• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Wishbone Poly Bushes?

I'll take her for a back road and A19 run and see how I feel 👍🏼
When I bought my first Elgrand in 2021, the dealer fitted purple poly bushes and I found that I felt every bump and catseye through the car and steering. It was also squeaking over speed bumps. I changed them and put brand new genuine Nissan front arms on and it made everything much smoother. I have recently bought (Feb) a replacement Elgrand and I felt this one was also a little harsh and when I checked, it also had purple poly bushes so I have again replaced with new arms and it has made the ride much better. As I understand it, that bush is designed to allow a little lateral movement - there is none in the rim of the polybush, hence the harsh feel.

I remember putting some polybushes on my wife's Rover 220 turbo coupe years ago in an effort to make it handle a little better - ended up snapping a tie rod it was so harsh.

Hope this helps.

I have the poly bushes in the garage as I know some people prefer them so plan to sell them.

When I bought my first Elgrand in 2021, the dealer fitted purple poly bushes and I found that I felt every bump and catseye through the car and steering. It was also squeaking over speed bumps. I changed them and put brand new genuine Nissan front arms on and it made everything much smoother. I have recently bought (Feb) a replacement Elgrand and I felt this one was also a little harsh and when I checked, it also had purple poly bushes so I have again replaced with new arms and it has made the ride much better. As I understand it, that bush is designed to allow a little lateral movement - there is none in the rim of the polybush, hence the harsh feel.

I remember putting some polybushes on my wife's Rover 220 turbo coupe years ago in an effort to make it handle a little better - ended up snapping a tie rod it was so harsh.

Hope this helps.

I have the poly bushes in the garage as I know some people prefer them so plan to sell them.
I think putting polly in the rear lowers with standard springs is a no no to be honest.
The standard springs are soft compared to the bush, as mentioned , the rear bush needs to move back and forth ( this why they judder when worn on braking)
They do actually work slightly better if Coilover shave been fitted as they will be a little stiffer but in unison to each other , if that makes sense

Interesting, as when I got mine, in prep they do the cats, underseal, service and 'the bushings'. I always thought mine -thinking of an Elgrand in general-was a bit firmer than i was expecting. I can't compare it to anything, as the only other Elgrand I've driven was a test drive of another one for 15 or so mins. It's just I thought a long wheel base (well, compare to a MINI, a NISMO Juke, or an MX5!) would have a ride better than those. I thought it might be the CrossClimate2s I've got, as again, I've never had all seasons before, and the tyre pressures are fine (39-40psi), but now I see it 'might' be poly bushes.
It's not that it's 'bad', just not as soft/smooth as I thought it'd be. And of course if that is why it is, changing tyres later on probably will only produce a negligible difference.

Interesting, as when I got mine, in prep they do the cats, underseal, service and 'the bushings'. I always thought mine -thinking of an Elgrand in general-was a bit firmer than i was expecting. I can't compare it to anything, as the only other Elgrand I've driven was a test drive of another one for 15 or so mins. It's just I thought a long wheel base (well, compare to a MINI, a NISMO Juke, or an MX5!) would have a ride better than those. I thought it might be the CrossClimate2s I've got, as again, I've never had all seasons before, and the tyre pressures are fine (39-40psi), but now I see it 'might' be poly bushes.
It's not that it's 'bad', just not as soft/smooth as I thought it'd be. And of course if that is why it is, changing tyres later on probably will only produce a negligible difference.
What I have also noticed is that it is a bit harsher sometimes and other times not to bad. I don't know if this has got anything to do with temperature or what. Like I said I only had 2 bushes replaced on the wishbone

I have Powerflex purple on both my front arm front and front arm rear and also have a strut brace and 4 underbody braces with coilovers with uprated 9kg spring rate on the front and12 kg on the rear as my Elgrand is a 4 wheel drive and converted to a rear camper

I also have 20 inch wheels

I do not find the ride at all harsh, a bit firmer yes but I prefer this but night and day so much better than when I first got it with standard settings when it felt like driving a boat.

it now feels much more planted on the road and feels so much more secure when cornering and in my opinion a far nicer drive.

Maybe like Dave says this is because everything is a bit stiffer it all works in unison with each other.

In addition to an earlier post, where I mentioned in prep they 'do the bushings', I looked under and by the front wishbone and saw a purple 'ring' part, with the writing on it which isn't hidden has 'erflex', which obviously is the part of the word powerflex which isn't hidden (it's circular of course and the writing bends around into a visually hidden part at the angle I'm looking at). So mine's got the purple poweflex ones on it. That must explain my perceived ride firmness as being more than I'd have expected.

Edit: Contorted my head and saw the full word poweflex.

Last edited:
The ones that are fitted are blue 😕
Mine are purple and I personally think the ride is quite firm over manhole covers etc, rough tarmac. Not horrendous or anything dramatic, but less give than my other motors. Sounds weird, but it's a different kind of firm to a firmness you get on a sporty car suspension, which in those cases is usually 'taut' and 'focused'. My E51 reminds me of my former Mk1 Swift Sport's suspension. Kind of one dimensional firm, more artificial, which I guess is what is is when it's a 'normal' suspension with polys added. I must admit I go over speed bumps at 5mph or so (much to wind up of those behind me), so that isn't really a problem, but nevertheless, I mentioned to my Mrs before that of the cars we've got, I'm surprised the Elgrand isn't better over them. I wonder why he didn't fit purple on yours, rather than blue?

Back