• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

    You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

    Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

    Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Steering column universal joint replacement

skystalker1

Active Member
E51 Owner
South West
Messages
157
Reaction score
230
Points
173
Location
Torbay
First Name
Richard
Elgrand
E51
Region
South West
Just passed MOT but was told to replace the steering column universal joint (slight wear or play) offside front lower ,was told steering could fail ,is this part available or is it a new steering rack ?
Also listed was track rod end ball joint offside front (slight play )and steering rack has slight play at steering wheel offside but its the first item I was told needs doing sooner than later ,any help please E51 2003 !
 
There are two joints in the steering column. Lower one is part no. 48080WL000

1728403286256.png
 
You can buy a replacement joint if you can fit it or get someone to do it for you just under £8 from aliexpress.


Screenshot (955).png
 
There are two joints in the steering column. Lower one is part no. 48080WL000

View attachment 109036
Thanks Stempy would be happy to buy both if I can find a seller all searches seem to lead to a steering rack not even sure if that even includes the joints !
 
Thanks Stempy would be happy to buy both if I can find a seller all searches seem to lead to a steering rack not even sure if that even includes the joints !
If you put the number in Google load come up But about £160
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/Nissan/48080wl000
 
Last edited:
Thanks Andy I have someone to fit the part is that the one Stempy mentions and will it fit ?
The part number is in the listing so it should fit you probably can get the same part on eBay I have looked I think it was £7 but it doesn't come up with a part number but it is the same size.
 
Thanks Stempy would be happy to buy both if I can find a seller all searches seem to lead to a steering rack not even sure if that even includes the joints !
Cheapest way is obviously to just replace the UJ if you know someone that will do it, though quicker and easier to replace the whole assembly so need to balance labour costs time wise. A Nissan dealer will likely get one if you give them the part number, but knowing how things work might be cheaper to buy direct from Japan via Amayama if you need the whole assembly.
 
The part number is in the listing so it should fit you probably can get the same part on eBay I have looked I think it was £7 but it doesn't come up with a part number but it is the same size.
Thanks Andy have ordered the first one ,very cheap !
 
I tried the bearing replacement route on my Saab, which has a similar layout, and its not as easy as it looks. I ruined the shaft on the car and had to get a recon unit. On the E51 I ended up getting one from Brian.
Not a difficult job to replace, I strapped the steering wheel so it couldn't spin and damage the clock spring.
 
Forgot to say, the reason the E51 lower part was replaced was due to the delamination of the rubber ant vibration part, not the UJ.
This is a known issue, are you confident it's not that?
 
Forgot to say, the reason the E51 lower part was replaced was due to the delamination of the rubber ant vibration part, not the UJ.
This is a known issue, are you confident it's not that?
not really confident, just going by what the MOT tester said but I will pass on what you said to my mechanic thanks
 
Forgot to say, the reason the E51 lower part was replaced was due to the delamination of the rubber ant vibration part, not the UJ.
This is a known issue, are you confident it's not that?
Mechanic has just confirmed this is the case any idea where I could buy the replacement rubber from ?
 
Not a separate part, you need to find a new or good replacement assy.
thanks for reply have found "e51 lower joint assembly steering column " buts its £225 other than that it's second hand do you know if its MOT failure as I have an advisory from last years and its due ?
 
Go to Brian first.
I had play in nearside inner steering joint for years, and was only an advisory, so I suppose at what point it becomes too much?

New one here? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175325801482
 
Last edited:
Back
Top