• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

Playing dvds question for a e52

stevie_514

Active Newbie
North East
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Elgrand
Looking to buy
Region
North East
Not tried this yet but can I play a dvd film on the front whilst DRIVING ? If not , can I bypass it & how ,Thnx

This is illegal in UK and probably most civilised countries, car needs to be modified with a bypass switch to be able to do this. Someone will I am sure point you towards one.

Thnz , abit unfair for the front passenger on a long journey.!!

I know some modern cars (Range Rover for example) have a screen that can only be seen by the passenger when showing a film so that’s ok. I don’t know if the E52 has this feature (51 doesn’t)

I know some modern cars (Range Rover for example) have a screen that can only be seen by the passenger when showing a film so that’s ok. I don’t know if the E52 has this feature (51 doesn’t)
E52 screen not that clever. Just a regular LCD screen.

OK I will try find a dvd and find out first if it plays both front and back first.

If it works anything like my S3, you will be able to play dvd in rear and have a normal display on front.

This share is based on my personal experience. It is also subjective based on personal taste...

@stevie_514

1. The original system config (factory unit) blanks out the DVD video when you start driving. Only rear passengers can watch video. If you want to watch video then sit in the back, get the mrs to drive and enjoy the comfort :p
2. You might be able to override the settings by installing one of those @ElGrand52 cables from ZenMarket or AliExpress. Do this at your own risk as I cannot confirm if that will even work. The block has been put there for a reason and the E52s are quite smart
3. Do a CKapasa solution by ripping out the rigid OEM install and get something a bit more modern and flexible. Eg. install a full Android unit that you can configure specifically as required. You can turn on / off the setting to "Allow Video When Driving" via advanced system settings menu. Remember that if you stick in an Android Auto as opposed to Full Android then you will probably still hit the same obstacle of video switching off when you exceed 5 mph.

Ps. With Android head units you probably wont even need archaic DVD. You can do YouTube, Netflix, Disney, NowTV or any other streaming service. Alternatively you can stick in a USB stick with a whole world of different file formats all being playable.

Disclaimer : This solution is not necessarily encouraging you to break the law. Its just an eye opener to some of the brilliant possibilities that Android stereos can offer. Funny thing is since installing one of these in my E52, I have not once played video because its just not practical. We have however on a long journey (to Disney Paris) stopped at a French layby and while having our sandwiches watched half of the Emoji Movie. Great experience for the kids!

Lastly, If you do get an Android stereo please get one that has the firmware specifically for your car (eg. Nissan Elgrand E52 / Quest 2011-2016). These will come with a canbus that interfaces with your car for all controls like steering wheel / aircon / 360 cameras / doors etc

This share is based on my personal experience. It is also subjective based on personal taste...

@stevie_514

1. The original system config (factory unit) blanks out the DVD video when you start driving. Only rear passengers can watch video. If you want to watch video then sit in the back, get the mrs to drive and enjoy the comfort :p
2. You might be able to override the settings by installing one of those @ElGrand52 cables from ZenMarket or AliExpress. Do this at your own risk as I cannot confirm if that will even work. The block has been put there for a reason and the E52s are quite smart
3. Do a CKapasa solution by ripping out the rigid OEM install and get something a bit more modern and flexible. Eg. install a full Android unit that you can configure specifically as required. You can turn on / off the setting to "Allow Video When Driving" via advanced system settings menu. Remember that if you stick in an Android Auto as opposed to Full Android then you will probably still hit the same obstacle of video switching off when you exceed 5 mph.

Ps. With Android head units you probably wont even need archaic DVD. You can do YouTube, Netflix, Disney, NowTV or any other streaming service. Alternatively you can stick in a USB stick with a whole world of different file formats all being playable.

Disclaimer : This solution is not necessarily encouraging you to break the law. Its just an eye opener to some of the brilliant possibilities that Android stereos can offer. Funny thing is since installing one of these in my E52, I have not once played video because its just not practical. We have however on a long journey (to Disney Paris) stopped at a French layby and while having our sandwiches watched half of the Emoji Movie. Great experience for the kids!

Lastly, If you do get an Android stereo please get one that has the firmware specifically for your car (eg. Nissan Elgrand E52 / Quest 2011-2016). These will come with a canbus that interfaces with your car for all controls like steering wheel / aircon / 360 cameras / doors etc
Cheers for that, I had a Bmw 4 series a few cars ago.....the same issue but it was as simple as coding it out using an OBD adapter.

Back