinning quicker than the other, so the light would flash and return to normal.
It was lashing down but I wasn't aware of any scary stuff, traction wise. It was on a 'primarily straight with slight curves' road.
All the manual's literature, and comments on here, seem to point to it being a hammering down with rain thing. Hopefully that's all it is 🤞
I very slightly (as in very slightly) went over the solar panelly looking sensor near the bottom of the grill a couple of hours ago, with a clean, very slightly damp in its corner microfibre. It didn't seem dirty or anything. If something good come out of it I know what it is now, and I've fond out where the sensor is, so I know where to be careful when washing/cleaning etc.

It was lashing down but I wasn't aware of any scary stuff, traction wise. It was on a 'primarily straight with slight curves' road.
All the manual's literature, and comments on here, seem to point to it being a hammering down with rain thing. Hopefully that's all it is 🤞
I very slightly (as in very slightly) went over the solar panelly looking sensor near the bottom of the grill a couple of hours ago, with a clean, very slightly damp in its corner microfibre. It didn't seem dirty or anything. If something good come out of it I know what it is now, and I've fond out where the sensor is, so I know where to be careful when washing/cleaning etc.
It dies not work in heavy rain as it cannot see therefore you get the BA light on to inform you radar cruise is not available.

For sure Elgrands with factory cruise have BA brake assist, they will brake for you if cruise control is on and you're approaching something (a vehicle) in front. I didn't know about them 'pre-loading the brakes'. Cruise works if you turn the wipers on but rainfall can interfere with the radar and cause the cruise control to be disabled. Besides rain there are other conditions that might need the wipers on, such as having aircon blowing cold on the windscreen in high humidity conditions to clear condensation from the windscreen (rarely needed in the UK but I have had it happen), during which the cruise control and BA could still function as normal... So I don't think turning the wipers on will disable cruise or BA but for sure rain interfering with the radar will at least disable cruise.

Another question is do Elgrands with factory radar cruise and BA also have stability control? I think they all have traction control but I'm not sure about stability control.

I fitted Lockwood dials on my black E51S1 Elgrand that has radar cruise with BA, I'm not sure if the Lockwood dial blanked out some of the dashboard indicator lights that indicate things like BA and VDC/VSC (I forget what Nissan calls stability control and traction control). The black one has a button to disable at least traction control, and it used to work but now seems not to work, but I don't know if that's due to a disconnected wire or me messing about with settings using Launch X431 gear... But I'd like still to be able to disable traction control.

Last edited:
For sure Elgrands with factory cruise have BA brake assist, they will brake for you if cruise control is on and you're approaching something (a vehicle) in front. I didn't know about them 'pre-loading the brakes'. Cruise works if you turn the wipers on but rainfall can interfere with the radar and cause the cruise control to be disabled. Besides rain there are other conditions that might need the wipers on, such as having aircon blowing cold on the windscreen in high humidity conditions to clear condensation from the windscreen (rarely needed in the UK but I have had it happen), during which the cruise control and BA could still function as normal.
Cruise itself wasn't on when the BA light occurred. I mentioned before I've never used it on any car I've had it on. But I think cruise don't has to be 'physically on' for the BA light to still pop on, like it did on mine. From my reading of these posts it seems the car's saying 'mate, this BA light I've just stuck in your dash means intelligent brake assist won't work in this minging weather and your cruise won't either, so don't bother turning it on'

Last edited:
Cruise itself wasn't on when the BA light occurred. I mentioned before I've never used it on any car I've had it on. But I think cruise don't have to be 'physically on' for the BA light to still pop on, like it did on mine. From my reading of these posts it seems the car's saying 'mate, this BA light I've just stuck in your dash means intelligent brake assist won't work in this minging weather and your cruise won't either, so don't bother turning it on'
Not arguing with that mate, could well be right.

But I know that for sure if there is even a momentary ABS fault or certain type of engine fault (e.g. throttle position sensor fault to name but one) it will trigger the BA light.

Another question is do Elgrands with factory radar cruise and BA also have stability control? I think they all have traction control but I'm not sure about stability control.
Mine got that VDC

Mine got that VDC
I wonder if all with factory cruise have it?

Do you reckon it's just basic traction control, as in backs off engine throttle during wheelspin, more advanced traction control as in both backs off throttle and brakes the spinning wheel(s), or even more advanced to what we might describe as stability control (brakes certain wheels in skid conditions)?

Not arguing with that mate, could well be right.

But I know that for sure if there is even a momentary ABS fault or certain type of engine fault (e.g. throttle position sensor fault to name but one) it will trigger the BA light.
I think maybe the time to worry is if it does it in the bone dry, or of course if the light perma stay on.

It was a interesting comment 'So I don't think turning the wipers on will disable cruise or BA but for sure rain interfering with the radar will at least disable cruise.' I thought this myself.
However the manual got something about it:

'The system ceases operation
temporarily for the following
The intelligent brake assist
warning light illuminates.
(the buzzer does not sound)
*Wipers on low speed (LO)
or high speed (HI)'

I wonder if all with factory cruise have it?

Do you reckon it's just basic traction control, as in backs off engine throttle during wheelspin, more advanced traction control as in both backs off throttle and brakes the spinning wheel(s), or even more advanced to what we might describe as stability control (brakes certain wheels in skid conditions)?
I'm not sure. I'm new to the Elgrand game. There's a whole section in the manual on it (VDC) and it says 'some vehicles' next to the section header.

It does what your second suggestions asked- brakes certain wheels.

It seems users ^ in the thread have experienced it in heavy rain, which is what I was driving in (very heavy). So fingers crossed that's why is came on, went off, came back on again, and went off.
It's always paranoia time getting a used car with miles on it, not knowing what is what, and if it does something you haven't seen before the panic gates open.

I think maybe the time to worry is if it does it in the bone dry, or of course if the light perma stay on.

It was a interesting comment 'So I don't think turning the wipers on will disable cruise or BA but for sure rain interfering with the radar will at least disable cruise.' I thought this myself.
However the manual got something about it:

'The system ceases operation
temporarily for the following
The intelligent brake assist
warning light illuminates.
(the buzzer does not sound)
*Wipers on low speed (LO)
or high speed (HI)'
That's interesting! As said I fitted Lockwood dials which obscure some dash indicators on my S1, I don't know if the BA light comes on when it's raining or not.

I see a lot of Elgrands, far fewer with factory radar cruise, driver far fewer still in rain with factory cruise... I probably wouldn't know if BA lights up when wipers are on or in rain.

I've driven before in the rain and had the wipers on (on as in intermediate), but general rain, getting caught out for 2 mins on the way home stuff. Today was proper heavy, and I'd say I was traveling about 5 miles in it before BA popped up. It (rain) probably affects the sensor in different ways. I bet I could do the same route again and it might not even come on. Rain getting in a place the car don't like is almost impossible to replicate if it don't occur EVERY time.

I've driven before in the rain and had the wipers on (on as in intermediate), but general rain, getting caught out for 2 mins on the way home stuff. Today was proper heavy, and I'd say I was traveling about 5 miles in it before BA popped up. It (rain) probably affects the sensor in different ways. I bet I could do the same route again and it might not even come on. Rain getting in a place the car don't like is almost impossible to replicate if it don't occur EVERY time.
Yeah I doubt there's any issue with your car, just generally interested in radar cruise, ABS, BA, stability control, etc.

Further info - When I first got this black E51S1 with radar cruise the cruise wouldn't work for more than around a minute before disabling due to an error (yellow warning cruise light lit on the dash and a Japanese warning message coming on screen). @George322 had the answer, I needed to clean the radar, following cleaning the cruise worked great. At the moment it's back to being down to a minute of cruise before it trips out with the error messages but I dare say cleaning the radar would sort that again. If I don't enable cruise there's never an error/warning but if I have cruise enabled (doesn't even have to be engaged) it will still trip out after the same minute. A different subject to rain and BA but I'm saying at least the cruise control aspect related to radar isn't constantly on, though perhaps the BA aspect is constantly on then...?

Last edited:
Yeah I doubt there's any issue with your car, just generally interested in radar cruise, ABS, BA, stability control, etc.
Hope you're right :)

Back