• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Red car with key symbol flashing in the dash

Mbo

Active Newbie
South East
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
South East
Hi All,. Picked up our E51 yesterday. Delighted with it but just got home from a day out and there is a red car symbol with a key in it flashing on the dash board. It's been fine all day and then started on way home after a stop at a petrol station where I left the family in the car, fob in my pocket and went in to get some bits. Any ideas please? We don't want to play about too much and land up with an issue. Thank you.

I have the same problem but also a constant beeping when the engine isn’t turned on. Really annoying. Anyone now how to stop it?

Nothing to worry about, It shows the ‘Immobiliser’ is armed :)
Can you tell me how the immobilizer works? Just bought Elgrand. noticed the red car flashing hard out on dash. Remote fob doesnt lock or unlock so use key to lock. I just bought car drove it and engine cuts out after driving it 5minutes. 12v battery checked ok but somethings running it flat.

Last edited:
I would first make sure the alternator is charging the battery. You should have just over 14 volts on the battery terminals with engine running. Also change the battery in the fob.

I would first make sure the alternator is charging the battery. You should have just over 14 volts on the battery terminals with engine running. Also change the battery in the fob.
Alternator checked by roadside assistance. Can anyone tell me how to stop immobilizer from working? I've seen a few people do that but not sure about Elgrand. Anyone know if it has a dedicated fuse or plug? I've got a faulty fob key. I don't need an Immobilizer. Thanks in advance. I'm a newbie so can't post in technical.

Just do five more random post and the forum will open up,you may have to log out then back in again

The key fob has two parts. The door entry part is battery powered, the immobiliser part is an RF chip and is activated by the pickup antennas in the car.

I don't think it would be possible to deactivate the immobiliser as it is an integral part of the system and without it nothing would work. The flashing red car light is always active when the ignition is turned off as an indication that the immobiliser is active. If it's flashing with the ignition on then you have a problem.

You may find that the generic code readers used by roadside assistance will not fully communicate with the Nissan Consult protocol so may be worth having it read with a Consult compatible scanner such as NDS2 or a Nissan dealer.

The key fob has two parts. The door entry part is battery powered, the immobiliser part is an RF chip and is activated by the pickup antennas in the car.

I don't think it would be possible to deactivate the immobiliser as it is an integral part of the system and without it nothing would work. The flashing red car light is always active when the ignition is turned off as an indication that the immobiliser is active. If it's flashing with the ignition on then you have a problem.

You may find that the generic code readers used by roadside assistance will not fully communicate with the Nissan Consult protocol so may be worth having it read with a Consult compatible scanner such as NDS2 or a Nissan dealer.
This is very helpful. Yes the red light flashing when driving. I think it could be the fob. It's very old and battered.

Thanks very much for that one. Just putting up some posts to be allowed into the inner sanctum.

I also have the constant beeping after everything is turned off. I recently had a flat battery and not sure what has changed to cause the quiet chirping noise. It sounds like it might be a reminder to turn something off but I c find it for the life of me. Any ideas?

I think you get a beeping if you exit the car, ignition off but gearstick not in Park.

Can't be sure of exact permutation of things, but just something to consider.

Mine also does this if the key is in the same pocket as my phone with NFC. I think it interferes with the signal.

Back