• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Towing

A small trailer, you probably won’t notice it’s on there and won’t affect mpg as it will be little different to having two or three passengers.
it will be a right bugger to reverse tho unless you have a camera. Longer is easier.
towing a big twin axle van is a doddle but as Simon says, probably 15mpg.

This is untrue. If you had researched a little harder, rather than stopping when you came across the "No weight on vin plate = can't tow" You would have discovered that this is not applicable to Elgrands, as it does not apply to vehicles made solely for markets outside the EU. i.e. the Elgrand and other imports are exempt from this.
That is correct! And depends on age that determines the total train weight for me 3.5 tons!!!

That is correct! And depends on age that determines the total train weight for me 3.5 tons!!!

That last requirement has recently been removed in the last tranche of changes. Anyone with a car license can now tow up to 3.5 tons irrespective of when they passed the test, without having to do the trailer test. I am not sure why this requirement was removed, one would have thought that there were other changes that would merit a higher priority but hey ho.

The Elgrand is very capable of towing, BUT the problem comes with the maximum weight allowed by the tow bar manufacturer. Watlings (Now closing) always quoted 1500kg, Towsure also quote 1500kg. G above those limits, yes the bus will tow it, BUT then you would definitely be towing illegally. (Which would probably only come to light if you had an accident and there was found to be a failure around the tow bar etc. 99.9% of the police / DVLA wouldn't know without investigating.

Wow this is inspiring 😍
Can of worms :laughing:

Despite loads of discussion on various threads on forum about this there's still no consensus of opinion, despite loads of quotes from government websites and input from former traffic police officers.

This is what I do. Just got back from another long distance trip towing my large caravan.

View attachment 79650

Im looking to buy and tow a caravan, hmmm

I'd like to tow a work trailer

Despite loads of discussion on various threads on forum about this there's still no consensus of opinion, despite loads of quotes from government websites and input from former traffic police officers.

This is what I do. Just got back from another long distance trip towing my large caravan.

View attachment 79650
Do you know if you are able to go abroad with this setup?

How did you manage to get this plate fitted?
I ordered the plate from an engraver then pop riveted it to the wiper scuttle which was a requirement when I registered the car here. Rules are different in France, if there is no tow weight on the original chassis plate the it's illegal to tow and this has to be reflected on the additional French regulation chassis plate. As you can see, the PTRA is void, so even if I wanted a tow bar I can't have one.

I'm not sure how the rules apply to a non French registered JDM vehicle. It may be possible to have a vehicle engineer calculate the tow weight and have a Euro spec plate made up. I know there are companies in the UK that do this for motorhomes.

View attachment 79650
Goodness, you’ve got a big one! 🙂

Back