• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Awning rail fitting

Simon58

Here for life
Premium Member
North East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Elgrand
E51
Region
North East
I'm looking into fitting a C bar awning rail to the bus but not keen on putting holes in the roof has anyone used a bonding agent or glue to fix the rail to the roof with good results. Heard silka is good , just wondering what people have used . Cheers 😎👍

Lots of car plastics are attached to the car with Tigerseal, think there is a magnetic C channel or one the you can use limpet magnets with.

Found this,

These aren't very good, got one and used limpit magnets on it just looking to attach a C rail so don't have to muck about with things . May have to use sealant/glue and a few self tappers. 🤔😎👍

• @Simon58 - I followed the example of others and used sealant (possibly Sikaflex 512, but not sure) and self tappers to fix my 'C' rail which sits underneath my Drivelodge pop-top when the pop-top is closed. (link)
  • A good sealant will provide a good seal around any self-tappers that you use.
  • Something like Sikaflex 512 might be a better choice if your C rail isn't underneath a pop-top.

Last edited:
  • @Simon58 - I followed the example of others and used sealant (possibly Sikaflex 512, but not sure) and self tappers to fix my 'C' rail which sits underneath my Drivelodge pop-top when the pop-top is closed. (link)
  • A good sealant will provide a good seal around any self-tappers that you use.
  • Something like Sikaflex 512 might be a better choice if your C rail isn't underneath a pop-top.
Cheers mate , that's the way I was heading as after a bit of research it looks like that's what most people do . 😎👍

Cheers mate , that's the way I was heading as after a bit of research it looks like that's what most people do . 😎👍
Can we see some pictures when you do it please 👍👍👍

Wonder if there is a way to attach the C channel to the hooks for the roof rack as this then saves drilling/gluing the C channel to the roof?

tigerseal takes some beating
Not heard of that product before. From the reviewer comments it sounds like a good bit of masking off would be needed to stop it from sticking to places you don't want it on.

I'm looking into fitting a C bar awning rail to the bus but not keen on putting holes in the roof has anyone used a bonding agent or glue to fix the rail to the roof with good results. Heard silka is good , just wondering what people have used . Cheers 😎👍
Was chatting with my father-in-law on a camping trip this weekend and we came with the idea of fitting an awning rail onto an aluminium box and then mounting that on the bottom side of the roof bars using a carriage bolt and nut. Came on here to see if anyone else has tried something like that and saw this thread. Sounds like @diable was having a similar idea.

Was chatting with my father-in-law on a camping trip this weekend and we came with the idea of fitting an awning rail onto an aluminium box and then mounting that on the bottom side of the roof bars using a carriage bolt and nut. Came on here to see if anyone else has tried something like that and saw this thread. Sounds like @diable was having a similar idea.
Been done like this before , also someone put a windout awning onto roof bars,
Just a thought but a windout awning is double gd cus u can use it as a windout awning but also use rail in front to attach a awning when needed

Last edited:
If you have a roof rack then you could attach brackets like this to the roof rack then a C Channel to the bracket maybe even upside down. I was thinking about the people without a roof rack as that saves having to drill or glue the C Channel to the Elgrand.

LfvTPXr.jpg

KEOHMWC.jpg

Do you have any recommendations/pictures of which rail to get? Needs to fit inside my pop top edge... thanks

Do you have any recommendations/pictures of which rail to get? Needs to fit inside my pop top edge... thanks
Take a look at this thread with link to where I got my rails and a bit further down some pics. Fits neatly under pop top and works really well.

John - just what I need! Now to find someone who has stock!

I have searched everywhere for one of those Kampa Dometic rails - everyone is out of stock! If anyone out there knows of anyone who has some - please let me know ! Thanks

I had trouble finding someone who had stock when I bought mine. The link I posted was the only one who had it in stock at the time.
Found this one though which says it's available for back order with delivery normally in 3-5 days. Might be worth checking first though

Or if money's no object

Obviously having a laff!!!

Thanks, John - not in a rush, so I will hold out for the Kampa one - surely someone will get some stock before the summer!

Back