• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Interesting car write-off story (not Elgrand related!)

Tim C

Here for life
Premium Member
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Elgrand
E51
I was chatting with my brother in law who is a car insurance loss adjuster. Apparently they are having to wrote off loads of Mercedes after even low speed bumps, as the bumper-mounted radar units can't currently be replaced. Most mercs (like most modern cars) have these radar units. Not sure if they are made in Ukraine, or supply issues, but if the bumper is damaged the whole car has to be written off as Mercedes don't have any stock! They are having to wrote off £70k cars for a £200 part!!

Apparently salvage companies are making a killing buying them and selling almost brand new parts!!

Great if it's not a year old as most insurance co‘s just give you a new car I believe if you have GAP insurance. Different matter if its over a year old then its the hassle involved in either negotiating a price / value , repairing it , or getting a similar age / model.

I was chatting with my brother in law who is a car insurance loss adjuster. Apparently they are having to wrote off loads of Mercedes after even low speed bumps, as the bumper-mounted radar units can't currently be replaced. Most mercs (like most modern cars) have these radar units. Not sure if they are made in Ukraine, or supply issues, but if the bumper is damaged the whole car has to be written off as Mercedes don't have any stock! They are having to wrote off £70k cars for a £200 part!!
So why not replace the bumper and put the radar unit on backorder? Do the radar units get irretrievably damaged in all shunts or are they fully integrated into the bumper. In any case looks like a few bargain Mercs or radar units are up for grabs!

So why not replace the bumper and put the radar unit on backorder? Do the radar units get irretrievably damaged in all shunts or are they fully integrated into the bumper. In any case looks like a few bargain Mercs or radar units are up for grabs!
It's because without the radar the inbuilt (and now mandatory) automatic crash prevention systems won't work. Lots of dash warnings and an instant MOT fail. The cars can't be put back on the road without the system working.

It's because without the radar the inbuilt (and now mandatory) automatic crash prevention systems won't work. Lots of dash warnings and an instant MOT fail. The cars can't be put back on the road without the system working.
Mandatory Safety Systems pah... nanny state more like. My works car has "lane assist", I switched it off each time I got in it this week, doesn't work properly and properly sh!ts you up in icy conditions as it tries to make you "tow the line"!

I would assume so?! I assume the insurance companies can't fit second hand parts.
Not even if it was the original unit...
There is a complete lack of common sense and fear of liability these days!

The new systems are amazing though. My Audi automatically stopped me rear ending a transit van the other day by both braking and steering. I didn't notice it suddenly stopping as I was too busy sorting my music playlist on one of my touchscreens ....! At least I know it works! And to keep my eyes on the road!!

True, but you can buy back and fit S/Hand parts.. win/win?
Indeed. I just had my Elgrand written off. Very minor damage, in fact I was still driving it after some temporary repairs. Just needed a new sliding door and a window replaced. Cost me about £250 in second hand parts. After buying back the Elgrand I had a cheque for over £4,000, leaving me plenty of change. There has to be something seriously wrong with the insurance industry if this is possible.

I wonder if Mercedes are in breach of the new "right to repair" legislation. All manufacturers are legally required to have all parts available for at least ten years after said item is discontinued, and I expect that applies to cars as well as washing machines.

I wonder if Mercedes are in breach of the new "right to repair" legislation. All manufacturers are legally required to have all parts available for at least ten years after said item is discontinued, and I expect that applies to cars as well as washing machines.
I think the 'chip shortage' and the fact a large number of car parts are actually made in Ukraine (apparently!) means there isn't much they can do about it I suppose Unfortunately if your car is written off at the moment you won't get another new car for at least a year anyway as they are all pre-sold for months to come!

I would assume so?! I assume the insurance companies can't fit second hand parts.
Not even if it was the original unit...
There is a complete lack of common sense and fear of liability these days!
I wonder if Mercedes are in breach of the new "right to repair" legislation. All manufacturers are legally required to have all parts available for at least ten years after said item is discontinued, and I expect that applies to cars as well as washing machines
"Right to repair" cannot be be defended by "cannot get the parts", this breaches their obligation to supply spares. Don't suppose anyone foresaw the situation whereby the vehicle they sold cannot be repaired in a reasonable amount of time due to component shortage.
In the current state of play, perfectly viable vehicles are written off and a cash sum offered which is no better than useless as no alternative can be proffered due to chip shortages preventing immediate purchase.

True, I recently avoided a shunt due to the onboard systems, but does that make me a better driver? NO!
The new systems are amazing though. My Audi automatically stopped me rear ending a transit van the other day by both braking and steering. I didn't notice it suddenly stopping as I was too busy sorting my music playlist on one of my touchscreens ....! At least I know it works! And to keep my eyes on the road

Mandatory Safety Systems pah... nanny state more like. My works car has "lane assist", I switched it off each time I got in it this week, doesn't work properly and properly sh!ts you up in icy conditions as it tries to make you "tow the line"!
My son's Evoque with lane assist tried to get him back into lane as he moved over to pass a cyclist and hadn't indicated right. Just fucking dangerous!

My son's Evoque with lane assist tried to get him back into lane as he moved over to pass a cyclist and hadn't indicated right. Just fucking dangerous!
Had a works X-Trail until recently that would slam the anchors on near Tesco, it was two sets of Pelican Crossings in short order on an S Bend, confused the bejaysus out of my Franco-Japanese faux-by-four 🤣

Indeed. I just had my Elgrand written off. Very minor damage, in fact I was still driving it after some temporary repairs. Just needed a new sliding door and a window replaced. Cost me about £250 in second hand parts. After buying back the Elgrand I had a cheque for over £4,000, leaving me plenty of change. There has to be something seriously wrong with the insurance industry if this is possible.
Ian, how did you get on with re-insurance - did you have to get an engineering report of some sort and was the insurance more expensive after making a claim?

Back