• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Interesting car write-off story (not Elgrand related!)

I was chatting with my brother in law who is a car insurance loss adjuster. Apparently they are having to wrote off loads of Mercedes after even low speed bumps, as the bumper-mounted radar units can't currently be replaced. Most mercs (like most modern cars) have these radar units. Not sure if they are made in Ukraine, or supply issues, but if the bumper is damaged the whole car has to be written off as Mercedes don't have any stock! They are having to wrote off £70k cars for a £200 part!!
Difficult to believe a £70k car would be written off for lack of availability of a £200 part.
If true it begs the question why it has to be so black or white... What's to stop the insurance co offering the owner some sort of deal in which they buy the damaged car without writing it off and mothball it in lue of some (Chinese?) firm seeing the glaring gap in the market and producing the missing part, at which point the car can easily be fixed and the car sold on. If I were running an insurance co and it seemed there were no way of avoiding labelling the car a write off if my firm bought it I'd be looking into ways of involving a 3rd party who would buy the car instead of my firm, thus avoiding the write-off label/status.

Indeed. I just had my Elgrand written off. Very minor damage, in fact I was still driving it after some temporary repairs. Just needed a new sliding door and a window replaced. Cost me about £250 in second hand parts. After buying back the Elgrand I had a cheque for over £4,000, leaving me plenty of change. There has to be something seriously wrong with the insurance industry if this is possible.
How much did it cost u to buy back

Difficult to believe a £70k car would be written off for lack of availability of a £200 part.
If true it begs the question why it has to be so black or white... What's to stop the insurance co offering the owner some sort of deal in which they buy the damaged car without writing it off and mothball it in lue of some (Chinese?) firm seeing the glaring gap in the market and producing the missing part, at which point the car can easily be fixed and the car sold on. If I were running an insurance co and it seemed there were no way of avoiding labelling the car a write off if my firm bought it I'd be looking into ways of involving a 3rd party who would buy the car instead of my firm, thus avoiding the write-off label/status.
Sorry, I have no idea!! Apparently the salvage firms are loving it though!!

Ian, how did you get on with re-insurance - did you have to get an engineering report of some sort and was the insurance more expensive after making a claim?

I think it depends. For a cat N write off which mine was a new MOT suffices. As mine was merely minor cosmetic damage, they did mot cancel the insurance straight away, but gave me a little leeway to get repairs and MOT sorted out and still use the vehicle. So this means the insurance was continuous and will lapse on the renewal date as it would have done had I not had the accident.

Can anyone else see what's coming here .

The low life will switch from stealing catalitic converters and will be taking Radar units.

High value cars bought for scrap and placed back on the road under a cat N - using a stolen radar box from Dave for £50.

Can anyone else see what's coming here .

The low life will switch from stealing catalitic converters and will be taking Radar units.

High value cars bought for scrap and placed back on the road under a cat N - using a stolen radar box from Dave for £50.
I don't think it's as easy as that luckily - the system can probably only be reset by a main dealer. I'm on the Audi Etron forum and a guy bought a crashed written off one with the thought that he could repair and put it back on the road. It ended up costing him way more than he thought as none of the EV drivechain parts can be activated unless you have dealer level access to the car systems. Only Audi can fix them and make the car work properly even if you buy everything.

Back
Top Bottom