• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Am I insane or brave.

Looks ok .think I'd prefer a better condition E50 myself

You might get this for 4k
Disclaimer I have not looked closely at it but the mot history is not too bad.

I've spent a few weeks going through here, eBay, Autotrader and Facebook market place looking for Elgrands that meet my admittedly low budget for an E51.

I've found one that meets what I'm after in budget. Not my ideal colour or interior but the listing on marketplace is genuine, not one of the scams. Looks to be a mechanic selling it. Probably a trader posing as an individual but he hadn't sold many cars so maybe not. Plus he is the only one to reply to my questions at all.

He sent me a few videos today of things I requested and that plus an ok-ish MOT history seem not too bad. I know if I travel to look I will end up buying and changing it.

So if you had a 4+ hour train journey to meet a Russian mechanic in Ramsgate to buy a car you've only seen in pictures and videos to then complete a 4 hour motorway journey back?

I've done similar in the past for an £800 car during the pandemic. But this is 4 figures and pretty much all my car buying budget at risk as I'm currently careless and driving a borrowed Audi TT after the aforementioned £800 died for good spectacularly just before Xmas.

So am I insane?
Your choice obviously but if I was on a budget , an Elgrand would not be my choice of vehicle, as much as I love mine. Running costs can be pretty mental .

These are the videos I requested and was sent.
They shouldn't be listed/searchable but I can share them.

What I have noticed is that this Elgrand has barely moved in two years, if the miles are actually kilometres then it has basically gone nowhere in 24 months:
Date tested 26 October 2023
Mileage 131,362 miles

Date tested 14 October 2022
Mileage 131,300 miles

Date tested 18 October 2021
Mileage 129,299 miles

You might get this for 4k
Disclaimer I have not looked closely at it but the mot history is not too bad.
Looks reasonable that. Shame about tear on seat

doesn't look to bad but that engine bay is a mess !!!!!!!!
Yeah I thought that. I thought it can't be that bad. My thoughts were surely it must be camera light reflecting weirdly at night. It looks almost like a speckle finish.

What I have noticed is that this Elgrand has barely moved in two years, if the miles are actually kilometres then it has basically gone nowhere in 24 months:
Date tested 26 October 2023
Mileage 131,362 miles

Date tested 14 October 2022
Mileage 131,300 miles

Date tested 18 October 2021
Mileage 129,299 miles
I didn't actually notice that. I was busy looking at advisories and see if any of majors repeated despite passing in between.

I'll be honest there's probably 3 imoort traders I'd buy on off and they're not one
I don't even think they are an import dealer. Just a dealer who gave a really poor trade in to someone needing something smaller/cheaper and not really knowing what they have.

Its all depends on how much you willing to lose or gain on that deal. Overall this engine is solid tank you may have other problems like gearbox etc. Worth considering pay extra get AA cover

Did you see this one?

I can have a look at this for you if you wish
I like the floor in that! Makes the back seats look like they are floating :) late S2 judging by the reg and very low mileage however,

The stated mileage doesn't match the MOT record, it has skipped at least one MOT and a shed load of Advisories on latest......
LN07 GHK
Nissan Elgrand
Check another vehicle

Colour
Black
Fuel type
Petrol
Date registered
1 March 2021
MOT valid until
19 January 2025

Date tested
20 January 2024
PASS
Mileage
82,443 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
8200 3795 4004
Expiry date
19 January 2025
Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Nearside Headlamp lens slightly defective (4.1.1 (b) (i))
Offside Headlamp lens slightly defective (4.1.1 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Front Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))
Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Offside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
Nearside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
What are advisories?
Date tested
21 December 2021
FAIL
Mileage
78,736 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
5250 4363 3122
Repair immediately (major defects):
Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Exhaust carbon monoxide content at idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Front Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))
Play in steering rack inner joint(s)
Offside catalytic converter showing signs of tampering top welded
What are defects and advisories?
Date tested
30 January 2021
PASS
Mileage
75,171 miles
Test location
View test location
MOT test number
3159 7777 1209
Expiry date
29 January 2022

Last edited:
Yeah I thought that. I thought it can't be that bad. My thoughts were surely it must be camera light reflecting weirdly at night. It looks almost like a speckle finish.
Ever the optimist 🤣

Good MOT history, bent tailgate can be replaced for about £600 if you fit it yourself and can find a colour match, mileage is 129000 kms = 81000 miles so OK, personally I would live with it for now.

Seems to be the best of @Holdfast4130's pick tonight 👍

Like WhatsThisFor said, corrosion is the main thing to look for. These generally aren't undersealed as they don't spread salt in Japan. If you've a year or few to go, don't overthink this - get on ground with torch and look at the structural stuff.

MOT history will indicate whether the owner was on top of maintenance (did they wait until those advisories became majors?) and if rust has got really bad.

A 'sniff test' will check for head gasket issues quickly and cheaply. That's generally paying out £3500+ for a (second hand) replacement engine to be fitted.

Walk away from any blue smoke. White smoke on start-up may be water vapour, LPG valve saver being burnt off or... smoke.

Plugging in a code reader (select Nissan Consult II protocol, not OBD2) makes sense. The socket is behind the little coin tray by the driver's right knee.

Get on the ground and check the inside corner of the rear tyres for premature wear - tired rear springs means they'll wear very fast there and you'll get blowouts/have to replace tyres years early.

Always go for a test drive. Should be a quiet engine with no clunks or rattles. Go for cars where the owner talks about bushings etc being replaced... that's an indicator that they're a preventative maintenance kinda person who can afford to spend money on making it right.

It's much less risky buying these cars - no turbo, no direct injection, no having to plug into computers to change parts. Any time-served mechanic will love working on it - go to back-street/independent garages.

Much of the little bits of maintenance like droplinks can be done yourself. If doing work, essentials are a spare 10mm socket or 3 for when you drop it into the engine bay, magnetic pick up tool for fishing out nuts and bolts you've dropped into the engine bay, non-magnetic grabby-pick-up tool for fishing out non-metal parts you've dropped into the engine bay, ramps that don't catch the bumper when you drive up them (used to give you room to get underneath and remove the undertrays so you can retrieve the things you dropped that somehow made it right through the engine bay), cheap angle grinder with decent cutting disk for the bastard droplinks. Small blowtorch for other bastard seized bolts.
With the money saved you can buy tools to do the next job 🤪

Did you see this one?

I can have a look at this for you if you wish
Was after a 3.5 but that looks lovely. I'm it's going to drink the fuel I might as well have the go to go with it but I'll hold it in reserve. Cheers.

Back