• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

E51 Interior Rattles?

Rebus-ace

Premium Member
Midlands
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Elgrand
E51
Region
Midlands
Does anyone else notice what appears to me to be excess 😖rattling generated by the rear seats when going over bumps or on generally rough, bumpy roads?
One of the main gripes I’ve had about my 2008 Elgrand HWS is the many annoying little buzzing vibrations and rattles that emanate from its interior—unlike my 1997 Hiace Regius Touring.
Hopefully, the new coil overs will reduce the level when I fit them.

what are your experiences in this area, folks? 🙄

Coils will not make a difference.
Try adjusting the sliding doors or removing side panels to see if some clips are broke.

Yes, the awful noises get to you eventually, I get a constant loud plasticy squeeling noise from the front dash around the windscreen in particular, as well as so much crashing over bumps it made my ears hurt sometimes!

Try adjusting the sliding doors or removing side panels to see if some clips are broke.
Yeah, amongst other noises, I’ve got a constant buzz coming from behind the n/s sliding door card…drives me nuts!😣

Reactions: Reg
Obviously just between us, and some people on here might not agree (!!) but in general the build quality of Toyotas is probably better than Nissan's though.

Yeah, amongst other noises, I’ve got a constant buzz coming from behind the n/s sliding door card…drives me nuts!😣
Speaker likely to have given up. Easy job to replace and cheap depending on what you get.

Yes, the awful noises get to you eventually, I get a constant loud plasticy squeeling noise from the front dash around the windscreen in particular, as well as so much crashing over bumps it made my ears hurt sometimes!
Same on mine…nearside windscreen-to-dash. Am surprised at the amount of flexibility in rear split seats, and as yet can find no way to make their fixings any more sturdy.🛠🔩🪛

Good point! Tell you what, though… in my search for solutions to the slide door vibration I found a solution to the excessive resistance offered when using the door manually:

There’s a sliding wire connection rail along the bottom, and after spraying some silicon lube up and around the door card clips ( in case a slack one of those was responsible for the buzz) excess overspray got on to the rail……which consequently resulted in a much freer sliding action of the door thereafter. A positive side effect I’d say; since I’ve heard on the forum of exterior breaking door handles, and this may well be the principle cause??? 🧐

Good point! Tell you what, though… in my search for solutions to the slide door vibration I found a solution to the excessive resistance offered when using the door manually:

There’s a sliding wire connection rail along the bottom, and after spraying some silicon lube up and around the door card clips ( in case a slack one of those was responsible for the buzz) excess overspray got on to the rail……which consequently resulted in a much freer sliding action of the door thereafter. A positive side effect I’d say; since I’ve heard on the forum of exterior breaking door handles, and this may well be the principle cause??? 🧐
I might try that, since both cables have snapped I have found the effort involved in opening the doors makes the car so inconvenient I don't want to use it with passengers. I have to keep getting out to let people in or out, it's just stupid!

With two people sat on the middle seats the rattling is almost zero so, either I will get a couple of sacks of spuds or, will investigate those seats. Must be a way to tighten something.

Check the plastic rivets on the plastic seat surrounds . Squeak from dash is normally the old sat nav moving around

Check the plastic rivets on the plastic seat surrounds . Squeak from dash is normally the old sat nav moving around
Yes, checked those…and since they were loose-fitting I made up some felt washers to take up the slack. No improvement though, unfortunately; so they weren’t the culprit in my case. 😕

Has anyone had a lightweight rattle from (possibly) the B pillar area? Becuase I have hearing aids I can’t figure if it is the driver door or the pillar bit I’ve had the door apart and couldn’t find it so I think it is the pillar. It’s not the heavy rattle of the sliding door, I’ve adjusted them and they are solid, this is something with low mass.
are the plastics easy to take off? I haven’t braved it yet as don’t want to break (any more) clips.

Does anyone else notice what appears to me to be excess 😖rattling generated by the rear seats when going over bumps or on generally rough, bumpy roads?
One of the main gripes I’ve had about my 2008 Elgrand HWS is the many annoying little buzzing vibrations and rattles that emanate from its interior—unlike my 1997 Hiace Regius Touring.
Hopefully, the new coil overs will reduce the level when I fit them.

what are your experiences in this area, folks? 🙄
I’ve had a few annoying rattles from behind me in my E51 2003 3.5 since I got it Dec 2022. I believe I’ve sorted one by connecting up all the safety belts but I still have a rattle from behind me when driving I believe coming from the sliding door. How do I remove the panel to check what’s loose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else drive there partners crazy with mentioning about squeaks and rattles?!
Currently it sounds like I have a nest of pigeons in the rear and a really annoying rattle between the headliner and front sunroof to locate, other than that I still love my Elgrand! :joy:

Anyone else drive there partners crazy with mentioning about squeaks and rattles?!
Currently it sounds like I have a nest of pigeons in the rear and a really annoying rattle between the headliner and front sunroof to locate, other than that I still love my Elgrand! :joy:
My other half is my main rattle

The only rattling I get is from the rock and roll bed... and that's I the up position too !!!

Mines pretty good actually. I get some creaking and noise from the rear sunroof occasionally. Definite loose heat shield fixing at the front makes a buzz at low revs, but the seats etc everything nice and quiet still. I've just gone over 60k miles.

I’ve had a few annoying rattles from behind me in my E51 2003 3.5 since I got it Dec 2022. I believe I’ve sorted one by connecting up all the safety belts but I still have a rattle from behind me when driving I believe coming from the sliding door. How do I remove the panel to check what’s loose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
don't know how to remove it but had the same thing was driving me nuts adjusted the door so many times but it turned out to be the door card sliding rubber cut from an old car matt between the window and the door card made a huge difference just don't open the rear window or it falls to the road ,(must stick it some how).

Back