• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Waxoyl - clear or black?

Charlie Fowler

Premium Member
London
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
London
I've booked my soon-to-be-aquired E51 in with Adrian @Winchester for a proper underseal session (and cats) and we have been discussing whether to go for black or clear.
Of course Adrian is happy to use either product but favours black (aesthetically). However, I think I might prefer clear in order to not obliterate the underside completely - the car is almost pristine underneath and it seems a shame to cover it. I understand that "clear" Waxoyl is not exactly clear but I hope that it might at least be clear enough to view the condition of the metal it is sprayed on.
Does anyone have photos of how the clear version looks in situ?
What Waxoyl do other forum members favour?

Happy Easter to you all.

Charlie

Black for me.
Also, you can mix in 10% or so of waxoil underseal so when it dries off, it’s more resistant to wear. In cavities tho, you want it normal and thinned with white spirit or similar so it definitely goes in nooks and crannies.

Black for me.
Also, you can mix in 10% or so of waxoil underseal so when it dries off, it’s more resistant to wear. In cavities tho, you want it normal and thinned with white spirit or similar so it definitely goes in nooks and crannies.
Thank you, Neville. I appreciate the advice very much.

Reactions: guf
Personally I prefer clear so you can see what's going on underneath the film, although the advantage of black is that you can see if any areas have been missed. Waxoyl can be expensive/old tech and there are other products available.

Thank you, Cato - yes, I’d like to see what would normally be hidden by the black. And of course I’m completely confident that Adrian will be absolutely thorough with his work.
Have a great weekend
Charlie

I really appreciate all this input and I must say the black looks good. I may yet be swayed!

Thank you all for taking the time to post photos. Have a great Easter Sunday.

If only dealers did it as standard, I've had two recently say its not needed as they are the same as UK..I'm guessing if you only drove in the summer they may be right.....

I like the black and if it gets damaged you will see.

If only dealers did it as standard, I've had two recently say its not needed as they are the same as UK..I'm guessing if you only drove in the summer they may be right.....

I like the black and if it gets damaged you will see.
if a dealer says that they don’t have a clue what they are talking about, so walk away and go to a dealer who knows what they are talking about , u will pay more at purchase but save more over time ,

Back