• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Tow bar - fixed or detachable?

Dawny

Premium Member
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Dawn
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
South East
I’ve had a look through past posts and I’m trying to find the best Towbar for my bus. I have a 2009 E51 and I’ve just bought an old trailer tent to take the fambo on some camping trips this summer. Now….. what is the best Towbar to get? I kind of think they are ugly and wondering if you can get a detachable one that’s still reliable or am I best with a permanently fitted one? Also any recommendations for anyone close to Chichester that is able to fit it?
Thanks for any help and advice 🥰

I’ve had a look through past posts and I’m trying to find the best Towbar for my bus. I have a 2009 E51 and I’ve just bought an old trailer tent to take the fambo on some camping trips this summer. Now….. what is the best Towbar to get? I kind of think they are ugly and wondering if you can get a detachable one that’s still reliable or am I best with a permanently fitted one? Also any recommendations for anyone close to Chichester that is able to fit it?
Thanks for any help and advice 🥰
Freespirit Campers will probably fit it....I saw one on one of the FB pages today......

I’ve just fitted a Towtrust fixed towbar, I quite like the fact that I can’t easily damage the back end when reversing. I bought it from eBay at £193 delivered including a 7 pin socket. Took me about 3 hours to fit it, due mainly to breaking drill bits…. But not that bad a job to do. I know most won’t consider fitting one themselves but to me it was worth it to save the money and know it’s done right. I’m not sure of the cost of one fitted by a fitter, depends on who does it. Quality was fine, very heavy duty, and everything was included. Recommend fitting one before getting LPG fitted as it will be a proper pita afterwards due to having to drill 2 holes in the near side chassis rail. The wiring takes almost as long as the actual towbar itself.

I’ve just fitted a Towtrust fixed towbar, I quite like the fact that I can’t easily damage the back end when reversing. I bought it from eBay at £193 delivered including a 7 pin socket. Took me about 3 hours to fit it, due mainly to breaking drill bits…. But not that bad a job to do. I know most won’t consider fitting one themselves but to me it was worth it to save the money and know it’s done right. I’m not sure of the cost of one fitted by a fitter, depends on who does it. Quality was fine, very heavy duty, and everything was included. Recommend fitting one before getting LPG fitted as it will be a proper pita afterwards due to having to drill 2 holes in the near side chassis rail. The wiring takes almost as long as the actual towbar itself.
Thanks. I won’t be fitting it myself I really have no clue and no tools!🤷🏻‍♀️ I also won’t be getting LPG as nowhere round here to fill up so completely pointless for me. Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the towtrust bar though 👍🏻

Thanks. I won’t be fitting it myself I really have no clue and no tools!🤷🏻‍♀️ I also won’t be getting LPG as nowhere round here to fill up so completely pointless for me. Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at the towtrust bar though 👍🏻
I fitted a towbar from Watling, no drilling required.

It was a bit heavy and awkward but yes it was ok, removed the spare tyre carrier as I had a gas tank installed afterwards, got to do the wiring, waiting for the rain to bugger off lol

Last edited:
Back