• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Elgrand_suki

Scotland
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
G
Elgrand
E51
Region
Scotland
This had happened to me a few times and only when my husband wanted to drive so I knew the issue was specific to him 😝

Thanks google.

Get rid of husband and see if the problem returns, the locked steering wheel not the ex husband.........

BTW what gear is the car in when this happens?

Hello my e51 is stuck in park and the ignition wont turn what do I need to do to get it working please

If the steering wheel is placing too much load (because the tyres are pulling it back into the lock) on the steering lock it may not release.

Try wiggling the wheel while turning the key.

You can press the shift lock button to release the lock on the gearstick and out of park, but for normal use the ignition needs to be on and your foot on the brake.

Make sure the key and fob is close to the steering column.
If the battery in the fob is weak, it won’t acknowledge its is there.

This issue is often due to failure of a little switch on the brake pedal that tells the transmission you are pressing the brake pedal to shift out of park. Pressing the shift lock override button will move it but you will need to get the switch replaced to get back to normal use.

If the steering wheel is placing too much load (because the tyres are pulling it back into the lock) on the steering lock it may not release.

Try wiggling the wheel while turning the key.
This happened to me last week when I lazy parked and didn't straighten up the front wheels, it took a couple of minutes wiggling and jiggling the steering wheel.

It has happened to me also, changed the battery in the key fob and all is well again ... suspect (as Peter said) the key isn't registering, so not unlocking the steering lock. For a £1 or so its worth a try!!

Thanks everyone it was a flat battery silly me I don't know why it got flat and was worrying but it's all sorted now

Give it a jiggle.

Back
Top Bottom