• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

2.5 or 3.5 V6

Toru

Premium Member
North West
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Elgrand
E51
Region
North West
In a dilemma, want a 3.5 V6 but seem to see more 2.5 V6 with better spec for the interior which I would like.
Is the 2.5 just as good? Sound good, pull well and is the parts easy to source? What other car models does it share the same similar engine with? I've read the 3.5 is similar to the 350z and some Renault's use that engine so guess the parts are quite easy to obtain.

Cheers.

Let's be honest, the 2.5 will never be 'just as good' as it has 60 fewer horses pulling it along, but if outright power isn't your main concern then you could grab a high spec 2.5 for a good price. There are a few differences with layout of engine components which can make them harder to work on and spares may be rarer, but you pays your money etc etc.

3.5 shares very few components with the 350z engine but parts are fairly readily available even so.

Let's be honest, the 2.5 will never be 'just as good' as it has 60 fewer horses pulling it along, but if outright power isn't your main concern then you could grab a high spec 2.5 for a good price. There are a few differences with layout of engine components which can make them harder to work on and spares may be rarer, but you pays your money etc etc.

3.5 shares very few components with the 350z engine but parts are fairly readily available even so.
Thanks for the low down. Think will go for the 3.5 as had heart set on that, I'll just sacrifice some of the interior spec instead. Still be pretty good inside. 😉

Lots of people have the 2.5 and are really happy with it.
Once you get your post count to 10 the whole forum opens up for you.
There are quite a few posts on this issue 2.5 V 3.5
It'll help you make a more informed choice.

Obviously if your heart is definitely set on the 3.5 then go for that.

As a 2.5 owner now, i do wish i went for the 3.5 due to the pulling power on them. There isnt much difference in fuel economy....a full tank gave me just short of 300 local non motorway miles....which in comparison to my previous car is a lot less...but if i worried about fuel economy i would have got a hybrid estima...
2.5 in a straigh line superb, up a hill and u can hear and feel it struggling bit. What stopped me from getting a 3.5 is the bleeding ulez charge..i did check on a lot of them and found them to be non ulez free although having said that there are a few that are....i made sure i got the latest year 2009 e51 in 2.5 to get around the ulez payment....

3.5....they grunt more and give more but i am super happy with the 2.5 nonetheless...i does what it need to do and more.

Happy hunting....!!!

Lots of people have the 2.5 and are really happy with it.
Once you get your post count to 10 the whole forum opens up for you.
There are quite a few posts on this issue 2.5 V 3.5
It'll help you make a more informed choice.

Obviously if your heart is definitely set on the 3.5 then go for that.
Thanks I will see what information there is once the forum opens up for me. 😉

As a 2.5 owner now, i do wish i went for the 3.5 due to the pulling power on them. There isnt much difference in fuel economy....a full tank gave me just short of 300 local non motorway miles....which in comparison to my previous car is a lot less...but if i worried about fuel economy i would have got a hybrid estima...
2.5 in a straigh line superb, up a hill and u can hear and feel it struggling bit. What stopped me from getting a 3.5 is the bleeding ulez charge..i did check on a lot of them and found them to be non ulez free although having said that there are a few that are....i made sure i got the latest year 2009 e51 in 2.5 to get around the ulez payment....

3.5....they grunt more and give more but i am super happy with the 2.5 nonetheless...i does what it need to do and more.

Happy hunting....!!!
Thanks for the info Chaz, was wondering if it would have to work harder and therefore fuel economy will be near enough the same, bit like my motorbikes, my R1 doesn't need to work as hard as the 600 and ends up probably better mpg. 😂
Sorry to sound dumb but what's the ulez? Cheers.

Thanks for the info Chaz, was wondering if it would have to work harder and therefore fuel economy will be near enough the same, bit like my motorbikes, my R1 doesn't need to work as hard as the 600 and ends up probably better mpg. 😂
Sorry to sound dumb but what's the ulez?

I think its exactly that...2 tonnes of bus on a 2.5 as opposed to a 3.5...logic says a 3.5 will find it easier to get it moving quicker and easier.

The Ulez is the ultra low emissions zone...

As of october this year....if u live near north and south circular London....u have to pay £12.50 per day to drive ur car with no residence discount. So that's 12.50 to take if off my driveway....
This is on top of the london congestion charge which is about £15 per day..

Since u dont know what ulez is, chances are u not from london....so dont worry about it and get the 3.5..looool

I think its exactly that...2 tonnes of bus on a 2.5 as opposed to a 3.5...logic says a 3.5 will find it easier to get it moving quicker and easier.

The Ulez is the ultra low emissions zone...

As of october this year....if u live near north and south circular London....u have to pay £12.50 per day to drive ur car with no residence discount. So that's 12.50 to take if off my driveway....
This is on top of the london congestion charge which is about £15 per day..

Since u dont know what ulez is, chances are u not from london....so dont worry about it and get the 3.5..looool
Haha yes totally clueless of what the ulez was as I'm near Liverpool. That's scandalous charges for you. 👎☹️ I've heard they want to put the congestion charge going into Liverpool City centre soon. Not looking forward to that. 🤬

Haha yes totally clueless of what the ulez was as I'm near Liverpool. That's scandalous charges for you. 👎☹️ I've heard they want to put the congestion charge going into Liverpool City centre soon. Not looking forward to that. 🤬
I think Liverpool City Council have got their own scandals to worry about right now..... Though the presence of 'government commisars' will probably mean an acceleration of ULEZ style schemes in Liverpool.
Sad times.

But...3.5 all the way. As has been noted, parts a touch harder to come by, neglible mpg benefit. Besides, having changed my vehicles a lot since becoming a parent, so far the Elgrand has come out 2nd lowest cost of ownership so far, losing 1st place to a 66 plate Kia Sportage 1.6 petrol.😲

Don't want to hijack this thread - there's several others specifically on ULEZ - but as it has been referred to i just thought it should be clarified that whether you have 2.5 or 3.5 makes no difference to ULEZ exemption. The deciding factor is the age. Anything from 2006 reg will be exempt as this is when Euro 4 came into effect.

BTW welcome and good luck finding the vehicle of your dreams!!!

Don't want to hijack this thread - there's several others specifically on ULEZ - but as it has been referred to i just thought it should be clarified that whether you have 2.5 or 3.5 makes no difference to ULEZ exemption. The deciding factor is the age. Anything from 2006 reg will be exempt as this is when Euro 4 came into effect.

BTW welcome and good luck finding the vehicle of your dreams!!!
👍😀

I think Liverpool City Council have got their own scandals to worry about right now..... Though the presence of 'government commisars' will probably mean an acceleration of ULEZ style schemes in Liverpool.
Sad times.

But...3.5 all the way. As has been noted, parts a touch harder to come by, neglible mpg benefit. Besides, having changed my vehicles a lot since becoming a parent, so far the Elgrand has come out 2nd lowest cost of ownership so far, losing 1st place to a 66 plate Kia Sportage 1.6 petrol.😲
Yeah things we do once we become parents hey. 🤣 Glad the Elgrand has come out pretty good. I just want a car that's exciting and love it like, think the Elgrand will be. 😉

I went for the 3.5 because I read somewhere it has a reputation for doing 300,000+ miles before a rebuild and it often makes the Ward's 10 Best Engines List https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward's_10_Best_Engines . And I think the 2.5 would be under a fair bit of strain in such a heavy, high drag car. As for mpg, I'm getting LPG.

Welcome to the club, mine is 2.5 and I agree with @Chaz it does need to work that bit harder on hills......and as I live in Yorkshire, we have a few of them 🤦🏼‍♂️, but apart from power envy I do love my bus and it ticks all the boxes for the family. It’s good to have an open mind when looking and be willing to make a few sacrifices, enjoy the hunt 🚐😎

Im facing this same choice. Leaning more toward the 3.5. They are big vehicles, 2.5 feels a bit small.

Reactions: Bal
Hi All,
I just bought the 2.5lt and it works great. I find it has enough power for general use. I gues if you were pulling something then that'd be a different story. Why would they design and sell something that would under perform for standard usage?

My main purpose for going the 2.5 was fuel economy. I know above someone states it would be a negligent gain but does anyone know what the difference is exactly? Even a small difference in the current fuel price climate would make a difference.

Back