• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Fuel gauge recall

frasco

Active Newbie
Scotland
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Fraser
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
I recently received my carVX report for my E51 rider that's currently being shipped over to the UK.

The report states that the fuel gauge recall has not been carried out. What is the best way to go about getting this done? Would a UK Nissan dealer be able to sort it for me and is it likely to cost me?

Email postoffice@nisan.co.jp giving you VIN and they will confirm whether it has been done and if not they'll authorise Nissan UK to do it. Take this authorisation to a Nissan dealer and they should then do it FOC.
Many on here have had this done.

Had mine done when I first got it as mine had also not been done in Japan, took a little while for Nissan UK to get arranged but as John says it was done FOC.
Once it is then done you can check that it has been registered with Nissan as having been completed. Forget how I done this but if you do a search on the forum you will be to find out.

I just tried to send email to them for the recall check and received this message.

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to postoffice@nisan.co.jp because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

Does anyone have an alternative email for the fuel gauge recall check?

I recently received my carVX report for my E51 rider that's currently being shipped over to the UK.

The report states that the fuel gauge recall has not been carried out. What is the best way to go about getting this done? Would a UK Nissan dealer be able to sort it for me and is it likely to cost me?
mine showed it had not been done when it was imported, but the dealer who sold it said he had checked it and it was okay.....and it has so far !

I just tried to send email to them for the recall check and received this message.

Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to postoffice@nisan.co.jp because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

should be postoffice@Nissan.co.jp typo in the OP

Address not found

Sorry missed out an s....
Should be postoffice@Nissan.co.jp

Thanks both, I am resending the email now. Have a great night 👍

After Nissan Japan verified that this recall work needed to be done on mine I contacted Nissan GB in December, still waiting for a response!

After Nissan Japan verified that this recall work needed to be done on mine I contacted Nissan GB in December, still waiting for a response!
Think you'll need to take it to a Nissan dealer and ask them to do it.

The dealer near me wanted the OK from Nissan GB with confirmation of who would pay for the work.

Hi everyone, I have not gotten a response from postoffice@Nissan.co.jp, however reading and older post from Stempy on his experience with purchasing his Elgrand there was a link for recalls.

http://www.Nissan.co.jp/RECALL/search.html

Lucky for me the recalls including the fuel gauge fix it says it was performed on our E51. I'll check when I pull the instrument cluster out another time.

To use the link above what worked easy for me was Android phone Google Translator App I Installed and used Chrome browser. The translator app when I chose English automatically translated each page into English for me from Japanese.

To find your chassis number you can either pop off the small plastic cover plate next to drivers seat above the door sill to expose the chassis stamp. Or in the engine bay left of the battery on the inside of the wing is the vehicle identification plate. The number will be like ME51-012345.

When imputing your chassis number on the recall site there are two text boxes separated by a hyphen.

Enter on the left box just E51 then on the right box enter "your" number 012345

You will see the recalls listed and if they were performed of not. By clicking on the item "Elgrands Recall" in the Contents column it will link you to another page that will tell you what the recall is.

For the fuel recall the translation says: Location of nonconformity of standards Due to improper fuel gauge circuit, the board inside the gauge may repeatedly expand thermally and the circuit may break. Therefore, the indicated value of the fuel gauge becomes high, the fuel is not noticed that the fuel has run out, and in the worst case, the engine may stall during driving and the fuel may not be restarted. Details of improvement Add an auxiliary circuit to the fuel gauge circuit for all vehicles. Identification: Stick a silver sticker on the right side of the model license plate. Note indicates additional parts.

Just a word of caution on that recall link. There has been a suggestion that when a car is exported the database is updated as all complete even if thet haven't actually been done. That's why I always suggest writing to Nissan.
I'm surprised you heard back yet. They've always been very quick when I've emailed them.

Just a word of caution on that recall link. There has been a suggestion that when a car is exported the database is updated as all complete even if thet haven't actually been done. That's why I always suggest writing to Nissan.
I'm surprised you heard back yet. They've always been very quick when I've emailed them.
Oh that's not good on the recall link. I will pull my instrument cluster soon to check if the auxillary circuit has been added or not. Thanks for the heads up John. Yes I'm surprised also that Nissan has not emailed me back. I emailed them in both English and translated Japanese on the same email request.

When this year I bought mine at auction in Japan the Nissan recall link showed the fuel gauge as outstanding, however once it was exported this then changed to no recalls showing. I asked for clarification from postoffice@Nissan.co.jp and they confirmed that the fuel gauge recall had NOT been done so this confirms that the 'system' is reset on export. This means that there could be a lot of Elgrands purchased from dealers in the UK that actually do need recall work done.

Last edited:
Good morning all, I just received my 2 emails back from postoffice@Nissan.co.jp and they say the same, however different refference numbers. Maybe the weekend I'll pull the instrument cluster to see if the auxillary circuit has been added to be sure and post a picture with numbers for reference.

1st reply:
Date: Tue, Jan 11, 2022, 1:55 AM
Subject: Fwd: Fuel gauge recall check please / 残量ゲージのリコールチェックをお願いします [ ref:_00D10bjw3._5001015RjdM:ref ]
To: my main email address
Dear Mr. Frederick Ruppert;
This is in reply to your email dated January 6, 2022, concerning your Nissan Elgrand. First, thank you for your patronage of our products.

Regarding your inquiry, we would like to inform you that the fuel gauge recall work for your vehicle with the chassis number ME51-014381 has been completed in Japan.

We hope the information will be useful for you.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Contact Center
Nissan MOTOR Co., LTD.
Japan

-------what I wrote in English and also in Japanese-----------

Hello Post Office Nissan,

I would like to request if my vehicle has had the Fuel gauge recall
performed?

My vehicle is:

2005 Nissan Elgrand
VIN/Chassis No. ME51-014381

Thank you,

Frederick Ruppert

----------------------------------------------------
2nd reply:
Date: Tue, Jan 11, 2022, 7:34 AM
Subject: Elgrand E51 fuel gauge repair [ ref:_00D10bjw3._5001015S35f:ref ]
To: my wife and I family email address

Dear Frederick;

This is in reply to your email dated January 10, 2022, concerning your Nissan Elgrand. First, thank you for your patronage of our products.

Regarding your inquiry, we would like to inform you that there are no open recalls on the vehicle with the chassis number E51-014381. The fuel gauge recall work has been completed in Japan.

R278
http://www.Nissan.co.jp/RECALL/DATA/report2049.html

Concerning the malfunction, we recommend you have your vehicle inspected at a dealer. Your understanding would be appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Contact Center
Nissan MOTOR Co., LTD.
Japan

-------what I wrote to them, using template suggested on here---------------
Hello, My name is Frederick and I have noticed a faulty fuel gauge recently
in my Nissan Elgrand e51.. VIN NUMBER ;
E51-014381
Some friends of mine have recently had theres replaced at Nissan dealer in
uk!
How can i get mine repaired?

I Hope you can help me so i can carry on driving this amazing vehicle
safely..have a wonderful day.

Thank you.
Frederick and Elodie Ruppert
ref:_00D10bjw3._5001015S35f:ref

Ok so I couldn't sit still and had to know, so I pulled the instrument cluster to see if what postoffice@Nissan.co.jp said was officially performed or not.

It looks like the fuel gauge recall was performed on our E51 as per the Japanese recall documentation. I do see the auxiliary wire harness and small circuit board attached. Pictures with visible part numbers for your reference below. A big thank you to everyone who chimed in with support. Stay safe and all the best.

Back