• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

4x4 stuck on?!?

Okay, so I took her to the Nissan dealership yesterday to have the scan to put on her to see if there were any issues. She did not come up with a single fault other than clutch plate pressure which was the same fault. The other people had on their computer system as well so I picked their brain, though the Nissan dealership mechanics on what they think it could be so they said it’s either that it’s low on oil. I said no I just filled it up Then they said it could be the little electric motor of the side of the transfer case. Sometimes they get ceased so my partner and I pulled it off this morning and had power go directly to it to check if it was seized. It’s got power to it perfectly fine runs, fine forward and reverse, so it’s looking like it must be the clutch plate inside the transfer case there are two clutch plates inside the transfer case so it must be sleeping so looks like I’m going to need a whole new transfer case fun LOL

When I 'go into the 4wd system' using my X431 scan tool there is an option to set/re-set the preload of the 4x4 clutch.

It might be worth running such procedure to see if it has any effect on your problem before changing the 4x4 box. If the X431 has the option it would be surprising if dealership level tools don't have it but maybe not so surprising that they didn't think to give the procedure a go.

Poor Dory - disappeared with no goodbyes…
Last seen by WeldHog who never divulged his encounter.
I always look in hope on the side of milk cartons, just in case.
🥲

When I 'go into the 4wd system' using my X431 scan tool there is an option to set/re-set the preload of the 4x4 clutch.

It might be worth running such procedure to see if it has any effect on your problem before changing the 4x4 box. If the X431 has the option it would be surprising if dealership level tools don't have it but maybe not so surprising that they didn't think to give the procedure a go.
Well I ended up changing the box and I have exactly the same issue and I know 100% that the transfer case worked in the previous vehicle. I bought it out of as I drove it around, it worked fine in the vehicle I purchased it out of but doesn’t want to work in mine so now I’m starting to think it might be more electrical or computer as now. It doesn’t throw a single code at all when you scan it doesn’t even pick up that the 4WD light is on.

so now I’m thinking more electrical as I know 100%. There’s nothing wrong with the transfer case in it now so I decided to buy the switches out of the Elgrand that I bought the transfer case out of in case there was something wrong with the buttons. no, it still has the same issue so wasn’t the buttons wasn’t the transfer case I’m getting stumped as it’s not throwing a single code if it was the ABS a lot should come up on the dash throwing a code but it’s not my van. Also does have cruise control and wondering if that is playing a factor in it. I also took out the fuse for it to cut power to it to see if that would help but I still have the same issue. Honestly the next thing I’m thinking of trying is putting smaller wheels on it and see if it still has the same issue but doesn’t make any sense. How the guy in Japan is running 31 inch wheels on his and having no issues and he’s 4WD is still working.

Thank you so much for this. I had ABS sensor broken and all lights (VCD, ABS, SLIP, 4WD) went up. I replaced the sensor. Other lights went away when I drove it once, but the 4WD light stayed. This procedure fixed it.
Just to let others to know the VDC, ABS and SLIP light dont come off immediately when you drive your car. I drove her about 30km and then shut the engine off. After a restart the lights where gone (except the 4WD).

Thanks to @Lacabrera

Heh, I bought a scan tool with clearing the same 4x4 error code in mind... Then Lacabrera came up with the (above) way to do it without using any tool, so really I didn't need to buy the scan tool! But it was always going to be useful for other issues and does (has since proven to) clear such 4x4 error codes - A decent compatible scan tool will clear the code, if the garage(s) had such scan tool they would certainly have been able to clear the 4x4 code without knowing the above procedure.
Could you explain please, I can't access the link

This helped me, I tool the Elgrand to a tyre shop and the guy tried to put it in 4x4 whilst on the scissor jack, which is a no no. No tension on the wheels led to the diff not engaging properly and one wheel not spinning which through the 4x4 code. After following this method, it got rid of my 4wd light and all works well now. Lucky and thank you

Back