• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Where is the DVD/NAV system in the workshop manual?

Skaface

Active Newbie
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Elgrand
E51
Region
Rest Of World
I found a manual online which was missing some of the AV parts, so I bought a manual today thinking it must be in there, I am looking in the AV section which is labelled as Audio, Visual & Navigation System.
I have looked through the entire thing and cannot find any wiring diagrams for the DVD system in the glovebox.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in the manual or does anyone have this set of diagrams?

I would like to work out if its possible to remove the DVD player and connect another audio/video device in its place, rather than using the aux jacks in the back.
I don't want to break the rules by asking for technical advice but if anyone has the wiring diagram it would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Bal
The DVD/Nav player is also the brains of the system, if you remove it you will lose control of all the various devices and other features such as the clock.

Audio TV Navigation and Telephone.jpg

Oh thankyou lestempy, I just worked out that the AV section of the manual that I just paid for is actually for a 2008 Nissan rogue :( And I also noticed a watermark on the PDF that points to a website where I could have downloaded it for free :( :(

I wouldn’t want to lose the clock, I love knowing what time it will be in 9 hours…
The time zone in Australia is at least partly the same as Japan I think.

its 1 hour off for me, its just like my other car when I cant be bothered setting it for daylight savings time :)

"The DVD/Nav player is also the brains of the system, if you remove it you will lose control of all the various devices and other features such as the clock."

I was about to do just that this morning! I'm glad i came across this post.
I dont mind losing the clock, but what else would it affect do you know?
(early 2005 3.5 hiwaystar)

You won't have control of any of the remaining infotainment system.

cheers. i'm pulling that all out anyway, so presumably all good... i guess i can always put the glovebox stuff back in if anything starts playing up.

Ok, in removing the glovebox dvd player and electronic toll reader on my 2005 e51 series 2 i get the following:

the main screen is blank (rather than displaying the Nissan logo) YAY and the overhead clock is gone YAY

I do not have a roof popdown back screen, or 4 wheel drive, or birdseye camera, or sunroof - so cant speak for them.

reverse camera works, and side blind camera and off button work, power and snow buttons work, all the airconditioning stuff works, and display correctly on the overhead clock screen, rear remote for aircon, rooflight works.

camera and display brightness buttons and Information Screen buttons all work - but only if i have turned on side blind camera, otherwise no other of the twelve top buttons work (except side blind camera and camera off)

On the Information Screen:
. carwings: blank YAY
. vehicle state set works
. travel information works
. utility works
. fm does not work (but my radio /cd /minidisc unit didn't work in the first place, so i'm replacing it anyway)

So, in summary, no harm done as far as i can see..... and i like the no clock and no Nissan logo result.

nice, I assume the TV tuner/AV inputs in the back dont work anymore (i'm not sure if you have the AV inputs not having a rear screen)

correct, i dont have them...

the only thing i'm wondering is if i've killed any alert messages that the screen would show me, (such as the maintainance pit sign).. i wont know that for 500 kms as thats the smallest increment i can set it to. I assume the dash light symbols will cover the rest? I haven't had the vehicle long enough to know what it tries to tell me through the main video screen.

You could test the alerts by driving with the door open or such like. Should be ok as the graphics are generated by the screen controller.

cheers...door open alert comes on, so i'll assume the rest do too.

There are 3 wires in the lead that goes into the toll reader, red one is accessory, black one is earth, and another is yellow and marked either 8+ or +8 or +B (my eyes are crap). Can anyone tell me what that wire is for?

+B is battery 12v, a permanent feed.

Thanks LeStempy.
Why would the ETC need both 12v permanent and accessory (which i take it is 12 volts delivered when the key stock is in accessory position or on)? Wouldn't power just be one or the other?

I'm just trying to get my head around electrics, having next to no knowledge, before I fit an accessory array (12 volt socket, 2 usb sockets and voltmeter) into the single din glovebox space where the dvd/nav unit was, using the ETC lead for power.

In my head I join the red accessory wire to the array, earth the array to the chassis, and cap the yellow +B wire ... the desired result being to have power to the array turned off when the ignition is fully off.

Sound right?

Back