• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

4x4 stuck on?!?

It's all in the very badly translated Japanese workshop manual, along with many other such procedures. You just have to decipher it.

Thanks to @Lacabrera

Heh, I bought a scan tool with clearing the same 4x4 error code in mind... Then Lacabrera came up with the (above) way to do it without using any tool, so really I didn't need to buy the scan tool! But it was always going to be useful for other issues and does (has since proven to) clear such 4x4 error codes - A decent compatible scan tool will clear the code, if the garage(s) had such scan tool they would certainly have been able to clear the 4x4 code without knowing the above procedure.
Both garages I tried couldn’t clear the fault or even find the fault using their (expensive) scan tools, they obviously didn’t know about the hack & neither charged me for trying. it worked 1st time for me

The '4WD Warning Light Cancellation' instructions above from LeStempy worked for my garage yesterday. Warning light came on prior (as subsequently diagnosed) to needing front nearside wheel bearing replacement. Instructions worked a treat - many thanks !

LeStempy you legend, I could totally kiss you right now! Replaced front wheel bearing (set abs and 4wd light on permanently on dash) got new bearing abs sorted but 4wd stayed on, drove around with OCD hating the fact a light was on on my dash for 4 months, tried acouple mechanic's and they couldn't see any code so couldn't turn it off, tried your method and boom it's gone! Now I can love my car again without OCD nagging at my mind, ohhhh how I have missed my little green light for the wheels in 2wd

I have had the same problem and will try that, thank you. My concern is that is this just hiding an underlying problem with the 4WD system not disengaging.

There are a couple of issues that have come to light on the forum before. One is broken electrical tracks on the valve block that can usually be repaired and the other is corrosion on the electrical connector.

Gearboxplug1.jpeg

Thank you for that input, I just need to find an Elgrand competent mechanic in Sussex :)

Hey guys
Looking at buying a 2002 Elgrand rider.
Going to look at it tomorrow and It seems to have this fault.

Seller has this info on the add

”The Only fault currently with the car is the 4WD is not working…..This is and genuinely only because it needs resetting with the correct scan tool. It came on when the ABS failed which trigged it. New ABS pump fitted and faults cleared for the ABS but If you know these cars the module for the 4WD is separate from all the other Modules and not many readers can re-set them…..I must stress this is the only reason it is on…..I have never used the 4WD nor had a need to use it so has never bother me as it drives perfectly well in 2WD, but if you do want the 4WD you will need to find a garage that can reset it…..Nissan apparently can but my local Nissan didn't really want to know so I didn’t pursue.”

I see someone has kindly put a link to a thread on how to fix this fault.
But with being a new member it won’t let me open the link.
Can anyone post the info for me please.

I don’t want to spam the forum with posts just to unlock the thread.
If I do buy the car/van I will stick around on the forum

Thanks

The solution is further back in this thread.

Apologies I see it now.
Thought I had read it all but must have skipped a bit.

Mine is having the same issue, but I never got an ABS light come up. I had it in 4WD and all the lights were on then turned it off and it went off. The lights went down to 2 lights for a little bit then all of a sudden the four lights came back on and was like it for a bit tried to press it back to 2WD and nothing happened Then all of a sudden all the lights went out and I got the 4WD orange warning light with an error code on the screen just showing take it to your nearest mechanic soon as possible definitely feels as though it’s stuck in four-wheel-drive it’s definitely pulling more from the front. When this occurred I was towing a trailer with a quad bike in it so a bit more strain on the engine and system however though, even once this warning light came on it drove fine drove it 40 minutes home with it like this towing a trailer with it stuck in four-wheel-drive have to say though, it did toe the trailer home better in 4WD, then into wheel drive on the way out.

I tried this and it works for a little bit can press the button and put it back into two wheel drive dries for a little bit and then brings the error code back up straight away and it stuck in four-wheel-drive once again. The only thing that it doesn’t do when I go through all the steps is that where it says the four-wheel-drive yellow warning light should blink on and off doesn’t do that but once I’ve finished it all and turn the car on and off the warning, orange light turns off And gives me the usual 4WD green lights It’s on 4WD when turns the car back on and when I press it to 2WD takes a little bit for it to disengage and drive around for a little bit and then it will go into two wheel drive eventually drive about three minutes then the Eire comes back up

Hello all trying to reset my 4x4 but need to post 10 messages for the answer. Any help ? Big thanks

Now i have to wait until tomorrow, ahhh going on holiday tonight, had abs sensors changed but 4x4 light wont go out . Help

Now i have to wait until tomorrow, ahhh going on holiday tonight, had abs sensors changed but 4x4 light wont go out . Help

Attachments

• 4WD Warning Light cancellation.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 15
Hello all trying to reset my 4x4 but need to post 10 messages for the answer. Any help ? Big thanks. Sorry about this 🙈
1WD Warning Light Cancellation

1. Start the engine and warm up to operating temperature
  2. Switch off the engine then turn the key on and off two times
  3. Make sure the gear select lever is in Park
  4. Press the Auto button
  5. Turn the ignition on but don't start the engine
  6. Check that the 4WD warning light is on
  7. Move the gear select lever to Reverse
  8. Push Auto, 2WD, Auto, 2WD, Auto
  9. Move the gear select lever to Drive
  10. Push Auto, Lock, Auto, Lock, Auto
  11. Move the gear select lever to Neutral
  12. Move the Gear select lever to park
  13. Check that the 4WD warning light flashes
  14. Turn the ignition off.

The 4WD warning light should now go out next time the ignition is turned on.

1WD Warning Light Cancellation

1. Start the engine and warm up to operating temperature
  2. Switch off the engine then turn the key on and off two times
  3. Make sure the gear select lever is in Park
  4. Press the Auto button
  5. Turn the ignition on but don't start the engine
  6. Check that the 4WD warning light is on
  7. Move the gear select lever to Reverse
  8. Push Auto, 2WD, Auto, 2WD, Auto
  9. Move the gear select lever to Drive
  10. Push Auto, Lock, Auto, Lock, Auto
  11. Move the gear select lever to Neutral
  12. Move the Gear select lever to park
  13. Check that the 4WD warning light flashes
  14. Turn the ignition off.

The 4WD warning light should now go out next time the ignition is turned on.
I have done this on mine and it works to remove the code but however comes back for me as mine still has an issue. Had the Nisan dealership put the tool on it and it comes up with no electrical faults so it’s mechanical most likely the little motor on the transfer case on the side is not engaging. That’s my Nextep to see if it’s getting power. Or it is seized.

Okay, so I took her to the Nissan dealership yesterday to have the scan to put on her to see if there were any issues. She did not come up with a single fault other than clutch plate pressure which was the same fault. The other people had on their computer system as well so I picked their brain, though the Nissan dealership mechanics on what they think it could be so they said it’s either that it’s low on oil. I said no I just filled it up Then they said it could be the little electric motor of the side of the transfer case. Sometimes they get ceased so my partner and I pulled it off this morning and had power go directly to it to check if it was seized. It’s got power to it perfectly fine runs, fine forward and reverse, so it’s looking like it must be the clutch plate inside the transfer case there are two clutch plates inside the transfer case so it must be sleeping so looks like I’m going to need a whole new transfer case fun LOL

I know these are not the same as Land Rovers but it’s very common for their four wheel selectors to seize up as they never get used so it is good practice (if you have a LR) to occasionally operate everything.
Now I have an Ellie I carry On that habit, when On a bit of grass or gravel, selecting 4 wheel drive and lock.
I also open rear windows a couple of times a month and play a CD now and again for same reason. Use it or lose it I reckon.

Back