• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Why does my Elgrand talk to me?

In some Elgrand's, especially when they are freshly imported, you may find that when you start the ignition you have a Japanese woman talking to you.

In this case, no she is not telling you how great you look today, or that you should not operate heavy machinery whilst tired... what you are actually hearing is the Japanese Electronic Toll Card Reader (commonly referred to as the ETC Reader).

This device, in Japan, allows people to put in their bank card, and then when they use toll roads, they are automatically charged. Saves scrambling for loose change, dropping it down the side of your seats etc. It's a very good and efficient system, but completely redundant in any other part of the world.

So you have 2 choices.

1/ Remove all the wiring to the device and either sell the unit on/give it away* or throw it away.

2/ Keep it in for the novelty and/or JDM points

*the reason you may want to consider selling/giving it to someone else is that there are a lot of people that like them for the JDM factor. These are electronics that are used over there and they can be somewhat of a collectors item to some people.
I really like it. Find it amusing. Plus I like the way Japanese speak. Wakaremaska?

In some Elgrand's, especially when they are freshly imported, you may find that when you start the ignition you have a Japanese woman talking to you.

In this case, no she is not telling you how great you look today, or that you should not operate heavy machinery whilst tired... what you are actually hearing is the Japanese Electronic Toll Card Reader (commonly referred to as the ETC Reader).

This device, in Japan, allows people to put in their bank card, and then when they use toll roads, they are automatically charged. Saves scrambling for loose change, dropping it down the side of your seats etc. It's a very good and efficient system, but completely redundant in any other part of the world.

So you have 2 choices.

1/ Remove all the wiring to the device and either sell the unit on/give it away* or throw it away.

*the reason you may want to consider selling/giving it to someone else is that there are a lot of people that like them for the JDM factor. These are electronics that are used over there and they can be somewhat of a collectors item to some people.
Knissan Industries Two Thousand?

I really like it. Find it amusing. Plus I like the way Japanese speak. Wakaremaska?
Yeah, it's a cool language. Not to mention their women. Hello! I went through a bit of a 'yellow fever' stage a while back and the Nippon girls were far and away my favourite ;)

So you have 2 choices.

Brilliant! This is my first day on this forum after getting an E51 last week, and I've learnt a ton already. Sweet. Good info to have.

I kept the etc in. I like the nostalgia from my younger days of jdm car ownership.

So you have 2 choices.

Cant believe its been over 5 years E51 owner and im just learning this. Thanks

So you have 2 choices.

So you have 2 choices.

*the reason you may want to consider selling/giving it to someone else is that there are a lot of people that like them for the JDM factor. These are electronics that are used

So you have 2 choices.

So you have 2 choices.

Wife tells

So you have 2 choices.

My wife has been hearing a Japanese lady randomly during a drive. Thinks it may be Sat Nav or speed cameras?

I randomly have Japanese ladies talking to me. I then have to reply, maybe a quick bow, and then thank goodness I don't need to speak more Japanese.

Twice when out today, the Japanese voice spoke- not just on start up, but twice when driving, a bit later on. Does anyone have any idea why, or what she says?

Just had a new radio fitted in my Elgrand. Thought that would be the end of the voice on startup. But no. It still talks to me. Also. Twice now, when I've been travelling. The voice said something else. Don't know why.
But I am wonder if it thinks we are approaching a toll road. As the start up voice is apparently reminding the driver about their toll card.

I think one of the messages reminds you to take a break.

So you have 2 choices.

Me and the kids like the cute voice

Back