• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Camping

Mitch1

Premium Member
South East
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Elgrand
E51
Region
South East
how do people who camp in there motors, use the electric door when camping , asking in light of of battery drain ,do just leave it open , or can you open it manualy without damaging it,?

I just turn the power doors off at the switch and use them manually, there should be no issues. Also worth turning off the lights including the door step lights off too

We pulled the bulb out.
We just use the door as it is,
BUT, we did the battery upgrade under the bonnet and do actually have a small solar panel on the dash trickle charging too.

The light automatically switches off after 20 mins. I leave the side door open when on site and also overnight if it's warm enough. Never had a problem with battery drain in 6 years of ownership.

I just turn the power doors off at the switch and use them manually, there should be no issues. Also worth turning off the lights including the door step lights off too
Upvote for this method.

so wont damage em by using manually ???
I turn mine off too 50% of the time, as I thought it'd 'give the mechanism a rest', but I found out it makes no difference if you open it manually or electrically for the cables. But it will help with help not draining the battery.

We flip flopped between the 2.

In the end it came down to cost.

North of 8/9 grand for a side against about 4 for a rear one...the RnR bed whacks the price up as does the roof, our kids are too big to sleep up top..only really conceivable for 2 toddlers/small kids.

We figured we'd need an awning come what may so decided to keep the middle row of seats so they could travel in comfort...any distance sat on the RnR bed in seat mode isn't the comfiest. Plus I like the little diner style seating you can get..to escape the weather if need be.

If there's only 2 of you I could see the benefits of a side but after having hired one as a trial before purchasing felt it was cramped and awkward when the bed is down.

Each to their own I suppose.

so wont damage em by using manually ???
No damage in two years, it just stops the motor that moves the doors and the auto latch still happens. Some Elgrands come with just one automatic door by design.

Is that real?
Yes i can confirm it works in our camper, just push the overhead light switch twice and they go off. I was worried about sitting with the door open for extended periods and the light draining the battery.

Yes i can confirm it works in our camper, just push the overhead light switch twice and they go off. I was worried about sitting with the door open for extended periods and the light draining the battery.
Amazing, will try it on my non-converted EG to see if that’s an original feature

Is that real?
Yeah, I asked on here before xmas and someone told me to do that. The first push actually lights up that big one in the centre of the car, over the middle row of seats. But a quick push of the button again outs that and the little step one you're talking about.

Yep it worked. It’s the black button on the black part of that overhead light console, not the other buttons on the beige part (for the sake of others figuring this out). First push switched off door lights, second push switched off central ceiling light! Very useful thanks,

The is the one the poster Richard Fox kindly put on to help me out when I had a similar issue, trying to tun off the step lights

Press 2X, fairly quickly.

1713363637920.png

That’s the one. Once for centre light, twice for footwell.

We pulled the bulb out.
We just use the door as it is,
BUT, we did the battery upgrade under the bonnet and do actually have a small solar panel on the dash trickle charging too.
What size panel do you have? Does it provide enough to keep things in shape?

Back