• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Why does my Elgrand talk to me?

Karl

The Boss
Staff member
E50 Owner
Premium Member
North East
E50 Expert
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Elgrand
E50
Region
North East
In some Elgrand's, especially when they are freshly imported, you may find that when you start the ignition you have a Japanese woman talking to you.

In this case, no she is not telling you how great you look today, or that you should not operate heavy machinery whilst tired... what you are actually hearing is the Japanese Electronic Toll Card Reader (commonly referred to as the ETC Reader).

This device, in Japan, allows people to put in their bank card, and then when they use toll roads, they are automatically charged. Saves scrambling for loose change, dropping it down the side of your seats etc. It's a very good and efficient system, but completely redundant in any other part of the world.

So you have 2 choices.

1/ Remove all the wiring to the device and either sell the unit on/give it away* or throw it away.

2/ Keep it in for the novelty and/or JDM points

*the reason you may want to consider selling/giving it to someone else is that there are a lot of people that like them for the JDM factor. These are electronics that are used over there and they can be somewhat of a collectors item to some people.

In some Elgrand's, especially when they are freshly imported, you may find that when you start the ignition you have a Japanese woman talking to you.

In this case, no she is not telling you how great you look today, or that you should not operate heavy machinery whilst tired... what you are actually hearing is the Japanese Electronic Toll Card Reader (commonly referred to as the ETC Reader).

This device, in Japan, allows people to put in their bank card, and then when they use toll roads, they are automatically charged. Saves scrambling for loose change, dropping it down the side of your seats etc. It's a very good and efficient system, but completely redundant in any other part of the world.

So you have 2 choices.

1/ Remove all the wiring to the device and either sell the unit on/give it away* or throw it away.

*the reason you may want to consider selling/giving it to someone else is that there are a lot of people that like them for the JDM factor. These are electronics that are used over there and they can be somewhat of a collectors item to some people.
Albeit over time they would take " there Toll " on you:p

My ella talks to me too, it sounds like something about a 'cardamon..blablabla
I have a device in the glovebox that looks like a card reader of some sort , its got blue leds. i guess this is what talks.
ella also had this solar powered thing on the driver side of the dash... i took it out , the big button makes it beep twice and say something like "stadusdis" another button i hit and it played a little classical music !
this is the device : what is it ?? Ps it must have some kinda shock sensor in it , it beeps if its bumped ..
20180701_182643[1].jpg

Last edited:

So you have 2 choices.

I like it!

Mine came with a device that uses GPS and radar detector, but it only detects simple radars like on temporary traffic lights. It never went off for actual speed cameras, fixed or mobile. It also gave odd warnings based on GPS - something with a fire truck graphic - but never where there was anything visibly hazardous. It also has an engine information system, telling me engine RPM, engine load %, throttle opening, and fuel consumption.

I switched it off after a few months because it doesn't provide anything really useful, and radar detectors are illegal here in Aus, with huge fines and demerit points.

Lol yep i have one of them in mine , confuses people who are sat in passenger seat

Mine doesn't have one but I kept the one from my old Legacy import to fit in the Elgrand :)

So you have 2 choices.

...i told my kids that the van's magic and is talking to gargamel (the driver)..telling him the Smurfs (the kids) are in the back so lets go.

I told the kids she was wishing us a safe journey. So far, so good.

The geezer who sold me my E51 to me said it was scolding me for not belting up quickly enough, but soon saw through that when I belted up before I fired her up & still got told off, but from this thread I now know what the red LEDs are under the steering wheel!
He also told me he'd had the rear CATs de-cored : unamused: so does anyone know how to check without taking them off and looking for scars?

The geezer who sold me my E51 to me said it was scolding me for not belting up quickly enough, but soon saw through that when I belted up before I fired her up & still got told off, but from this thread I now know what the red LEDs are under the steering wheel!
He also told me he'd had the rear CATs de-cored : unamused: so does anyone know how to check without taking them off and looking for scars?
Hey if you look in this FAQ section the first thread is all about CATs. It’s well worth reading it all front to back...

Talking of JDM points.. Love being shouted at..

Also found a 'Learn English' type CD loaded on the HDD (amongst a ton of 10/10 Japanese electronic Pop titled 'Qwean of Hip Pop' whatever that even is) which I might have to reverse engineer to learn a bit of Japanese myself :p :joy::joy:

Back