• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Please don't shout at me! Elgrand or Alphard?

arcascomp

Scotland
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
Scotland
I know you're all Elgrand fans and in my heart it's the perfect car (ok, rear aspect isn't it's greatest in my personal opinion, but otherwise..) but it is a thirsty bugger and LPG isn't always easy to come by. I'm going to look at a hybrid Alphard that local tomorrow which has had its hybrid battery replaced quite recently. In theory it's better for mpg, similar concept to Elgrand and allegedly Toyota have a slight edge on build quality. But God that front end is ugly!

So, Elgrand lovers, tell me all the reasons why I should be getting a train to Rotherham instead to buy an Elgrand!

I'm going to get lynched for saying it, but If the Alphard is customised right, they actually don't look that bad. I prefer boxy looking motors which is why the Elgrand fitted for me. I agree with Toyota build reputation (although that's only as good as the previous owners care etc). 1000004883.jpg

I do prefer the boxy look too, although the rear of an Alphard I think looks better, maybe they should cut and shut one!

Nissan's seats and dash are just that much nicer looking too. As with everything it's not just looks is it though, if it was I'd be much worse off in life! 😜😜

I do prefer the boxy look too, although the rear of an Alphard I think looks better, maybe they should cut and shut one!

Nissan's seats and dash are just that much nicer looking too. As with everything it's not just looks is it though, if it was I'd be much worse off in life! 😜😜
I think some Alphard rear ends look ok, some just look like a hot mess of lights.

The Elgrand looks better and is the better drive, but they have some know issues so you have to be careful when you buy. The Toyota is a safer bet and don’t seem to suffer any long term issues (maintenance assumed) … but they are a bit more expensive than the be Nissan … if yours has a new battery then it might be a good buy, defo worth considering… if you can live with the looks!!

The bottom line is there are pros and cons with each, and every decision in life means compromising on something. We all love our Elgrands, but it's your car at the end of the day, so only you know which is the best choice for you. Good luck which ever you go for 👍

Nothing wrong with the Alphards. Looks good imo
Are they 'nippy' like the 3.5 Elgrand is?
I'd have had one had a suitable one came up-not that I was specifically looking for one- but getting one with a multiple/360 camera, which I need, is hard

Everyone’s perception is going to be different and at the end of the day an alphard is good in its own rights for the right person
The only things that put me off one was , the body , the interior and the engine

Elgrands are more versatile imo.
I love boxy, vany looks, the space and middle row captain's seats, and if someone doesn't like the rear end, Alfarts are hideous.
@Holdfast4130 picture is quite nice but compare it to customised Elgrand.
I could probably live with Vellfire...
I don't know the Alfart's following, but here you've got a great community, support, parts and know how mechanics and that's priceless

Last edited:
I don't know the Alfards following, but here you've got a great community, support, parts and know how mechanics and that's priceless
Great point. I looked around and didn't find anything comparable, forum wise, for Alphards/Vellfires.

Mind you, I'd have a Hiace if i could drive

I have no experience of the Alphard so can't really comment on them. As others have said it has to be your choice, and any cars reliability depends on the previous owners care of it. Whichever you buy get it from a trusted dealer, or one of the long standing members of this group and you can't go far wrong. I bought my S2 E51 Elgrand Rider S Autec 18 months ago from a dealer in Kent, and it has never given me any cause for concern, and went through it's MOT with no problem. As you are unsure, you need to go and look at as many Elgrands and Alphards as you can before you decide, and make a list of everything you like and dislike about each model. Good luck in your search. :)

Just got back from a visit to Japan Glasgow motors in Wishaw to have a real good look at both Elgrand and Alphards. Didn't get as far as test driving an Alphard, but did take a 3.5 Elgrand out which finalised my indecision...... I'm here to stay! 😜

Alphards are also really nice, may even be marginally larger inside, or that could be just an illusion, but there's just a certain something about a nice Elgrand that I personally prefer. Can't even say what it is!

Cheers for all the great advice guys!

Just got back from a visit to Japan Glasgow motors in Wishaw to have a real good look at both Elgrand and Alphards. Didn't get as far as test driving an Alphard, but did take a 3.5 Elgrand out which finalised my indecision...... I'm here to stay! 😜

Alphards are also really nice, may even be marginally larger inside, or that could be just an illusion, but there's just a certain something about a nice Elgrand that I personally prefer. Can't even say what it is!

Cheers for all the great advice guys!
You know it makes sense, well done for going and trying

I've had a 2005 Alphard which was a front wheel drive 2.4l inline 4 cylinder petrol engine,

I then had 2007 rear wheel drive 2.5l V6 Elgrand HWS.
I now drive a 2006 RWD 3.5l V6 Elgrand Rider.
Both Elgrands are petrol engines with LPG conversions. MPG for all 3 wasn't much different but I would say that I found the Elgrands to be a better driving experience.

They seem to get a lot of trouble with the hybrids if you check the forum ,I do like the Alphards though and would like one just not the hybrid .

Reactions: Bal
Nothing wrong with the Alphards. Looks good imo
Are they 'nippy' like the 3.5 Elgrand is?
I'd have had one had a suitable one came up-not that I was specifically looking for one- but getting one with a multiple/360 camera, which I need, is hard
My cuz 3.5 alphard is a lot quicker than my 300bhp e52

Back