• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Electric Curtains, Worth It ?

sumogne

Active Newbie
Yorkshire
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
Yorkshire
Hi

Just had a general question please?! Been looking to buy a new car and am focusing on an E51 Elgrand (but will admit to also considering a 10 Series Alphard!)

I have a pretty strict spec list, but am unsure on electric curtains - and if I do want them, then I am really limiting myself on the choice of available cars out there.

So, yes, they look like an impressive feature to show off and they ping back and forth fast - but does anyone who has them get much actual use out of them?

I suppose they are good for added sunlight protection but the windows are already dark/privacy glass. Also I was thinking that if I ever slept in the back they might help there - but I can't imagine they would block out all the light and pretty sure they wont be blackout curtains either?

Genuinely interested to know peoples thoughts/uses on them.

Thanks!

Bit of a gimmick really, well, the electric bit.

Having curtains is nice for camping etc... and getting an Elgrand equipped with electric curtains gives you the integrated rails which are tidier than aftermarket options...

I have had both and prefer them.
Easier than sticking the window covers in when camping.
Great when traveling with kids and the sun blazers through the windows while watching the dvd.
Just push the button and happy kids.

Have them on my E51 and they are great, especially when the kids are watching movies in the back, also put a removable curtain between drivers seat and the middle row and the kids think it's a cinema

Thanks all - that's helpful, they do sound like a nice to have, though I don't think i'll let it hold me back on car choice. I suppose for camping I would need blackout/thermal stick-on types anyway, whereas these feel more like privacy/shading curtains.

Just onthe same topic I saw some Mazda Bongo blinds on youtube the other day which were amazing - they were hidden from view and shut down from top- bottom completely blocking all light. Bongo is getting on a bit now though.

Thanks all - that's helpful, they do sound like a nice to have, though I don't think i'll let it hold me back on car choice. I suppose for camping I would need blackout/thermal stick-on types anyway, whereas these feel more like privacy/shading curtains.

Just onthe same topic I saw some Mazda Bongo blinds on youtube the other day which were amazing - they were hidden from view and shut down from top- bottom completely blocking all light. Bongo is getting on a bit now though.
My old workmate had a Bongo before I got my E51 but wants I did he said he would have got an E51 had he known about them at the time , if you are after one just go for 2007 onwards so you have no issues with low omitted zones as they are popping up all over the place these days

I use them daily. Stops snooping eyes plus I draw them when the sun's out and parked up. Plus passenger in the back use them all the time for the sun and to create a cinema in the back.

Those that ain't got them will say they don't need them 😀

Also any camping you do again great when you have a bed in the back I even have the rarer divide curtain between front and rear.

I've got them on my Elgrand and I've done sleep ins with my dog, and I'd 100% recommend them. I don't usually use them electrically (but I've checked they work like that), but just pull them across by hand when I'm under the quilt. imo they do a really good job. I slept in a kind of units/industrial place last Saturday, as it was quiet and near where I wanted to walk with the dog. They had these bright security lights, an orangy hue, and they did a pretty good job- far better than when I compared to not using them.

Might be a bit of a niche response but we have an epileptic dog and the power curtains are useful if driving past trees with the sun shining through them, etc. Also handy if parked up in sunny weather to save running the aircon which on average (not that an Elgrand is average....) can sap upto 10% of an engine's power. Still need shades for the windscreen and front door windows though.

I'd probably add to the above, that if for whatever reason I had to get another Elgrand, I think curtains would all but be a must-have option. Not 360 camera level, but maybe the highest one after that. I think I'd hang on until the right one with them came up.

My old workmate had a Bongo before I got my E51 but wants I did he said he would have got an E51 had he known about them at the time , if you are after one just go for 2007 onwards so you have no issues with low omitted zones as they are popping up all over the place these days
Don't need to worry too much about low emission zones -most people are getting CAZ exemptions quite easily now and also ULEZ - the latter takes a little more persistence but I wouldn't forgoe a pre 2006 if it was what you were looking for.

I had curtains in my 1st Elgrand and found them invaluable for my dogs - it stops them seeing things to bark at !! Also great for when I need to change in the back - so when I needed to buy a new one earlier this year, it was an essential for me, along with sunroof and 4wd.

Good luck with the search.

Back
Top Bottom