• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

ZX1 ExtraLube

I’m kind of in the camp of using good quality oil in the first place and change it more often if you are concerned. I do buy into the use of fuel additives IF you run on cheaper supermarket fuels, if you use the likes of shell VPower then no real need for fuel additives as Shell do all the work and thinking for you……for a price per litre of course.

This is from their website.

This will answer some of your questions if you go on there site there’s lots more.

CAN ZX1 HELP THE FUEL ECONOMY AND REDUCE EXHAUST EMISSIONS?

"Yes it can, ZX1 Extralube Micro Oil Metal Treatment is a Friction Eliminator that makes engines work more efficiently this leads to less carbon exhaust emissions and so reduces your carbon footprint.

It is designed to form an extremely hard wearing substrate film which has no perceivable measurable thickness and will not build on itself to compromise design tolerances, because ZX1 is totally non particulate it can be used universally in all systems, it does not mix with the engine oil, but simply uses it as a carrier to find the wearing metal surfaces.

It is this technology that reduces friction in the engine thus the oil does not have to work so hard which ultimately results in reduced carbon exhaust emissions. Many of our customers use Extralube ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment purely for this benefit.

In 1992 when our company was formed the prime function of Extralube ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment was to provide a friction eliminator as an effective lubricating medium to cope with the demands of engineering in the 20th Century and improve component life.

It soon became apparent that this reduced friction in engines and transmissions increased the mpg, some quite considerably; this endorsement is echoed by our many customers who are now buying ZX1 Micro Oil Metal Treatment for this reason alone.

HOW WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I USE ZX1 MICRO OIL IN MY AUTOMATIC?

If you vehicle is post 1970 then go ahead and treat, your vehicle has a modern transmission therefore you can treat it with a 2.5% ratio of ZX1Micro Oil to transmission fluid, if the transmission fluid capacity is very large and 2.5% works out to be more than 175 ml, use only 175 ml which will be sufficient to treat the internal metal components. If your vehicle is dated before 1970 please check if it has any metal to metal plates requiring friction.

CAN I ADD ZX1 MICRO OIL TO MY FUEL AS A TREATMENT?

How do I use ZX1 in my fuel tank. To enhance upper cylinder lubrication and help reduce harmful emissions we suggest the following: initial treatment add 10ml per 10 litres of fuel. Add ZX1 then fill up with fuel. Make subsequent treatments at 1000 mile intervals using 5ml per 10 litres of fuel, this is only a suggestion you might feel that your engine would benefit from treatment at shorter intervals, of course any excess will benefit the exhaust system by smoothing the internal surfaces helping exhaust gases to dissipate quicker.

IS ZX1 MICRO OIL SAFE TO USE IN MY WET CLUTCH?

ZX1 Micro Oil is purely a metal treatment and will not affect the composite fibre of the clutch plate, go ahead and treat your motorbike.

HOW MUCH ZX1 MICRO OIL TREATMENT DO I NEED TO USE IN MY POWER STEERING?

If you put approximately 20 ml of EXTRALUBE ZX1 in your steering fluid it will help the power steering pump.

WILL AN ENGINE FLUSH REMOVE THE ZX1 MICRO OIL?

Once ZX1 Micro Oil has impregnated and bonded into the metal it has to be worn away, an engine flush will not remove it.

How much do you add to diff and coolant? Do you add 250 ml to the trans fluid,too?
You only need small amounts.

Differential 20 mL

Coolant 15 mL

Automatic transmission maximum 175 mL

Engine 300 mL

Petrol 10ml per 10 litres of fuel.

Make subsequent treatments at 1000 mile intervals using 5ml per 10 litres of fuel

I would not use any other product other than ZX1 Only because I've done my research on this product and I know it's good And having 25 years experience with it I'm happy you paid your money And make your choice.
But don't forget this is not a oil additive it does not modify the oil at all is just the carrier.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing Andy's great results but in the interest of balanced discussion I would raise the point that something doesn't have to mix with oil to effectively change its properties and sometimes too much lubrication can be a bad thing. Water doesn't stay mixed with oil but I wouldn't want the purest distilled water in oil even though it doesn't change the actual oil's properties... If you pour 100ml of water into 100ml of oil you end up with 200ml, take half of that and you have the same quantity you started with (100ml) and you can argue that the oil component and the water component are both unchanged but you can't argue that the overall properties have been changed, the overall properties of both have undeniably been changed simply by the presence of each other in the mixture.... You changed the stuff because you changed the stuff. You probably wouldn't want to drink half water half additive and you wouldn't half water in oil to be very good for the engine either, I wouldn't want to drink a 99% water 1% additive mix. Too much lube on piston rings can cause cylinder glazing, there are reasons why manufacturers specify automatic transmission fluids with certain lubrication, viscocity and friction properties. A lot of todays additives were first invented in the early days of vehicles like in the 1920s or 30s and can give some advantages some disadvantages. If the disadvantages are very negligible then to me it raises the question why such additives haven't been present in the oils, antifreeze and coolants that vehicle manufacturers have advised since the invention of vehicles and additives.

Also, although engines still suck, squeeze, bang and blow in the same way they did decades ago, the materials they are made from have changed considerably, for the better.

Back