• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

What petrol should I put in my Elgrand?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
For the petrol variants of the E50, and for E51/52 owners, this question comes up a lot!

There has been a LOT of debate about this on Facebook, and not just in Elgrand groups, but other Japanese Import groups.

The handbook stipulates that for the VG33/VQ25 you need 95ron fuel (this is standard unleaded in the UK). For the VQ35 you need 97ron fuel (super unleaded).

In my honest opinion, I do not know enough about the subject to really advice much, so please feel free to discuss within this thread.

My personal recommendation though is not to run ANY petrol Elgrand engine on anything LESS than 97ron fuel, and to try and get 99ron as often as possible (Tesco Momentum).

The RON rating of the fuel doesn't give more/less power, but it dictates how the fuel behaves under pressure.

A 95 RON fuel is more likely to PRE-DETONATE (ie explode before it's meant to) when exposed to compression / heat. This means you get what is known as "knocking". The premature detonation of the fuel works AGAINST the flow of the pistons in the engine and can cause internal damage.

A 99 RON fuel is more likely to make it to the "spark" before it ignites, which removes the potential for causing damage.

These engines have a "knock sensor" build in which detects these kids of issues. If it detects a knock, it will reduce the flow of fuel which will reduce power from the engine. This may not be to a point that is noticeable, but you could end up with an EML light due to this, or more serious damage if ignored.

UPDATE

Thanks to the screenshot shared below, and @Alan Morgan for pointing out the small print, it would appear that Regular Unleaded will be fine in your VQ35 engine (3.5 V6).

As you can see, there are comments showing what the Regular/Premium unleaded RON rating is in both Japan and UK, and also a caveat to show that regular unleaded is fine to use if premium is not available. As this is talking about Japanese fuel, that would drop as low as 89 RON. Meaning that UK regular unleaded being 95 RON is safe to use without concern.

temp-jpg.5537

Last edited:
Knock sensor doesn’t protect at high load or high rpm apparently. Run on super or budget for repairs unless you drive like a chauffeur in which case sell your 3.5 to a 2.5 owner and feed that regular as it’s fine on it. ;)

Well on advice from Brain @ BMR I use normal unleaded and have no issues at all. My selling dealer WRM also said the same and they run their own personal Elgrands too. Swings and roundabouts guys.

Just sharing what the handbook says @Brendan1969 - VQ35 should be 97. I use 99 to be safe, but it is all subjective and you can obviously put whatever fuel in you are happy with :)

Have only put in regular so far. Wasn´t aware that the 3.5 was a high compression engine. Guess I will splash out and spend the extra pennies from now on. :p

Everybody will make their own decisions based on their own knowledge & past experiences etc - the same as the oil debate :eek:

As I know bugger all about engines , I use premium unleaded as mentioned in the handbook, with personal choice being Tesco momentum 99. Keeps the wife happy with her clubcard points & as I never go shopping I don't have to fill it up :)

1528136059021.png

Blimey, I'm glad I'm on LPG - these debates always make me over-think as to should I /shouldn't.

When I first bought my Honda Accord Diesel, the Accord specific forum said quite convincingly to avoid cheep supermarket diesel and to change the fuel filter every so many 000's of miles. I ignored both pieces of 'advice' and that was 85,000 miles ago and no fuel filter change either. The engine is still good at 190,000 (although other items are falling off :eek:).

You just have to go with what ever keeps you feeling comfortable.

Oh yeh, and the oil I use is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;)

Blimey, I'm glad I'm on LPG - these debates always make me over-think as to should I /shouldn't.

When I first bought my Honda Accord Diesel, the Accord specific forum said quite convincingly to avoid cheep supermarket diesel and to change the fuel filter every so many 000's of miles. I ignored both pieces of 'advice' and that was 85,000 miles ago and no fuel filter change either. The engine is still good at 190,000 (although other items are falling off :eek:).

Yes Alan but are you using premium or super LPG?!!

I've tried 95, 97 & 99, TBH I couldn't tell the difference but that was just to test things, I want to be sure my motor lasts so I only use Tesco momentum unless I'm caught short.

Better petrol = more timing advance = More power
It takes the ECU a while to learn it , a few flat out runs up a hill helps :)
I only use 98 /99 and the VQ35DE loves it , Ella thinks shes a sports car :D

No harm will come from running on higher Ron fuel or top quality oil, neither add much to the overall cost of running an e51. Why skimp? Best practice and best value for money aren’t always the same thing.

Nothing but tesco momentum or at a push shell V power...

I must admit I did run on 95 when I first got her but after recent debates and what's stated in the official handbook I won't anymore (unless emergency)

Just sharing what the handbook says @Brendan1969 - VQ35 should be 97. I use 99 to be safe, but it is all subjective and you can obviously put whatever fuel in you are happy with :)
I'm just sharing what ive been told by Elgrand experts as I initially asked the very same question myself.

Its all a big conn mate to get folk to spend more money. The bloody oil companies are the worse offenders IMHOP. Not yet another debate:sob::sob::sob: still trying to get over reading the Aldi polish one from last week:p:p:p:p:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Last edited:
There is no debate to go on about it. @Phil has provided an exert from the handbook, so it's free for you all to interpret how you feel is best.

All I can do is advise based on my own findings and preferences, ultimately the decision lies with you guys :)

Once a month( pay day) I splash out on a tank full of premium fuel, then it’s unleaded all the way ..daisey likes to get spoilt every now n then

Just to test the theory out I filled mine up today with Shell V Power instead of normal unleaded. £1.41 a bloody litre though:joy:

Just want to correct a few misconceptions regarding Elgrand VQ35de....

Facts:
Handbook states use premium unleaded.
Fuel filler cap label states use premium unleaded.
In Japan high octane or premium unleaded refers to 96 RON, while regular unleaded is around 92 RON.

Well on advice from Brain @ BMR I use normal unleaded and have no issues at all. My selling dealer WRM also said the same and they run their own personal Elgrands too. Swings and roundabouts guys.

Brian is absolutely correct. He can also explain the technical details. The VQ35 in the Elgrand is low compression and has a different inlet manifold compared to the VQ35 used in the Fairlady (350Z to us). 95 RON fuel is fine. I also run mine on 95 and get 18 mpg around town, 26 mpg long run. No issues in the 0-60 time.

If you run 4 cats do NOT use fuel rated over 96 RON (including LPG) as it will accelerate cat deterioration, particularly if the engine over fueling recall had not been performed.

Back