• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Alloy Split Rims Polishing

Your local centre will more than likely want to quote you for a full job rather than split the wheels and rebuild? having only done half the job in between, if that makes sense
if they are going to split, powder coat , laquer and rebuild then polishing the rims is not going to be that much more (assuming they have their own lathe and buffer)
did you get any pics from the rear ?
You were right. 👍

Have spoke to them today and they only want to do a full refurb but were a bit hazy on removing the rim bolts so that the steps can be done in black.

I get the impression they only really want to work on 1 peice wheels.

Did not bother asking whether they had a lathe and buffer as I do really fancy doing at least some of the work myself and they they did not fill me with confidence on whether they would do the wheels as I want them done.

They said to drop in with the wheels and they will give me a quote but at present I have decided to look at other options.

Now thinking of having the tyres taken off and then taking the bolts out myself.

I think Work use a either a10 or 12 Point 8mm bolt and there are plenty of split rim sockets in either size on ebay.

Will be able to check when I get the wheels which should now be this weekend coming.

I have now researched on line and there are a couple of powder coating companies local to me, one of whom I have used before to powder coat old cast iron radiators.

Both of these are not alloy wheel refurbishers as such but both offer beadblasting /sandblasting and powder coating of alloys as a stand alone option and one even has pictures of a 3 peice alloy that they have beadblasted on there website

Nqw thinking that this would be the best option as it lets me do a part of the work myself but have the wheels precleaned prior to polishing and having them professionally power coated.

Will try to have a chat with them both tomorrow.

Had a chat today on the phone with one of the powder coating companies and they have said that they are happy to powder coat the wheels as long as I take the bolts out and polish the rims and face's on them and they will mask up to to get the look that want when they powder coat.

Also said if I wanted they could either put the wheels in there stripping bath to clean off the crap on the back of the wheels and barrels or they reckon after looking at my pictures of the wheels it would not be too difficult to do with a wire brush and sandpaper, They have said that the rears do not need to be fully polished just clean and free of any old paint or lacquer as they need a key for the powder coating

They have also said that it would not be worth beadblasting the rims and face as this leaves a more satin finish and to get a mirrow finish I would just be taking this off again.

I will take the wheels into them next week after I pick them up at the weekend for them to have a proper look at them

I will know then weather I will need a 10 or 12 point split rim socket also and can get this ordered.

In the meantime I have bought a few bits from ali express, ready for starting work on the wheels next week

2 of these polishing kits https: //vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006143936229.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.9.793e18022nW1hp&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

4 work centre cap stickers in black and yellow ,

Also bought 4 of these Graphene Ceramic Coating https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.15.4ce01802DOa60U&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Be interesting to see how good they are and at abought £18 for a total 280mm i think that i might have just bought some coloured water. Going to try it first on the alloys my wife's car and you never know. have been using Gtecniq c5 wheel armour but at over £42 for 30mm it starts to work out expensive

Had a chat today on the phone with one of the powder coating companies and they have said that they are happy to powder coat the wheels as long as I take the bolts out and polish the rims and face's on them and they will mask up to to get the look that want when they powder coat.

Also said if I wanted they could either put the wheels in there stripping bath to clean off the crap on the back of the wheels and barrels or they reckon after looking at my pictures of the wheels it would not be too difficult to do with a wire brush and sandpaper, They have said that the rears do not need to be fully polished just clean and free of any old paint or lacquer as they need a key for the powder coating

They have also said that it would not be worth beadblasting the rims and face as this leaves a more satin finish and to get a mirrow finish I would just be taking this off again.

I will take the wheels into them next week after I pick them up at the weekend for them to have a proper look at them

I will know then weather I will need a 10 or 12 point split rim socket also and can get this ordered.

In the meantime I have bought a few bits from ali express, ready for starting work on the wheels next week

2 of these polishing kits https: //vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005006143936229.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.9.793e18022nW1hp&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

4 work centre cap stickers in black and yellow ,

Also bought 4 of these Graphene Ceramic Coating https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.15.4ce01802DOa60U&gatewayAdapt=glo2vnm

Be interesting to see how good they are and at abought £18 for a total 280mm i think that i might have just bought some coloured water. Going to try it first on the alloys my wife's car and you never know. have been using Gtecniq c5 wheel armour but at over £42 for 30mm it starts to work out expensive

I've looked at these ceramic coatings and wondered if they're worth the punt? Same with the Quick detailers....part of me thinks a lot of firms repackage this stuff with mega advertising clout. You'll have to be the guinea pig, though 😉. I've got a 39 pc polishing kit arriving soon. 6 quid! I'll either have a super clean mirror finish, or no paint at all 😅

Got the same stuff on Amazon for up to £8 per bottle still coming from China and actally takes a week longer to arrive. I
agree with you regarding repackaging, quite often just a different label and a fancy name and lots advertising but all made in the same factory in China. See how it turns out on my wifes car and may be I could have a little sideline selling repackeged Elgrand special ceramic coatings with a fancy name :D

Back
Top Bottom