• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Spare wheel!

Dawny

Premium Member
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Dawn
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
South East
So jumped in the van this morning and pulled off to find out I had a flat tyre. Poked my head underneath to grab the spare and realise there wasn’t one 🤦🏻‍♀️
Any suggestions to the best place to get a spare 19” wheel from? Don’t want to spend a fortune on it (new tyre at £200 is enough for today!🤣) just want something there incase for future so it’s an option. I was lucky this time it was at home but still a pain as won’t hold air so need to take wheel off and take
It to go get new tyre on. Easier to put spare on temporarily to then go get tyre fixed 👍🏻
Thanks for any suggestions

Just did a quick google and there seem to be lots of 19" space saver wheels, could you get one of those? Amazon, eBay and several tyre places seem to do them. Mine is in the shed and I carry a can of rince away tyre foam, to pump the tyre up until I can get to my garage.

So jumped in the van this morning and pulled off to find out I had a flat tyre. Poked my head underneath to grab the spare and realise there wasn’t one 🤦🏻‍♀️
Any suggestions to the best place to get a spare 19” wheel from? Don’t want to spend a fortune on it (new tyre at £200 is enough for today!🤣) just want something there incase for future so it’s an option. I was lucky this time it was at home but still a pain as won’t hold air so need to take wheel off and take
It to go get new tyre on. Easier to put spare on temporarily to then go get tyre fixed 👍🏻
Thanks for any suggestions
You could get a 16" or 17" "standard" wheel with with a higher profile tyre - as long as its the same rolling circumference you will be ok. Probably cheaper than a 19" wheel and also, a 19" wheel may not fit in the carrier.

Just did a quick google and there seem to be lots of 19" space saver wheels, could you get one of those? Amazon, eBay and several tyre places seem to do them. Mine is in the shed and I carry a can of rince away tyre foam, to pump the tyre up until I can get to my garage.
Oh great idea. Didn’t think about the foam!! Thanks 👍🏻

You could get a 16" or 17" "standard" wheel with with a higher profile tyre - as long as its the same rolling circumference you will be ok. Probably cheaper than a 19" wheel and also, a 19" wheel may not fit in the carrier.
You know I didn’t even think about it not fitting in the carrier. That I will need to check. Thanks 🥰

Just remember with the tyre foam, some garages won't touch a tyre that's had it in, so just be aware! I've checked with my garage and they have facilities there to get rid of the foam.

when i bought my set of 4 18inch wheels i looked for a spare on ebay, got the same wheel with a good tyre for i think £80 !!!! so now have 5 wheels all the same and with the same tyre size.

Have you got alloys on? You could get an alloy to match your specs even if it's a different style but same offset and width pcd and tyre size. If it's for a long journey just bung it in the motor but for a daily it might be annoying lugging it around.... But what else will you use all that space in an e51 for :)

Can of foam or Slime might be useful if you get a puncture in a busy/dangerous spot but it's a big wheel so worth getting 2 cans and a good air pump so not left standing in a vulnerable position. Not sure if different OD spare wheels might screw/lock up the transmission, especially 4wd, if used over some distance. Worth considering a spare wheel cover (typically £8 on ebay) if the spare is kept under the vehicle so not having to handle a wet/muddy spare - you can turn it inside out to temporarily put the flat wheel in the car to save time. Polythene gloves also useful.

Some good advice in this thread.

Also remember that the wheel nuts may be very tight, and you may not be able to undo them with the small wheel brace that usually comes in the supplied car tool kit. It's worth investing in an extendable wheel brace and a torque wrench if you don't have them. Then have a dry run at home and undo all the wheel nuts. You don't need to take them off, just crack each one so you know you will be able to undo them should the need arise. Then retighten using the torque wrench to the correct setting, you don't want your wheels falling off.

Some good advice in this thread.

Also remember that the wheel nuts may be very tight, and you may not be able to undo them with the small wheel brace that usually comes in the supplied car tool kit. It's worth investing in an extendable wheel brace and a torque wrench if you don't have them. Then have a dry run at home and undo all the wheel nuts. You don't need to take them off, just crack each one so you know you will be able to undo them should the need arise. Then retighten using the torque wrench to the correct setting, you don't want your wheels falling off.
No I don’t want them falling off🤣 I couldn’t use the brace that came with the car had to get the spider out of the shed then stand and jump in it🤣 but it did work! But I do need to replace one of the nuts as it’s threaded and not going back on properly🤦🏻‍♀️ but tyre is fixed and will look for a spare before our long journey as the state of the roads leaves a lot to be desired!… wouldn’t take much for another puncture so better safe than sorry. 😬

Have you got alloys on? You could get an alloy to match your specs even if it's a different style but same offset and width pcd and tyre size. If it's for a long journey just bung it in the motor but for a daily it might be annoying lugging it around.... But what else will you use all that space in an e51 for :)
Infill
My car with kids🙄🤷🏻‍♀️
I would love new alloys for the van but can’t afford them at the moment. So doesn’t really matter if it matches or not. Or even if it’s an alloy it will only be a spare! Do you know or anyone on here what the nut spacing is I am looking for?

The wheel nut is obviously an easy find, get it ordered while it's fresh in your mind. :)

Infill
My car with kids🙄🤷🏻‍♀️
I would love new alloys for the van but can’t afford them at the moment. So doesn’t really matter if it matches or not. Or even if it’s an alloy it will only be a spare! Do you know or anyone on here what the nut spacing is I am looking for?
This is the bolt pattern spec for E51
Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3 (5x4.5)

The wheel nut is obviously an easy find, get it ordered while it's fresh in your mind. :)
Will do along with a new valve cover as they seemed to have misslayed my nice metal one and replaced it with a cheap black plastic one😡

• Sad
Reactions: Bal
Yes, make sure they are 'covers' and not full metal valve caps! I learnt the hard way! 😢

Reactions: Bal
So you can buy a spare wheel from say a Nissan qashqai or juke for probably about £50 with a tyre on it and it would do the job. Offset number is important, feel free to post any findings here I'm sure we can advise.

Having a random full sized wheel in the back on the floor would give you peace of mind is what I was thinking. If you don't have the slimmer spare for under the motor.

The tip about the wheel brace is essential, I have always had one in all of my cars as the OEM one isn't always enough. Make sure you have the correct socket.

Back