• Welcome to the ElgrandOC forum.

You will find that the majority of the forum is locked, but do not worry. You can unlock more content by registering to the forum completely free. Sign up is automatic, does not require email confirmation and is instant. Feel free to browse through the sections to see what topics have been covered before you register.
    You can register for an account by CLICKING HERE

Once you have registered, you will unlock more of the forum content. You will not unlock all of the content until you have reached 10 posts. This is to give you an opportunity to chat to existing members and help to integrate you into the forum community.
    We are a friendly and helpful community and there is a wealth of infomation contained within the forum. Please feel free to register, introduce yourself and get to know your fellow members.

Feel free to look at the Frequently Asked Questions section, the Meets/Events section and the Competition Section without having to register.
    We look forward to getting to know you and help you with any questions or problemd you have with your Elgrand.

New Head Unit, or just use your Smartphone?

john.parham

Devon/Cornwall
E51 Owner
Reaction score
First Name
John
Elgrand
E51
Region
Devon/Conrwall
Hi All,
5 day old Newbie here! Still hunting for a decently priced S2 NE51 XL with cruise here in the UK. Don't really care how long it takes to find the right one, although of course, the sooner the better!

And while I'm waiting, what's the current view on either a replacement double DIN head unit for UK use, or not bother and just connect your Smartphone up to the AV input 3 phono sockets? Keeps the dash stock.
I don't use DVDs in the car and the kids all fledged years ago, so I'm thinking either just get a wired adapter to connect smartphone up to the AV, or attach a bluetooth transceiver to the AV inputs and connect wirelessly from phone to car...

Any opinions/preferences/downsides of using smartphone - other than data use?
ps
Think I've still got a Nokia 6310i, so may try attaching that the 'telephone cable' to see if it works... that's while 3G still exists...

Thanks in advance

If you are after a S2 then just get a double din. Imo

Same postion as yourself - I have just fitted one of these and works a treat. Does all you want above.
@Sneggysteve looking at buying pure 600 myself (great price on your link btw).

Daft question, but how does it connect to the stock stereo? I've searched high and low for some install instructions but can't find them anywhere!

Thanks.

The pure radio sends out a radio signal that the original tunes into. You can Bluetooth to it if you have music on your phone. I got the pure 600, has incar phone but it's not very good.

The phone part not the radio side. Had mine nearly 3 years decent bit of kit.

The pure radio sends out a radio signal that the original tunes into. You can Bluetooth to it if you have music on your phone. I got the pure 600, has incar phone but it's not very good.
Thanks @Clsjason - I'll need to use the phone quite a bit so I'm pleased you've told me that. May need to look elswhere.

I was looking at this as I just can't be arsed messing around with the existing unit ..

@deemi786 - thanks for this, I'm at that point too.

I bought a new pumpkin unit and the new facia to fit it while I was waiting for the van to arrive, but now it's here I'm not sure that I want to change it as I like the oem look and it's got a really cool patterned surround which I would need to replace with a plain black one if I was gonna fit a new head unit.

The unit on the link you sent me looks pretty cool. I had a hunt around and found some that had a front-facing camera fitted too (which was something I wanted to fit at some point) so think I might go for this option.

Did you buy that unit in your link? If so, how is the functionality?

Hi, I was perfectly happy with using a Bluetooth FM transmitter and phone holder for 4 years of daily use, even did a write up!

Regarding the search for an XL with cruise control, that's a very specific search so might take a long time. Is there a particular reason you want an XL? They are no more likely to have cruise control than a highway star in my opinion. It's just whatever was ticked on the option box. From personal experience though, I found the factory cruise control dangerous and not very usable. It's so sensitive that the radar detects cars in other lanes when you go round corners, thus hitting the brakes for no reason, but it's a very old system having been designed over 20 years ago. Even worse is mine has broken now, I can't fix it as you can't find the parts or anyone who knows to fix it, and I now have a constant warning light that will never go away and could potentially mean an MOT fail I can't do anything about. I wish it hadn't bothered (and don't get me started about crappy leaking sunroofs!!) Good luck in your search though!

decently priced S2 NE51 XL with cruise here in the UK.

Factory cruise control is rare and really limits your choice. I fitted this. Works well and had a speed limiter is great around town and in 20mph zones:

Autostrada cruise control uses an OEM style switch (but doesn't have the speed limiter)

Regards XL, a well optioned HWS or Rider will come with the things that an XL has. The only reason to limit your search to XL is if you want 16" wheels, only a light tint to the rear windows or don't want skirts on the side.

Split your list into essentials and nice-to-haves and consider employing the services of, say, Winchester motors (he's on this forum and is great) who will go look for and buy your vehicle, import, prep it etc. Other importers offer this service - if they're active on this forum they're good 👍

Last edited:
Back