• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

4x4 stuck on?!?

Elgrand Dory

Premium Member
Scotland
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Amanda
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
My 4x4 is stuck on. Hmm?!?

More likely your yellow 4wd warning light meaning there's a problem with your 4wd is on..?

It's not letting me take it off or select 2wd, it's as though it's stuck on 4x4

It's not letting me take it off or select 2wd, it's as though it's stuck on 4x4
What indicators are you going on?

If you have a yellow light on the dash reading 4wd it is the yellow 4wd warning light (yellow lights are usually warning lights). You would only expect it to be in 4wd if the picture of the car in the middle of the dash has a green light in each of the 4 wheel positions... only green lights on the rear wheels means rear wheel drive, no green lights in wheel positions again means a 4wd system problem

Yes that what it's doing buddy, it has no green lights on the dash, it did have when first bought her, but the issues are piling up now.

Still love her though, LPG makes such a difference too

Do you also have or have you had an ABS warning light on?

The 4wd system relies on the ABS system so if an ABS system is detected it prevents the 4wd from working. While ABS errors will self clear when the issue is resolved, 4wd error codes will remain until they are manually cleared.

There is a procedure you can run without needing any tools to find the 4wd error code and clear it (if the issue is resolved), I've had a look for the thread (that I was part of) but I haven't been able to find it, perhaps another user will be able to find it...

Or a suitable (expensive) scan tool will read/clear 4wd error codes.

There is the possibility of the 4wd problem not being related to an ABS issue, i.e. there could be an actual problem with the 4wd system.

I will tag someone I seem to remember was on the thread I mentioned (and may have found the manual procedure) @Clsjason @cjholding

The 4wd system relies on the ABS system so if an ABS system is detected it prevents the 4wd from working. While ABS errors will self clear when the issue is resolved, 4wd error codes will remain until they are manually cleared.

There is a procedure you can run without needing any tools to find the 4wd error code and clear it (if the issue is resolved), I've had a look for the thread (that I was part of) but I haven't been able to find it, perhaps another user will be able to find it...

There is the possibility of the 4wd problem not being related to an ABS issue, i.e. there could be an actual problem with the 4wd system.

I will tag someone I seem to remember was on the thread I mentioned (and may have found the manual procedure) @Clsjason @cjholding
Yes as a matter of fact, when I picked the car up it ABS light came on.. then went off..
The man I bought it from said he had never seen the light before then.

Thanks for helping me out, any information would be amazing. I've not been able to source a garage near me since buying her.
Getting a little anxious about it, but come hell or high water I getting this big girl fixed 👌🏻😉

Appreciated @Lpgc

We seem to have same issue! Except ours comes on only when towing. We had new radiator fitted, converted to LPG ane did wheels so not sure what could have caused it 🙈

Yes that what it's doing buddy, it has no green lights on the dash, it did have when first bought her, but the issues are piling up now.

Still love her though, LPG makes such a difference too
Ours are not only warning lights, but the 4wd kicks in too... Wait 20 min on the side of the road parked with ignition off and it goes back to normal 😳

Did you manage to find solutions?
Still no solution as yet, but will let you know once I get her back from the garage, that's if you haven't resolved your issue by now.. I'm just seen these messages sorry 😉✌🏼

Still no solution as yet, but will let you know once I get her back from the garage, that's if you haven't resolved your issue by now.. I'm just seen these messages sorry 😉✌🏼
We disconnected 4wd temporarily 😂🙈 also worked out it was going into 4wd because as we've just converted to LPG, the power was not adjusted and it lacked oomph to tow up hills. So we started switching to petrol on hilly terrain. LPG guy has adjusted it now, but haven't tested it yet.

We disconnected 4wd temporarily 😂🙈 also worked out it was going into 4wd because as we've just converted to LPG, the power was not adjusted and it lacked oomph to tow up hills. So we started switching to petrol on hilly terrain. LPG guy has adjusted it now, but haven't tested it yet.
I was going to suggest that as a possible cause.

Not one of my LPG conversions.

Make sure they haven't adjusted it so it switches back to petrol when you put your foot down or you'll find you still use some petrol when towing.

Come Friday, I'll hopefully have better idea of what's what to go forward.. I was told it was to do with a sensor.
Then the garage reset it, took £90 off me, then when I drove 100 yards from garage it came back on..so they took another £90 off me and didn't even fix the issue. Yet another reason I was left disheartened with that garage. 🙈🤷‍♀️ hopefully your issues are now resolved ✌🏼🤞🏼

I’ve just encountered this problem with our E51, all was fine until I had a front wheel bearing replaced. The mechanic broke the ABS sensor resulting in the ABS & 4x4 warning lights being displayed & all the green 4wd indicators going off.
Changed the ns ABS sensor & the ABS fault cleared but the 4x4 fault was still evident.
The garage was unable to clear the fault, took it to another garage but same story, guy said his reader wasn’t showing a fault!
Anyone actually found a solution?
Cheers

where do you learn this stuff?

Thanks to @Lacabrera

Heh, I bought a scan tool with clearing the same 4x4 error code in mind... Then Lacabrera came up with the (above) way to do it without using any tool, so really I didn't need to buy the scan tool! But it was always going to be useful for other issues and does (has since proven to) clear such 4x4 error codes - A decent compatible scan tool will clear the code, if the garage(s) had such scan tool they would certainly have been able to clear the 4x4 code without knowing the above procedure.

Back