• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Unusual conversions

Try this Susy, Northstar Conversions on the Isle of Wight...

https://www.northstarconversions.com/Elgrand-conversion-menu

I am not recommending them in any way, I just did a google search and they came up.

I have heard of them, but they are the other end of England to me, so not one I have considered.

Thank you!

Reactions: guf
Thank you!

No worries! A bit of a journey from you, but not too far in the grand scale of things. Worth going to see what they can do, or just to get some ideas and have a little holiday on the IOW. Long time since I've been there! :cool:

I said 'Tip of my tongue' in jest as reply to someone mentioning LPG conversion, I know you're interested in camper conversion.

The post I've linked to here will explain 'removable cushion with storage underneath setup', I meant the Campal setup which @Elgraman has listed on the post in the link as (b) simply campal, @LeStempy was selling one.

Thank you

By the way, are you particularly thinking of a campervan conversion for holidays? Or for other use?

Reactions: guf
For holidays. There is 4 of us and we really like the Elgrand e51 with pop up roof. But not sure about the standard rear or side conversions. I heard there are other types, been searching but can’t find much else apart from Campal

Would the double bed/side conversion, with pop top two kids berths in the roof not suit you? Or maybe just use the van for seating/eating/games room by adding a table in the middle of the seats when the middle row is turned to face backwards and have a really nice tent? 🤔

There's a "mushroom" pop-top.
Before you decide what you want, I would advise you to look at one in the flesh as a standard pop-top doesn't give you a lot of room to move about in. It isn't the full width and length of the vehicle.
The Hiace (high top) that George Shacklady is selling is a much roomier option.

1713458357953.png

I am hoping to go for the vertical pop top.

That's the Mushroom one I mentioned. If you look at that photo you can work out roughly how much room it gives you. Length it's generally OK, but width is quite narrow. You lose quite a bit at both sides so the working width is about a foot narrower than the width of the roof. This OK if you are a few inches under six foot tall but I'm 6'4 and when I stand up in ours I struggle to use the hob.

I am 5'5" and the vertical ones I have been in, have been fine for me. I did find the 'up at the back', or 'up at the front' ones more restricting, as you say. The 'slice of cake' which tips horizontally to the side, was always a great roof. I had that on an old VW bay window.
1713462702138.png

Back