• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Zorsts.....What you got? Where did you get it? How much did you pay? What do you think?....bonus points for sound clips🏆

Holdfast4130

Premium Member
South East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
It's a topic that's been done to death I know, but I'm hoping this post can collectively compile a list of zorst systems, their manufacturers and what they cost. I'm actively looking at a full Manifold back system but the prices are all over the place. I'm based in Hampshire, but I'll travel for the right one if need be. Hopefully some of you can help/review your purchases.

Cheers all 👍🏻

i had mine done at Colistons in Cowplain manifold back secondary cats removed fronts 400 cell all stainless lifetime guarantee for £1250 they are a powerflow outlet but half the price of Southampton

Firstly, hi.

Secondly, what is a Zorst?

p.s they have done a few owners on here

i had mine done at Colistons in Cowplain manifold back secondary cats removed fronts 400 cell all stainless lifetime guarantee for £1250 they are a powerflow outlet but half the price of Southampton
I've seen your post on here. I'm in Petersfield, and this was my first port of call. It does look like a cracking job. I'm wondering if I can get away with 200 cell cats and still pass emissions (a question I'll ask)?

I've seen your post on here. I'm in Petersfield, and this was my first port of call. It does look like a cracking job. I'm wondering if I can get away with 200 cell cats and still pass emissions (a question I'll ask)?
How long did they take to fabricate it?

My white E51 has a standard Rider exhaust system with all 4 cats decored. It is the quietest of my 3 E51's exhausts.

My black one has standard front downpipes but with cats decored, everything rear of the front downpipes is a Tony Banks system (no rear cats). It is louder than my white one, rattles a bit at certain RPMs and I think it's a bit more restrictive than the standard exhaust because it feels a little bit slower than my other 2 Elgrands (and relatively slow compared to the average Elgrand out of the well over one thousand Elgrands I have driven...). That probably shouldn't come as a surprise though because the mid box is smaller than the standard system. I bought standard rear cat sections and a standard midbox to rearbox section so I can put the exhaust back to standard (although still with all cats decored). I didn't buy the Tony Banks bits they were on it when I bought it (and as said I plan to take them off to put back to standard).

My silver one has an aftermarket stainless system. By far the noisiest of the 3. Too noisy. Again on it when I bought it.

I see a lot of exhausts on a lot of Elgrands. I've seen more than a few aftermarket stainless front pipe/front cat setups that are not a great fit, touching the rear plastic undertray. They look nice and shiny though, at least to the mechanic who does the MOT and lifts the car up... but nobody else is going to see the nice shiny bits, not even the owner unless the owner gets under the car. Years ago a stainless exhaust could be a good buy for an owner who intended on keeping a car for a few years because standard exhausts rusted out in a couple of years but these days it would normally be a false economy to replace an exhaust with a stainless exhaust because the standard exhaust will last many years anyway, and if it ever breaks fit another standard exhaust from an Elgrand breaker. A slightly different situation when it comes to Elgrand exhausts than most vehicle exhausts because the standard E51 exhaust has front cats that are known to fail and damage the engine. But a standard exhaust that's had cats decored doesn't have any cats at all so cats will never fail or damage the engine, while stainless cats will fail at some point in future though probably won't damage the engine when they do fail. Then there's emissions, an E51 running on petrol will need some cats to pass an MOT, they always seem to pass if just rear cats are decored (if front cats are in place and working), some seem to pass if front cats are decored but rear cats are in place and working. They all pass if running on LPG because a vehicle running on LPG doesn't need any cats to be fitted to pass an MOT, the emissions test for LPG converted vehicles is less stringent while at the same time emissions when running on LPG are lower than what they would be running on petrol anyway - a double whammy. I haven't (and wouldn't) spend any money on aftermarket exhaust bits myself, instead I just remove and refit the standard exhaust after decoring it's cats... But I can do that because my Elgrands are LPG converted.

Last edited:
Hi Chris they should be able to do it in a day he is getting quicker as for 200 cats probably not worth it unless you intend to race it i asked about 300 and was told the only real difference was cost so went for 400 as that is what the originals wear

IMG_3525.jpeg
I got this one, with four smoking guns.

What is it - don’t know
How much was it - don’t know
Is it loud - yes sounds a bit like my old Impreza
Is it pretty - yes
Has it got cats - no
Is it stainless - yes
Can it take a beating from speed bumps - yes
How long is it - front cats back
Do I polish it - yes
Do I clean the inner tips with wire wool - yes
Does it give me more power - yes, 87BHP above stnd
Do I love it - yes often 💞
Do I rev it up at RetailPark meets - Yes
Can it blow up a triple flock 2 person delux airbed - yes
Will it blow up Lotty - yes

Any more question please ask.

View attachment 95351
I got this one, with four smoking guns.

What is it - don’t know
How much was it - don’t know
Is it loud - yes sounds a bit like my old Impreza
Is it pretty - yes
Has it got cats - no
Is it stainless - yes
Can it take a beating from speed bumps - yes
How long is it - front cats back
Do I polish it - yes
Do I clean the inner tips with wire wool - yes
Does it give me more power - yes, 87BHP above stnd
Do I love it - yes often 💞
Do I rev it up at RetailPark meets - Yes
Can it blow up a triple flock 2 person delux airbed - yes
Will it blow up Lotty - yes

Any more question please ask.
That is an absolute beaut!

Hi Chris they should be able to do it in a day he is getting quicker as for 200 cats probably not worth it unless you intend to race it i asked about 300 and was told the only real difference was cost so went for 400 as that is what the originals wear
I've booked an appointment with them tomorrow. Apparently, they're not fans of fabbing up Elgrand exhausts. Seems you have to be a special sort to want to work on these buses.

My white E51 has a standard Rider exhaust system with all 4 cats decored. It is the quietest of my 3 E51's exhausts.

My black one has standard front downpipes but with cats decored, everything rear of the front downpipes is a Tony Banks system (no rear cats). It is louder than my white one, rattles a bit at certain RPMs and I think it's a bit more restrictive than the standard exhaust because it feels a little bit slower than my other 2 Elgrands. That probably shouldn't come as a surprise though because the mid box is smaller than the standard system. I bought standard rear cat sections and a standard midbox to rearbox section so I can put the exhaust back to standard (although still with all cats decored). I didn't buy the Tony Banks bits they were on it when I bought it (and as said I plan to take them off to put back to standard).

My silver one has an aftermarket stainless system. By far the noisiest of the 3. Too noisy.

I see a lot of exhausts on a lot of Elgrands. I've seen more than a few aftermarket stainless front pipe/front cat setups that are not a great fit, touching the rear plastic undertray. They look nice and shiny though, at least to the mechanic who does the MOT and lifts the car up... but nobody else is going to see the nice shiny bits, not even the owner unless the owner gets under the car. Years ago a stainless exhaust could be a good buy for an owner who intended on keeping a car for a few years because standard exhausts rusted out in a couple of years but these days it would normally be a false economy to replace an exhaust with a stainless exhaust because the standard exhaust will last many years anyway, and if it ever breaks fit another standard exhaust from an Elgrand breaker. A slightly different situation when it comes to Elgrand exhausts than most vehicle exhausts because the standard E51 exhaust has front cats that are known to fail and damage the engine. But a standard exhaust that's had cats decored doesn't have any cats at all so cats will never fail or damage the engine, while stainless cats will fail at some point in future though probably won't damage the engine when they do fail. Then there's emissions, an E51 running on petrol will need some cats to pass an MOT, they always seem to pass if just rear cats are decored (if front cats are in place and working), some seem to pass if front cats are decored but rear cats are in place and working. They all pass if running on LPG because a vehicle running on LPG doesn't need any cats to be fitted to pass an MOT, the emissions test for LPG converted vehicles is less stringent while at the same time emissions when running on LPG are lower than what they would be running on petrol anyway - a double whammy. I haven't (and wouldn't) spend any money on aftermarket exhaust bits myself, instead I just remove and refit the standard exhaust after decoring it's cats... But I can do that because my Elgrands are LPG converted.
I get the factor of it being unseen "bling". In all honesty, if mine didn't look like abandoned scaffold, I'd try and save it. The main appeal of stainless is the lifetime warranty and slight weight reduction. I'd be keen on having it LPG converted, but the nearest stockist is 20 miles away. After that it's 30 miles.... Decoring the primary cats is going to cost me 300 quid, a new mid box and back box at least 500. For another 200, I can get a complete unit made up.

I get the factor of it being unseen "bling". In all honesty, if mine didn't look like abandoned scaffold, I'd try and save it. The main appeal of stainless is the lifetime warranty and slight weight reduction. I'd be keen on having it LPG converted, but the nearest stockist is 20 miles away. After that it's 30 miles.... Decoring the primary cats is going to cost me 300 quid, a new mid box and back box at least 500. For another 200, I can get a complete unit made up.
No argument if you fancy a new stainless setup.
Do you need a new mid-box and back box? Only £700 for a complete stainless exhaust supplied and fitted?

Back